Please help find my shadows...

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by marvelharvey, Apr 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Frankalexandre

Frankalexandre Registered

I must apologize...what fix it is not nvidia driver....when i reloaded my bios profile with overclocked cpu the shadows got shorter again.... reloaded optimized default and they are ok again. Crazy. o_O

2. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

What motherboard to you have Frankalexandre?

Weird that the shadows length is controlled by whether or not your CPU is overclocked. I think I tried reverting my clockspeed, but with no effect. I'll try again tonight though!

3. Frankalexandre

Gigabyte z370 ultra.

4. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Thanks. Great that you've found an on/off 'switch' for this bug. If I have the same switch, we may be onto something!

I may also try rolling back the motherboard firmware.

5. Frankalexandre

I dont think it is the cpu clock. More probability of other bios settings...like memory or other change made for overclock. My over profile is using xmp for memory, disabled cpu states and some other settings. Needs more testing but for now im happy because the default mb profile also overclock a bit. My over was 4.8 ghz and now im at 4.5. Not that bad.

6. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I reverted my ASUS z370-F back to standard settings, but sadly no change in shadow length. Tried a number of different firmwares too, but to no avail.

I play around with individual bios settings and see if I get any results.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Did you perform a full reboot when changing OC settings in BIOS? Windows 10 has a feature where it does a quick boot shutdown by default unless you use the "restart" option. Quick boot doesn't really fully reboot OS but instead uses a stored image of kernel etc.

Anyway, other than that, I don't think any BIOS setting would really affect the way graphics are drawn in game. It was most likely a pure accident that your problem got fixed with BIOS change. I think it's some other factor causing it.

8. Frankalexandre

I did some testing....for me it is the bios for sure. Now i managed to load the default settings and made a base overclock only changing cpu voltage and clock to 4.8 and still get good shadows. My previous overclock changing a lot of settings make the shadows short.

9. Frankalexandre

Now i have find the bios settings that make the shadows short for me. HYPERTHREADING must be on. If i set it off the shadows are short. Back to on and shadows are fine. With or without overclock.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm still trying to work out how you got such distant shadows in the first place (those screenshots are Matsusaka, right?) I have a consistent slight difference in shadow distance between cockpit and other views, but the variance is something like 90m vs 100m (very rough estimate). If I jump into Matsusaka at the default 10am practice time, and face backwards in the pits, only the nearest pit walls are shadowed. If I switch cameras the next pit (or so) becomes shadowed. Your screenshot looks like they'd ALL be shadowed.

I think FOV is playing some part in different interpretations of shadow distance. With default FOV the difference (that I get) with shadow length is noticeable but not obvious. With low FOV (my monitor position makes vFOV 27 correct) the end of the shadow looks closer and the difference is more obvious.

I tried a number of different settings in the game and my CPU settings (no overclock, but turbo and speedstep) with no change, I don't have HT though.

11. xzess

xzess Registered

Humm I'll try default clocks for my Pc, but I use AMD and I don't have hyperthreading. Maybe it's a rfactor CPU rating detection. I'll dig in this tomorrow. Thanks.

12. xzess

xzess Registered

Putting back clocks to default does not work on my setup, reseting conifg.ini doesn't do the trick too. It's really bad that we are not be able to change shadow distance draw with a simple option. And maybe is CPU dependant, to pump FPS silently cutting off the shadows, I don't know what to think now.

And I don't like that devs don't care about this, It's near gamebraking, they didn't say a single word.

13. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Several people, including devs and testers have tried to help and reproduce this problem. It is not being ignored, we just have not been able to reproduce it or narrow it down.

Goanna likes this.