[WIP] Palatov Motorsport D4

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Nice

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Looks like simulated (by Palatov) carbon fibre to me! In other words, as it should look.

5. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

This issue is common to several mods and I think it depends of the way to generate the UVMap of the 3d, as well as the template. And, in addition, depending of the point of view the effect looks different...

View attachment 15518

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

But it's supposed to be a carbon fibre applique, right (assuming the real Palatov body is not real carbon fibre)?

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Given the weight and price I'd be very surprised if the real D4 isn't fully carbon.

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I investigated a little bit about the "effect" and it depends mainly by the antialiasing behavior when a texture has a very little pattern (less than the pixel at a certain resolution) and the point of view. Setting different levels and filters for the antialiasing, as well as using a different pattern can partially fix it. We'll see what we can do to decrease the effect.

View attachment 15520

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

10. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

11. Miro

Miro Registered

This looks very nice already! Realy eager to drive this car. :)

12. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

looking great! to answer the carbon question - the D4 body is available in carbon as an option. the standard is high-temp prepreg S-glass. in both cases it's aerospace grade material and the entire body shell weighs about 30 lbs (15 kilos). i don't have any RL pictures of a D4 in carbon but here are a few of a D1:

View attachment 15534
    View attachment 15535
    View attachment 15536

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

14. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

quick update

We toke the decision to have two full sets of tires available into the upgrade. Both will have 3 compounds, Hoosier R D.O.T., Hoosier Racing Slick and Hoosier Wet. One set will be named "Long Lasting Compound Set" that will match the performances of the real tires for wear and degradation curves; the second one named "Sim Lasting Compound Set" for MP purposes with a shorter life.

We are also adding the lights to the car, always for sim purposes, but also to show an option for buyers: WIP

View attachment 15538

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Very good, but maybe it would make more sense, to make the different tyres available through the car setup. Depending on the actual session, you would use the Sim (e.g. for Qualify) or the Long lasting (e.g. for longer races).

16. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1

17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Maybe I wasn't intelligible. The sim tires will be tuned for gaming purposes. The real will be used ONLY for testing related to the real car. "Long Lasting" for real car means more than 1,000 miles, so there isn't any need to use them in MP even if you race a 24 hours! On the contrary "sim lasting" will be tires tuned for gaming purposes: R DOT for long races, RacingSlick for qualify and race no longer than 40 minutes and paying attention to sliding and spinning: hard skidding at starting with cold tire means to end the race!

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It is a bit confusing, Slow...

Maybe you could just fill-in how long each tire is supposed to last and say which ones will be in your mod:

"Real" tire compound (as would be found on the real car if you bought one) --
    "Sim Lasting" compound --
    "Long Lasting" compound --

Thanks,

Marc

19. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

Marc,

thanks to the light weight and other aspects of the D4 design it's very easy on tires. we typically get 8-12 track events (at roughly 2 hours each) out of a set of slicks. we tested WET tires in the dry at Pikes Peak and found very little wear in a 10-minute run up the Mountain. we ended up not using them because tread distortion reduced overall grip. however in sim racing, from what i understand, tire life management during the event is one of the challenges that makes a race interesting. that would be removed with real tires which for the intents of sim racing last 'forever'. hence the decision to include 'sim' tires that work in the sim race environment and 'real' ones that make the model useful for our own testing.

hope that makes sense.

20. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I only add to the Dennis's explanation that, as shown into the picture of post #95, the sets will be 2, where "real" tire compound set means "Long Lasting" compound set. I'm sorry for the little misunderstanding.