Pico Neo 3 Link and rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Deleted member 58016, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Hi

As I was looking for a solution past few days and currently it seems like I have found a workaround by myself I would like to share it ...

... maybe someone else has something to add or it will be the initial post of a thread supporting the Pico Neo Link 3 VR headset.

Installation:
    I am not sure about the software which is downloadable at Picos website, but I installed DP Link and DP Assistant, did a factory reset on the headset itself (press and hold power button for more than 10 seconds) and afterwards I configured it by the instructions which can be seen while wearing the headset.

Configuring Pico:
    Beside the standard configuration I decided to switch on "start DP link when DP ink cable is attached" (or something like that ... I am running it in German language).

SteamVR:
    There is nothing special about it - after installing Pico tools and drivers (see above) I installed SteamVR via Steam.

Running rF2:
    I encountered that rF2 seems to be configured once again with the "graphics configuration" tool and at least so I did.

Before launching rF2 it seems to be necessary to launch DP Link and to press / click cable connection, then closing it (make sure there is no configuration dialog in the VR headset itself, if so answer with "start DP link") and opening DP assistant. Normally USB and DP connection should light up in green.

Also SteamVR will be started and I did not find any option in DP assistant to disable this, so close SteamVR right after it has been opened.

Wait for it being closed completely and - I do sometimes - close Steam, too.

If so the VR headset will show black / blank screen - start Steam again after a couple of seconds.

A click on rFactor 2 should launch SteamVR and some seconds after (I needed to learn to be a bit more patient) rF2 will launch - mirror screen on your monitor if you have configured it with "HMD+mirror" previously.

Problems:
    1. running other apps like fpsVR which are being started by SteamVR automatically seem to make problems as it delays the start or availability (don't know how to describe) and rF2 will state "no hmd present" or "vr runtime cannot be initialized"
    2. Windows updates seem to be problematic; if an update has been applied run the rF2 graphics configuration tool once again ... one time I needed to reinstall DP tools and SteamVR because runtimes were updated by MS
    3. while having DP assistant started and SteamVR opens, the Pico controllers may be shown twice / doubled in SteamVR will not work as you expect them to work (but I cannot get rF2 running with DP link started)
    4. if VR center button (configured in rF2, default backspace) will not work on the welcome / click to start screen, rf2 needs to be closed and started again (otherwise it will be displayed in a kind of cinema mode without tracking enabled as expected)
    Tips on the headset:
    1. it is not really mentioned by Pico and it is only written on the connector description site in the printed manual of the DP link cable, but a 12 volts power supply (watch polarity!) can be connected (some people guess at least of 1A current) to run the headset by power supply and not by battery for long term sessions
    Maybe some other people do have better solutions or do know how to avoid that sequence of starting the Pico apps / tools etc. pp.

I searched the web last days and there is not that much information as most of the apps could be started while SteamVR already running, which causes an error message with rF2 on my system (rF2 does not support VR ...).

2. Heikki21

Heikki21 Registered

Hello hello :) I am a Pico Neo 3 Link user as well, mainly playing AMS2 and rF2. I can run both sims without any issues. The good thing about the PN3L is, that you can run steamVR without the controllers connected, but just with the buttons on the side of the headset. So I always disconnect the controllers before. If I want to connect the headset, first thing I do is starting the pico desktop app, meanwhile booting the headset and than connect it with the DP cable. The pico app identifies the headset and automatically starts steamVR. Sometimes I need to look through the headset and apply "DP connection" inside the pico headset. And that's it. fpsVR is also running. My settings are at 72hz and around 2500x2400 per eye (86% in steam settings) and the picture is crystal clear with stable frames. I am also having a power supply connected at the DP cable. So it loads while playing and is always 100% charged. I can have a look what kind of charger it is if you like :)

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  3. I do have a power supply which will fit, but I would appreciate if you could write down in detail the sequence of what you are doing in order to start rF2 :)

I got it I think but written as a list would it make easier to follow. I think the main difference is, that you are starting the apps before connecting the cable.

I am running the PN3L at 100% and 125% in SteamVR at 90 Hz with a 3080 and high graphic settings without any problems so far.

Thanks in advance.

4. Update

Currently it seems to be pretty stable while using an older Nvidia driver - there were some other problems which could be connected with the recent release, so I went back to 522.30 studio driver.

I power on the PN3L and I am waiting for the menu popping up choosing "start dp link connection" (or "streaming by dp link") and wait until the screen inside the PN3L is black; then I start Steam, wait for it being opened fully, start SteamVR and two or three seconds after that I click rfactor 2 being started.

No DP assistant or DP link started before.

I will check it out next days, because I do not want to try a start two or three times everytime I want to use VR.