[WIP] Palatov Motorsport D4

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Great all clear now and thanks for including both. I always prefer realism, but there are certain MP races or situations where you want tire wear to be part of the strategy, so now that's included, too! Can't ask for more.

2. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thanks Marc. Unfortunately there is a dark side of the choice: no way to lock the use of the "Long Lasting" for MP races, if you need to avoid any kind of cheat. I think only checking files after the race and/or using some kind of tool to avoid it.

3. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The original you had mention, of either Long or MP on the car's tuning page is perfect (especially MP being the base). It is looking very sharp, congrats.

I do notice the obvious jaggies on the front right carbon texture, but also something with the polys by the front right bit of bodywork, just below the step effect on the carbon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Awesome skins. I like how you are keeping the colors simple and clean yet it's absolutly intriguing and flatters the shape of the car. Not sure about the bright yellow rear wing though...

Speaking of shape, I also think the headlights suit it very well. Will they be the default (AI also has them) to enable nighttime racing?

Most looking forward to the sound too. A proper high-RPM engine will be fun and "sound fast".

Will be interesting to see how this compares with the Skippy as a driver training aid. If it got a bit more power and a bit less inclination to randomly spin I'll love it to bits.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

7. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

looking good!

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Why you don`t change the tyre wear of the Long Lasting Tyres a bit? About the Headlights; I think this will make a lot of confusion, if the Headlights are an Option. You wen`t in to a MP Race, Night Time and forget to pick the Headlight Option...bad experience i guess ;)

9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

The Long Lasting tire set is for testing purposes, strictly related to the real car for owners of those cars and potential owners.
    About lights, what can I say? If you forget to install lights for a night race...

But we have to think to the AI behavior and maybe we have to follow another way, like a "LE" or "SE" version. There are positive points like no longer thinking to lights as well as to tires, but also negative points like more "confusion" into the list of cars because of the different structure and UI of rF2 vs rF1.

Let me know what is your opinion about that. thanks

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Makes no sense to not have lights on the long-lasting tires that some may choose to use for realistic endurance racing. Arbitrary.

Slow is correct that the UI selection process is intuitive in rF2. It's never obvious where to change certain settings, most of which cannot be altered after you have loaded up car and track. Then there is the cheating issue.

If you want to make cheating difficult and you want to prevent silly oversight/memory failures like forgetting to select lights for a night race, then in rF2 there is only one choice (with today's UI): four versions of the car.

Real tires + no lights
    Real tires + lights
    Sim tires + no lights
    Sim tires + lights

Annoying, but perhaps the less annoying than any other use of garage and/or tuning options.

I would be fine with four sets of identical skins (aside from lights) so you just pick the "series" you want. This is also logical because there should never be a (sane) situation where you would intermix any of these four configurations.

11. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I want to think a little bit more on this issue, but without offending anyone I would like to say that I am/was/shall be annoyed by the fact we have to think how to avoid cheating. Said that, I'd like also to add that forgetting to "buy" the lights before starting a race is really difficult because of there are other sessions before the start and in any case it is something to take in mind.

In this way we reduce to:
    - full version with all options available
    - SE version with all options available with the exclusion of the 2 sets of tires (only "Sim Lasting Compound Set)

This could be the way to make all us happy! LOL Anyway we have a lot of time in front of us...

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I really don't understand how such simple things can be complicated so much. Stick to what you had thought about before, the only thing I recommend is perhaps having the car optimized for the sim as the default tuning setup.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Simple is better, but we already have 20 mods with 20 different ways of doing this. There is no accepted standard or guideline way ISI has organized for themselves or modders...so we have discussion each time.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe there is a missunderstanding at all...Just put the Headlights on to the car as standard and everything is fine.

15. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

i don't have any objection to that, sounds like a reasonable approach.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I actually think it looks better with the headlights...

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I don't understand the problem of having lights on all cars...either driver turns them on, or not. Are there race rules that I don't know of? I just can't see the need of lights on some, no lights on others.

18. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Easy to answer: I pay attention to follow strictly the features of the real car, but at the same time we need to have a mod for online races.

Anyway the manufacturer agreed in adding lights by default (I hope he will donate some crates of beer for the addition that he will use on real cars! LOL!!) and we made it.

View attachment 15567

View attachment 15568

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

When, oh when, we will get to try these things? Looking fantastic and I just know they are going to be so agile and fun to throw around a track. Like a cross between a kart and a Skippy :)

20. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

LoL Marc!
    It's time to talk a little bit about the mod.

About new features and how the project is changing and moving on, thanks to the first public version of the ISI Suspension Generator Spreadsheet and to "redapg" (that wrote some more entries!) the mod will be equipped with 2 different steering wheel options:
    - rF2 system where Steering Lock Setting in Garage Menu always changes the Steering Wheel Rotation Range
    - rF1 system where Steering Lock in Garage Menu can be set without affecting the Steering Wheel Rotation Range
    Do not under evaluate this option because it affects hard the driving style, the feeling with the car and, depending of the own driving style, you will prefer the old or the new option. It affects also the FFB strength, in fact with the rF2 system, increasing or decreasing the values into the garage means to have a different strength on the steering wheel: more degrees for the rotation of the steering wheel means lighter strength, less degrees means harder strength.

We are also adding a Server Edition where only 2 classes will be allowed, the Trackday and the Hillclimb with "Sim Lasting Compound Set" only.

BUT, we are at a dead point because of the lack of the right tires for the 3 compounds this car allows. The current ones are only a rough tuning of an existing one too much different from the tires we need. And we are also waiting for the new version of the ISI Suspension Generator Spreadsheet that will give the opportunity to try a "full" new system for chassis, suspension and hdv files to see if it can match the needs of a so "little" car.

Only after the above 2 big issues will be fixed, we'll be ready for tuning the mod depending of the feedback of the Palatov testing driver of the real car, comparing times, performances and behavior on same tracks where Palatov is going to test the updated cars (Laguna Seca, SearsPoint, Oregon Raceway Park). For this reason we are also developing a private version of ORP.

A long road lies ahead before the release of the first public beta. Uhmm my sentence sounds like an epitaph, but we are trying to release a very well done model! Thank you for your patience.