Please reconsider your mod check model for pickup games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elbo, Jul 20, 2012.

1. elbo

elbo Registered

as the title says, please reconsider your virtual mod - track check for pickup games.
    I understand that this feature of tying the tracks to the mod is an integral part of your game but please give us a 'pickup game' option where the only thing checked is the current track being used and the car being used.

It is such a pain to see for instance a game at mid-ohio with clios, try to join, find out you don't have the correct virtual mod (by the way the virtual mod download is cool) then find out you have to go out hunting for botaring and croft to finally be able to play a game for which you have the car and track (midohio) being currently used but not some track the the virtual mod points to but that is not being played...it is enough to make you gnaw your own arm off!!

Please concider a 'pick up game' feature that does away with the virtual mod please...the frustration level of your current system when 100's of tracks will be in existance will kill online play.

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Not to mention it does not solve the issues of the rF1 online mess, because you still have to go hunting for components.

3. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

with the advantage of being able to download the mod from the server..

4. Jos

Jos Registered

unless the tracks get automaticly downloaded, but then the v-mod must not contain to many tracks or the download time will be too long.

5. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

6. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

This.

7. osella

osella Registered

And disadvantage being you might need to have tons of mods and tracks you totally don't care about.
    People say whatever, hdd space is so cheap today. 2 problems:
    1)more and more ppl like me want to install the game on SSD. SSD space is anything but cheap. Btw, even on SSD rf2 tracks load slower than rf1 tracks on normal hdd.
    2)even on hdd I just don't want useless gigabytes and thousands of files, to minimize fragmentation and to have all folders clean and arranged.
    The system is not good :(
    But I'm sure it will change somehow.

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Still doesn't solve the issue of people using old versions of tracks on their mods. Pickup racing/open server racing sucks anyways.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

No you're right it doesn't but at least it means i can go hunting for just the one track rather than for a bunch of tracks that i am not interested in.

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Still it has nothing to do with vmod (rfmod). Single components (like tracks) are identified by ModID. Any server might give you missing ModIDs next to component name.

2 days ago we have discussion about rfmod on our forum. No one (even who defends this idea) was able to name any single advantage of rfmod which couldn't be replaced by other solutions. Solutions free of rfmods drawbacks.

I still waiting for some word about it from ISI. Please, give me at least one advantage which proves that rfmod is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

With only a dozen or so tracks for the game right now, I am already getting can't get mod errors and I HAVE EVERY TRACK THAT'S BEEN MADE PUBLIC FOR RF2. But I also keep the most up to date versions so a server running Sears Point 1.35 right now that looks good but is running in the rotation (but t's not on the server right now) Fuji 1.0... I can't get on. I may have all 11 other tracks, but that 1 goddamn track that is 9 tracks away in the rotation is keeping me from that race when I DO HAVE THAT TRACK. :mad:

It's keeping me from your product, ISI. This is a MAJOR part of why there's so few drivers online.

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Advantage of rfmod is ease of assembly and installation. That's not too hard to figure out.

13. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I have found one, but no more.

I like the hillclimb and in rFactor had a few circuits. The problem was that I had more or less 300 circuits in total and sometimes cost a bit to find a particular circuit.
    With this system I can create a VMOD and I can put all Hillclimb circuits with the cars you want and so is it all a bit more orderly.

As option the system is not bad, even has some advantages, but for everything else is a huge and annoying pain in the ass.

We all know that rFactor system was not perfect, but now is a lot worse than before. How many people are playing in Monza, or at Mid-Ohio, or Fuji, or in Topeka .... In Croft there is some ambient, but it is only because feels3 bother to include VMOD, if people had had to seek VMOD or simply press the button Get MOD, there would be no one playing in Croft either.

When we complained many of the same is for something. Please ISI, this system does not work and you have to remove it from online. To enter a server must be the only thing necessary to have components installed that are currently using.

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

easy of asembly is not an advantage of rfmod. it is its attribute.
    advantage means that it gives something more than other solutions.

so, please try it again

15. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Compared to rf1 system without rfmod???

Thats the greatest Joke i heared for years now...

+1

1 person likes this.
  16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Chances are your square head is quite the joke as well. :)

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You asked a question I answered it. I guess you're too much of a pollack to understand. Don't pretend to speak english if you really can't. :)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I find installation more difficult/taxing/troublesome than unzipping to correct folder.

There has to be talk about updates needing to install at correct order, mods not showing up in mod manager to install etc.

With zip it is just doubleclick, navigate to tracks folder and drag track folder in zip to your locations folder.

Another issue currently is that to have track also in dev mode it can be bit of pain to get track to dev mode so you can test your car in making properly. Well this is issue mostly with ISI tracks, others seem to go nicely to dev mode too, but you need to put package to packages, install the package to single player and then copy track from installed folder to dev mode folder so you end up having track installed twice and at least I keep all packages too as you never know when you need to re-install and downloading a track is taking around 30mins to hour for each of them.

Also how can I know that in rfmod there is no some nasty surprises coming masked as a track or car? With zip I can check what is inside before installing anything to my computer.

Basicly what is wrong in this system is same thing that is wrong with everything automated 'helping' system, they work as long as nothing is not going to be outside of what programmers have considered, but fail when situation comes that programmer has not been able to foresee. I believe there could be simpler methods for getting solutions to problems that this system was aimed to.

I often adjust cars that I download, quite often I can spot things to improve, with current system that is not very simple thing to do, at least not with ISI content as you will need to do quite bit of extra work to get cars working in dev mode, where you can adjust things, in single player mode adjusting is not possible. I actually drove lot less than what I did adjust cars in rF1, what I seek is not race but to perfect virtually created vehicle, this is now lot more work and system is making such way to use product less interesting.

This is conclusion that I have reached so far.
    When rF2 beta started, I did look forward to new system, openly I gave it chance, but at the moment what I have seen and experienced is having more negative effect toward system than positive, it takes more than it gives and thus some improvements would be welcome, to make it more smooth and less limiting experience.

19. osella

osella Registered

Exactly the rf1 system was OK. Sure there were mismatches but I didn't care because
    public races just suck, this will never change,
    if you play with some friends its not problem to point them somewhere so everyone has the same files.

I wish to extract/copy the mod again, and DRIVE as well.

This and ffb issues on logi wheels are things that are putting me off rf2. Everything else seems wonderful. But if these won't change until gold, I sure won't play gold more than once.

20. sg333

sg333 Registered

I never had any problems with RF1, because most people using it anyway understood enough to solve any mismatch issues quickly. But, like the first poster said, im in the same situation - have Clios and Croft, yet need to install several other tracks I dont want or need, just to install a vmod!.

One step forward, ten back.