PLEASE give us a real laser scanned version of the NORDSCHLEIFE !!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dadaboomda, May 24, 2016.

1. Magzire

Magzire Registered

LOL there is some hardcore fanboys here with their heads so far up their ..... to rather a non scanned track.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Laser scanned or not, doesn't matter if it's surveyed properly like ISI Silverstone/Indy/Atlanta etc. Laser scanning is just a technique. The reason I'd rather see something else than Nords is a) it would take over a year to complete for ISI track team b) my league has no use of it, only endurance leagues will find it useful. My reasoning is perfectly sound, besides I can already hotlap around Nords in other sims.

3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

There is a laser scanned version in rf2, but it isn't legal (illegal conversion), it is really good. But it is difficult to find it.... Google Google eh eh

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Unless you plan on racing the actual track, there simply is no reason for a laser-scanned version.
    You'll gain absolutely zero benefit and it'll only tie up resources.

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Untill you drive it, and every other non scanned (con)version feels like it's not the same track...

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

+1

7. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not that much different. I drove the DJC/Tosch Nordshleife and it took me only a couple of laps to get on pace with AC laser scanned one, it didn't feel like I had to learn a new circuit and not once did I get a feeling of being lost. A couple of corners are a bit tighter and narrower than in the modded version, but overall it's similar enough for me.

8. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

There is a lot of différences between laser scanned and the version of Tosch. I can't agree with what you said. Many corrners are différent, and not only corners, bumps, elevation changes, etc. etc., graphics compared to reality.

*If YOU DON'T LIKE SPECIFICALLY THIS track, THE TOSCH VERSION HOWEVER IS GOOD. BUT WHEN YOU LOVE THIS TRACK, YOU CAN NOT SATISFY BY THE TOSCH VERSION.

!!!It's that simple!!!

9. Marek Lesniak

@stontec
    Have you driven the track in real life?

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Nope, why would I need to drive it in real life? I assume Assetto Corsa version is basically 1:1 with real life unless they failed with laser scan. So since I got used to AC version within few laps after only having practised on DJC/Tosch, it means DJC/Tosch one can't be too much wrong.

11. Marek Lesniak

I'd say, it should be a pleasure to drive there in real life, not a need ;-)
    For me (been there, on the real track), differences between those versions are too big, too noticable to the point, I just don't drive on what we have in rF2. But of course, if for others that's still good enough, then good for them :)

12. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Thanks for ruining my dreams. Even though I've never been there I felt like I've driven it a million times, now that's gone [emoji12]
    On a serious note, the resources required to make a laser scanned version mean that ISI will most likely never do one. Tim mentioned as much before and while things can always change I just don't see it happening. But, as has been suggested before, a mod team getting a hold of the required data and then doing it for a price would be our best chance. Weather it makes sense financially I have no clue, judging by the fact that no one has attempted it yet I guess it doesn't.
    TK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I realise it might not suit the laser-scan purists, but if a track is noticeably 'wrong', or is measurably different from some reference (let's say google earth, for example), I don't see why it's not feasible to bend/shape the existing track so it more closely follows that reference. For sure it's possible to move game objects arbitrarily (even the GMTs directly, without any need for an editor), I've no doubt it's possible to also rejig the maps if necessary (though I'm not sure it would be) should the angle of faces change a little.

Not saying it would be straightforward, but it has to be possible. If you tweak a track so it's no longer noticeably/measurably wrong, I know laser-scan fans still won't like it (though any laser scan track has its own approximations, albeit on a smaller scale) but it would probably be close enough for most.

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Elevation is not accurate in google earth.

It should be pretty easy to check how accurate the 2D layout is.

It can also be compared with AC version.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Moving objects is the simple part, fitting the surface to new elevations including all walls and stuff that is continuosly surrounding the track is much harder, because you need to adjust each vertex. Depending on how detailed the track mesh is, it may take a long time, much longer than was spent on this conversion at least. It sounds to me like pointless work unless you have good reference data.

16. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

i hope some modder make the illegal version prettier.it has great lay out( off course its laser scanned conversion from some game )but graphically its way worse than toban, matsusaka or other isi tracks.

17. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Any talk of unauthorized rips will be deleted and user will get a first warning.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can attack a whole folder (well, multiple folders really, if you wanted) of GMTs and change the vert positions directly. I've done it myself for other reasons, but not in a way that would allow the sort of tweaking/bending you might want to do in this situation. I've only got a vague idea of how you'd want to approach that, and no idea on how to make it friendly (ie graphical). But if you could translate an arbitrary old location to a new location (based on some sort of input grid/data), the actual vert moving isn't tough at all.

*Clarification: I mean directly editing the .GMT files using a tool, not opening up GMTs in an editor and doing stuff. But the tool I made for very different purposes is very... raw. No real interface to speak of, it just reads in vert data and writes out new vert positions into the GMTs... my point simply being it is possible to do, and I wonder if someone has a reason it doesn't work. I suspect there might be something because I haven't seen indications of track layouts being altered in this way before; it seems a completed track is left that way, except for a little fixing here and there.

19. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That's FFD, and it's really working rubbish in this case as it's not only "moving" but also deforming and it does not keep assets linked to each other while applying deformation forces. As I suggested several times, these kind of "fix" are slower, and most of the time worse, than a scratch&fresh made loft.