[WIP] Perth Street Circuit WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Kurt Stenberg, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Kurt Stenberg

Kurt Stenberg Registered

Hi Guys

Here is a WIP of my conversion of my fantasy track, Perth Street Circuit for rFactor. Still needs some work but i need feedback and assistance as i want to do a decent job. I am no professional and this is only my hobby when I'm not racing so keep any criticism constructive and as helpful as possible. Thanks. Enjoy.

Track has real road and road reflections. No Marshall's as i don't know how to add them yet. Current Version is 0.3
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/sm7bpjcj1ujk5ce/PerthStreetCircuit.rfcmp

Known Issues -

Night Lighting does not work. (Easy Fix)
    Some of the grass away from the circuit needs to be fixed.
    AI aren't perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  2. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Thank you, but the link looks broken.

3. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Thx Stenny, was my home town.
    Link werks fer me

SS

4. kro388th

kro388th Registered

The link is working for me ...

??

thank you for this track ,will check it out ...

5. bwana

bwana Registered

Link wasnt working initially for me but is now, Thanks Kurt.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow, what a nice surprise.

I assume you made the layout yourself--it's pretty impressive and certainly reminds one of the typical urban fantasy tracks that are in console games, but this is better because it seems as if it could be real. It has reminders of Surfer's Paradise and other real street circuits.

I'm sure you realize it needs a lot of work to bring it up to current rF2 standards. Not being a modder, my only suggestion is to map out a plan of what to attack and if the order matters. I know from talking with pleclair doing Nords that you can waste a lot of time if things are done out of order.

Everyone will want the graphics improved, but unfortunately that's probably the last step. The road surface and geometry is too crude for rF2 physics, so smoothing out that and putting in appropriate ripples and bumps into the road surface probably has to be one of the first items. Dividing corners into more segments so the blocky effect is lessened is also important to do early. The other stuff I can't say in terms of logical order.

What I will say is that if you want this to be your "baby" it could be an amazing track. However, like Nords but in a different way, this is about as difficult a task as anyone could give themselves. The urban environment is way more difficult to model and make look good than some grass and trees out in the middle of nowhere. Road surface changes and irregularities are a key part of street racing...but they're hard to get right. The road surface graphics have to reflect those surfaces and bumps and ripples...that's also hard to get right. Then there's the many different track-side objects and barriers. And when all that's done, the buildings and bridges and so on that don't actually make the racing better or worse should match the quality of the rest of the track. Not usually a problem except when there is so many of them and they are so varied. AI is also a big issue, but luckily we have a few people here who can help with that element.

I wouldn't want to dissuade you from trying or from progress, but you should be realistic in expectations. This can be something you learn from as a hobby and who cares how far you get or how it turns out. Or, you can set out to try to polish and finish it to a certain level of quality. If you pick the latter, you might need some help along the way, but it will also be a good idea to plot out all that needs to be done and decide if you can already do the work or how long it might take to learn that skill. Lastly, do you have the artistic touch that is needed to combine with the technical skills?

Expectation setting is most important so you are not bombarded with a bunch of people telling you what's wrong with your track from no until the time it might be finished (long into the future). Or, at least it allows you to ignore the comments. I for one will be happy to help with detailed testing and commenting once you let us know what you want to focus on first. And thanks for seeking constructive feedback...if given and received properly it will be immeasurably helpful to you to find bugs and details that need work. Use us as your test machines while you focus on learning and doing the updates!

7. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

thx stenny works for me

like marc said there's probably an order for things to be implemented real road would probably be at the top of the list and simed wont do it right in a few ways

I'll have a look at how it is now and see if theres anything I could suggest.. you still have it in bobs yeah?

8. Kurt Stenberg

Kurt Stenberg Registered

Yeah i know there is a few things that need to be done and i've been using this track as a learning excise because its is not easy. I've done real road to the best of my knowledge with sim ed 3 so far. Any suggestions on anything would be great.

Yes i still have it in bobs Richo. Pretty much as it is with exception of a few things like videoscreens and scoretower e.t.c