Please fix the Radical (old) FFB S397

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Nov 17, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Either way it's usually best to have the latest release, as for your issue then I reckon it lies deeper somewhere, if it was an obvious flaw then we'd all have it as bad as you but clearly that is not the case. Could be a USB driver issue or something? I dunno, would be good to extinguish all possible areas though.

2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i think it's the same as what people describe here. I was just looking into it more closely when it comes into effect. I noticed at a crawl it seems to buzz off throttle.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I don't get that at all with this car, that's what I meant by if we'd all have it then it'd be obvious.
    Edit: that is if everyone got the same vibrating like mad then we'd hear about it more than not.

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

its not like mad sorry had a drink lol it just creates the notchy feeling people are having.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In order to compare FFB between different cars, I have built a test track where I can make some controlled tests.
    The track layout is made of concentric circles to test different turning radii and speeds
    The smallest one has a 250 m length (low speed and the biggest one (full throttle) has a 2000 m length
    It also has 2500 m straight to account for full speed and acceleration tests.
    Here is the link in case someone is interested in using it. Don't look for eye candy. :)
    https://mega.nz/#!3pUWnJwK!LiAGBxjNz9XLwG8G5yIOVHB3bgKCPWYdTM1nerdnfCs

I have tested all cars with default setup, FFB multiplier in 1 and default steering angle.
    I have used the 1250 m ring where you cannot go full throttle. Al cars averaged around 200 kph.
    In the pictures below you can check for the big differences between cars.

The range around which FFB varies has been obtained by zooming to an area where FFB was more or less stable.
    This is difficult to achieve for AMG where FFB is so low that even changes sign for moments.
    In the second picture you can see how much is the max to min ratio of the above graph.
    McLaren and Radical show the lowest variation with a lower than 2 ratio. Radical and Bentley have values over 3.

As it can be seen, the cars with lowest FFB to sterrring shaft torque ratio have the greatest variation.
    A second aspect that can be seen is that the linearity is very bad as well for AMG which increases the problem.

The last pictures show FFB and steering shaft torque values in the best lap I got from each car.
    Here you can check what the first two graphs try to summarize.

Maybe the car team finds it interesting.
    upload_2017-11-23_1-54-4.png
    Comparison of FFB ranges variation and FFB Max / MIn ratio
    upload_2017-11-23_1-56-42.png
    FFB vs Steering Shaft Torque

upload_2017-11-23_0-41-41.png
    McLaren 650S

upload_2017-11-23_0-43-30.png
    Bentley Continental

upload_2017-11-23_0-44-44.png
    Mercedes AMG

upload_2017-11-23_0-50-9.png
    Callaway Corvette

upload_2017-11-23_1-41-42.png
    Radical RXC GT3

upload_2017-11-23_1-49-42.png
    USF2000

upload_2017-11-23_0-52-26.png
    RADICAL SR3

upload_2017-11-23_0-59-7.png
    TEST TRACK (1250m ring)

Ozzy, TJones, Rastas and 7 others like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is amazing! Great idea. You can certainly get consistent data from such a circuit. Perhaps you could dig into the Right Hand drive vs Left hand drive Radical as well. I'd be interested to visualize what folks have discovered while driving.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I already tried both radicals. They were quite similar in terms of FFB. Straight line testing will show how much the wheel drifts to the side in the. I was surprised to see that LH Radical was 0,1seconds faster than RH version considering its tendency to go naturally to the left being a right handed track.

I will also create the reverted version as an alternative layout and the straight line start to finish drag curcuits (500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 distances) to test for best acceleration time and training if I can figure it out how to create a working AI.

I will also address tire behaviour between the compared cars because I have seen some interesting difference in how they evolve. I go to bed now. I'll keep you intrigued meanwhile.

8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

respect spaskis great information!

9. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I tried it this morning.

I had strong vibrations in my steering wheel as on the AC Cobra. Very surprised I had to go down to about 0.55 multiplier coefficient (t500 rs).

So the FFB were not enough present for my taste.

I did 1 round of nords (21km) and really I did not feel a lot of driving pleasure not to mention the sound of the engine (motorcycle?) Pretty unpleasant.

In short, very disappointed with this experience.

10. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Just to add to the sample, I've driven the car maybe 3-4 times during the past month and hadn't had any notchy feeling to it in a Logitech with 0% smoothing.
    If anything, it feels different than the GT3 pack. The only way I can think of describing it is as if tires were stiffer but not unpleasant, just different, something like Marc is describing i guess

11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Last time i tested it (a month or so back) it was "notchy". Hard to explain, but rough FFB basically.

12. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Tried again.
    For a t500rs, with multiplier coeff = 0.6, that is great. Not a fantastic car but great. Ok now for the FFB.

13. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Been looking for a test track like this so well done and thank you.
    However, I failed to get onto the long straight seeing as there was a gap between that and the rest of the track and I fell off.
    I didn't get hurt but I am wondering if it's me failing to find the correct path onto the straight the little time I spent testing or if it's just something in need of a fix.

SPASKIS likes this.
  14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for the feedback and interest.
    It is the very first working version of the track. The idea is to work on it by implementing the required paths for testing different things.
    In the end everything will be correctly connected without holes.

At the moment there should be small path but, if you fail to drive through it, you are probably right and there is a bug there. My idea would be to create a specific layout selectable prior to loading the track for the straight where it would count the time taken to do certain distance (dragster mode).

Christos Segkounas likes this.
  15. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Yeah, I figured there could be a choice of layout on the track selection screen.
    Will keep an eye open for an update then.

16. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

With the Radical sr3 , I drive with à ffb between 0.45 and 0.55.
    I have a DD.

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I decide to make a big 7250 m oval instead of an isolated straight in the side.
    I also made a smaller 4000 m version of it with the Drag Track inside.
    An open circular area for drifting or driving around in the opposite turn to the concentric circles.

I might include some jumping platforms to have some fun

upload_2017-11-25_10-52-23.png

Guimengo and Skan like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

With a few more INCA like symbols,(nacelles on each side) you could prove that a Federation Starship visited our planet thousands of years ago and left those patterns in the weeds!

jayarrbee36 and SPASKIS like this.
  19. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I tested again. Multiplier coefficient at 0.65 on a T500rs.

I find the FFB good but quite different from other cars which seems normal : homologated road car + ultra-sports car with a prototype look and everything that goes with.

20. tpw

tpw Registered

With the same FFB multiplier and smoothing that I use for all the vehicles in rF2, the SR3 feels like its going to shake my T300 to pieces. It's like the small forces such as road surface detail are radically (get it, radically) magnified and the whole thing feels like it's grinding sand. With this and the unraceable AI, this otherwise beautiful car is getting essentially no track time for me.

patchedupdemon likes this.