Parc Ferme Tires

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by PLorenti, Dec 6, 2020.

1. PLorenti

PLorenti Registered

Hi everyone!
    I tried setting up a dedicated server where the top 10 qualifying starts the race with the tires used in qualifying and I couldn't get it to work. I tried from rFM, player.json but the most I achieved was parc ferme for the tires but always with new tires at the start of the race. Is that feature working?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think so, no. It worked in rF1, as far as I know it's never worked for rF2 (definitely didn't the first few years).

(Just to explain: in rF1 when you were driving the tyres had a temperature, a pressure, and a wear amount. These were all used to calculate grip at any moment (along with camber, load, and whatever else... but they aren't properties of the tyre). The game could transfer the tyres across to the race session because the only residual property there is wear - 1 figure per tyre. In rF2 the tyre has thousands of nodes (let's say in the region of 12000) with individual wear amounts (which is why flatspots happen), so transferring the tyres would require sending those thousands of nodes between the server and client, for each tyre. For I think the same reason tyre wear wasn't kept when resuming a replay, but several years ago that was at least partly fixed (I don't know if the tyres are restored in full detail). No movement on the parc ferme yet, hopefully that gets implemented one day - even if it's lower than full fidelity)

*Just to correct myself for anyone reading - rF2 tyres also have degradation (due to overheating) I believe at each node, so double the data above.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  3. PLorenti

PLorenti Registered

Lazza thanks for the answer!
    Yes in rF1 i organize a championship with that feature and was great.

Finger cross for the implementation of parc ferme on the tires.

Thanks again
    Sorry for my english.

4. atomed

atomed Member

12.000 nodes per tire or the four of them?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Per tyre. It's only a rough figure - early in rF2 there were around 120-140 sections per tyre (if you slice through one side of a doughnut, that's one section), and around 55 nodes per section. More recent tyres are more like 200-220 and 70-80 nodes.

It certainly wouldn't be impossible to get at least a decent representation of a tyre's state without needing all that data, but I think it's understandable that early in rF2 development someone looked at the original code (basically storing and transferring 4 values) and with the new model in mind thought "... might get to that one later..."

atomed likes this.