PC question

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Jackson, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Jackson

Jackson Registered

I need a new PC and I'm on a budget. I found a laptop (which I prefer over desktop) with decent specs. What I want to know is if someone knows if I can run a stable frame rate on rFactor 2 using my Lenovo Explorer VR headset. I really only have basic computer knowledge because I only use computers for simracing and writing papers for school, so anyone else's opinion is appreciated. Here's the link- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...VlUsNCh2EBwGkEAQYAyABEgJ5q_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't have VR, but I'd say the main concerns there are the main components - CPU power and GPU power. People with faster CPUs and GPUs on proper PCs are having to compromise on settings to get good VR performance, and on headsets with lower resolution. Laptops tend to run slower, or can only temporarily run at higher speed, because they're built for power saving (and even if you keep them at full speed, cooling will limit them more than a PC). Hopefully someone with similar spec hardware can give you an idea if it's feasible.

mesfigas likes this.
  3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I don`t think NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti is performing well with VR headset in rFactor 2.

mesfigas likes this.
  4. rocky289

rocky289 Registered

Would be like towing a caravan with a mini.

mesfigas likes this.
  5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

One thing I don’t like about the gaming laptops my friends have,the ventilation is never as good as a desktop,cooling is always an issue for them,so they have to turn down settings for the hardware to run cooler.
    Maybe the ones they have are just crap,but I’ve killed 2 laptops through gaming and it overheating,although they weren’t gaming laptops per say

mesfigas likes this.
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

650 $ laptop is a pure garbage for sim racing
    or the best for watching youtube videos from sim racing games :)

7. PastorCzo

PastorCzo Registered

I have had a gaming laptop that I recently traded back for my gaming PC. Gaming laptops while the idea is great the execution is hardly worth it. It gets hot, and by hot I mean 2nd degree burn hot. My suggestion is take the 650 and get a decent pc, especially for VR.
    My laptop was a powerspec 1510.

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  8. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I agree with the above, rFactor 2 requires quite some graphics and processor power and this will be difficult to find for $650 but just about possible for a desktop PC.
    You would need at least an Intel i5 processor (be careful of the models with a U at the end, i.e. i5-8250U as these are underclocked for better battery life). Minimum 8GB and at least a GTX1050 but this will be for low settings (maybe with fiddling, medium)
    The specs of the one you mention fulfill the low settings though, I expect.
    However if any rFactor 2 middle range laptop users can give some input here with their specs, this will help.
    If you do decide for a laptop then make sure you have something between the back bottom and table top to enable some air movement below the notebook. Forget about these so-called laptop coolers as they enclose the bottom and restrict cooling, a piece of wood will suffice or a Triangular Plastic Scale Engineering Measuring Pocket Ruler https://www.ebay.com/itm/30cm-12-Me...ineering-Measuring-Pocket-Ruler-/401423509798

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    DaREALMastaD and mesfigas like this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson Registered