People, do windows update!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjmueller, Jan 14, 2012.

1. mjmueller

mjmueller Registered

Hi Guys,

Did this last night and improved my performance significantly.

Cheers,

mj

2. Hybrid

Hybrid Registered

Heard that some more indeed. Didnt help for me.
    Depends maybe on the system? Wich updates did you installed yesterday? :)

3. NightSt@lk3r

NightSt@lk3r Registered

oh god its mike

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

No more updates!!!! :p
    I just did a fresh install of Win7 on Friday.
    The Windows updates just kept coming and coming...... took about 2 hours just for updates.:mad:

Oh well, thanks for posting about it.
    I don't have auto updates, for anything, turned on in the cockpit PC.
    Updates, here I come.....again!

5. UFAModding

UFAModding Registered

I never have updates enabled, they just sludge up your system making it use more CPU and RAM and any other resource it can get it's grubby little bits on.

6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

With a single modern CPU being more powerful than all of NASA's computers combined during the first moon landing, and RAM being cheaper than milk, I don't think that's very wise :)

Are you from 1995? :p

95% of Windows updates are security updates. If you have to worry about updates slowing down your system, you are either living in the past, or it's time for an upgrade ;)

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Its certainly true a modern desktop pc is massively more powerful than what NASA had in the 60s but the type of computing is not really comparable as the NASA computers where specifcaly designed from the ground up for the task in hand.

The comparison is like comparing a CPU to a printed IC that has the program built into the hardware in many ways even if that IC is for a dish washer it will perform faster than a 2GHZ cpu would for that 1 very specifc task.

allso the famous russain using a pencil and americans spending millions on a pen story is not true :p

( knowing how the universe works I am probably totally wrong about everything I said above if so I will stand outside in the rain for 10 minutes with a look of shame on my face)

but yah UFAModding Install the updates ! lol - In the vast majority of cases the updates speed up windows and fix big security issues asuming you are using a legal copy of windows a good propotion of the cost of windows license is in the updates. If you are worried about slow down and your pc not booting up after a bad update ( it has happened) just give it a week or so before you update so you can look out for news articals.

8. UFAModding

UFAModding Registered

Yes it is a legitimate copy of windows, however I have never had anything but bad luck with updates so I refuse to do them anymore. With the right security programs you don't need the updates. Since I stopped doing updates and started using other software, I haven't had a single issue. Another problem with the updates is 2 days after it's released, someone has worked a way around it and Microsoft doesn't spend anywhere near enough on those areas to come close to companies dedicated to online security. So I stick with what works for me :)