PC Upgrade

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by F1Aussie, Aug 11, 2018.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hi All
    I am after a bit of advice. For a while now i have been thinking of upgrading my pc. Currently i have a i7 4770k at 4.2, 16gb of ddr3 1333 or 1600 (cant remember which) ram and a GTX 1080ti.

My thoughts are going for an 19 9900k when it is released, 32gb of ddr4 4000 ram and a mobo to suit, i would keep my gtx 1080ti if i upgrade the cpu side of things.

Other option could be to keep the current cpu and opt for a gtx 1180ti when it releases, or wait until Zen 2 launches to see what it offers. As far as i am aware AMD are still yet to get anywhere near intels ipc for single core and therefore gaming power so i really don't think zen 2 will be a magic bullet on this front.

I use the pc mainly for gaming, a bit of surfing the net and downloading.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

F1A

2. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

I believe zen + is with 5% of the 8700 single core performance. So that's decent. Personally I'd wait for zen 2. I've got access to an 8700k and my ryzen 1800 and performance is similar in most titles. Considering ram pricing inflation due to price fixing from manufacturers. id wait for it to settle down more. Which gives u time for zen2 etc. Even waiting for the 1180 consider that Nvidia has zero competition the price would be crazy on launch. I'd hold off. But I too get the itxh to upgrade to shiney new tech :p

F1Aussie likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your 1080ti is the bees knees, your i7 4770k is right up there with the latest as far as per-thread performance goes, you probably don't have any games that will use more than 4 cores, your 16GB ram is already overkill for nearly everything, and ram speed makes barely a measurable difference in real world applications (low latency helps more, but it's still not doing a heck of a lot).

I'd say give it a good year or so and see what's around then. But the fact you have all that, and have had long enough to now be considering your next upgrade, would suggest you like shiny things and impressive numbers. So probably just get everything that comes out the day it comes out.

As above as well, Zen+ is very very close to Intel performance per thread, but if you aren't editing videos, doing 3D work, or heavy graphical stuff, extra threads won't give you much so maybe stick with the Intel. I had Zen+ come out the week I was basically putting a part list together and I was torn, but on balance I felt like the Intel still has that bit more performance and has more overhead for overclocking etc (heat). So I'd stick with that.

patchedupdemon, F1Aussie and Louis like this.
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I can think of a lot better things to spend the money on if i had a pc like the one you already have

My choices would be

#1 beer
    # 2 ale
    #3 rum
    #4 court fines for what follows all of the above

Jeremy Talbot, Louis and ebeninca like this.
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

It was somewhere mentioned Ryzen IPC is on level of Intel Broadwell generation, which is one newer from 4th gen Intel. But meanwhile Intel has a bit higher frequencies overall than Ryzen, so it's basically even books in single core performance. There isn't really any game out there that uses more than 4 cores + HT, 4 cores without HT you may benefit in some games from more cores, but for i7 I'd say no benefit in upgrading.

Also PCI-E 4.0 should arrive somewhere during next year, which may bring real benefits for rF2.

6. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I think you're trying to burn your money.

I'm assuming that you already have a ssd

Only thing that justifies is If your Mobo isn't PCI express 3.0

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Thanks for the replies guys, I did have my heart set on the 9900k but think I will now sit on my current setup until tech improves a little more.
    My channel funds into the fanatec dd1 instead and one of their fancy new rims.
    Cheers