Physics and tire models of racing sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korva7, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

There is lot of talk about assetto corsa's ffb to be fake/canned but is there any evidence about that?

Andregee says there that kunos have said it to be "generated by the suspension geometry" and i can't say that it couldn't be so. There is separate slider for "slip effect" in AC, and i have put it to 0 beacause i think it might be kind of canned effect that tries to simulate vibration of the car you feel through your seat under slide. But otherwise it feels pretty okay to me.

There is differences to rF2 and one is refreshrate of ffb. I remember i heard that rF2's was 400hz and AC's 60hz. Can't be sure about those numers, but could that cause AC to feel more artificial and cause people to be more suspicioius about it's "realness"?

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

AC's ffb has always felt terrible to me , but then some others think it's brill -tires feel basic but maybe as a result of the ffb -canned effects are obvious (press the brake whilst car stationary is an example) & those slider "effects" are laughable

iracing ffb is solid now -improved a hell of a lot over last 3 to 4 builds (new build every 3 months approx ) they seem to stick to keeping it simple & well defined low "noise" in the forces, tires have improved also & communicate a lot more logically now

rf2 ffb has always been super, there's alot going on & it works very well maxing out user sensation & surpasses a point of quailty of what I'd ever thought to be possible, tires are nice too although I've felt they should seem a tad "sharper" -a bit more difined in how they communicate to the user, flat spotting etc are advanced features that are great to have too ( ps not used rf2 over last 2 or 3 builds so my info here may be a tad out of date )

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Dude big changes recently I think starting with 930 or prior build. Just FYI.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks PSR, I look forward to trying rf2 again, sims are getting mind blowingly good hey, we are very very lucky !

5. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Here is someone driving the same car and track in gsce as he has driven in real life.
    5.20->

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I will say that I really hope the problem lies in the ffb (canned to a certain degree).
    If it doesn't then it means that the underlying physics are even more flawed than I thought...

7. Acoutsa

Acoutsa Registered

It is clear that most of us find that AC gives us a force feedback steering wheel that is not necessarily based on reality and car physics is not really believable !! I find AC realistic enough on its force feedback on the steering wheel and on the physics of cars !! Yesterday I start to play Rf2 is I realized that it is far more fluid driving FFB level and at the level of drift that is very difficult to faires !! Also the graphics level Rf2 is much better !!

8. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Interesting stuff. I did jump over plane things, and haven't watched it to the end yet.

One thing they speak about is that Pacejka formulas don't work at slow speeds, so sims that use Pacejka formulas have to use different formulas in slow speeds, and driving at the speed where formulas are changing might feel wierd or difficult.

9. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

In AC steam forlder system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini there is text:

[FORCE_FEEDBACK]
    MAX_FF_RATE_HZ=333

I assume that it the refresh rate .

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Okay. It probably is not causing much difference then. Thanks.

I'm almost at the end of the video i sent. They speak about sticks and stones simulation. You may have to watch the video to understand, but i have a image that rFactor2 tire model is more about sticks and stones than Pacejka, or some other, formulas. Atleast, the idea of trying to model tyre's construction, makes me think like that.

11. msportdan

msportdan Banned

So does rf2 use pazejka and does gsc\rf1?

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just watched the whole thing, good vid,

thanks for posting

14. Emery

Emery Registered

rF2 uses a model for the player and Pacejka for the AI that's calculated off the model. rF1 and all games based on that engine (GSCE, R3E, GTL/GTR/GTR2/Race07/RaceOn, & probably a few others that I can't think of) use Pacejka for both player and AI.

For rF1, the Pacejka curve (really a largish table with interpolation) is used with a pneumatic trail modifier and grip multiplier and tire inflation and tire temperature. Pacejka curve is the overall feel of the tire while you're cornering, whether it's sliding or gripping. Pneumatic trail is what you feel at turn-in, it's the delay caused by the tire distortion taking a set as a result of the forces. The grip multiplier produces the skidpad figure, so to speak. I think everybody has a feel for how inflation and temperature should affect grip. The AI use a simplified form and have an AI grip multiplier on top of the player's grip multiplier.

15. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Excellent video korva7!!!

16. msportdan

msportdan Banned

whats the overall opinion of pacejka vs rf2 new physical model then..?

is it a better model now or is the tried and tested pacejka model better?

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

What's your opinion?

18. msportdan

msportdan Banned

good question.. :)

my honest opinion, is that the new physical model simulates tyre heat and wear much better, it seems to be more dynamic on parts of the tyre that actually are affected.

Handling wise, I struggle to differenciate them. I know RF2 model is chucking more numbers into the mix, and I said above I can notice that, but If I took that away (tyre temp/wear), not sure Ill notice a difference. The ffb feels more reactive to what surface/gradualtions the tyre is currently travelling over, and directly affecs ffb rather than be a effect that just happens.

but that's my novice opinion.From someone who has never played rf1, only GSC and a few years on RF2. also played AC and RRE, who imo do not compare to the GSC/RF2

19. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

You can solve that by avoiding the use of slip angle and slip ratio directly as input in your equations. http://www.performancesimulations.c...comments-relating-to-low-speed-tire-behavior/

20. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered