Painters need to have a convention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Feb 21, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

For the time being, one of the largest roadblocks to getting new skins fully into the game is the file name size needed to load the skins. From what I've seen you are limited to 12 characters.
    I would suggest, ESPECIALLY for skins intended for world wide series like GT3, you guys all need to come up with a format that limits the number characters but identifies each series.
    18IM12 (then alt then dds or mas or whatever else is needed) could be the beginning of a file name for a car from IMSA, 2018 seadon, number 12.
    17BP37, 2017, BlancPain, #37
    AD=ADAC, AU for Ausie, AS Asian Le Mans, WEC etc. I'm sure there is a long list of series that would have to be identified. It would benefit all of us end-users if the painters all came together for some common format we all could learn and understand.
    I know everyone has a method they prefer, everyone has a driver they want to attach, but having some web based clearing house would mean painters could sign up for a skin and reserve a driver so it isn't used repeated by other painters which seems to be one of the causes of skin failure. (at least for now anyhow)
    just a thought
    I don't think S397 could start this, due to what surely would be copyright or licensing infringements.

2. Godwind Racing

Godwind Racing Registered

You read my mind. I did this back in the Automobilista days last year but with race numbers, this was when I made edits to bring all the skin packs together and half of them won't show up, so I had to introduce the number system. The result was that 80% of skins show up.

If BP was Blancpain, then what about Blancpain/SRO's Endurance, Europe, Sports Club, America and Asian series. What about the defunct series and those that got rebranded. If AS was Asian Le Mans, what about Blancpain Asia and GT Asia (whom the former replaced)

3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

The 12 characters includes alt, meaning you really only have 9 to play with.

Driver names, I've found rF2 want except a drivers name that starts with P. Regardless if it's the first or last name.
    I had to make up a fake name for one livery I did because all 3 drivers had a P starting either first or second name. That's how screwed up this stupid skins system really is! Rubbish 7 years ago and still rubbish now!!!

I've never renamed the files in the Mas. All off them are alt.DDS altwindow.DDS and now alt_json, alt_region. Mas is named alt.Mas Every single one. Never had a issue with any off them and shared them like that with around 1000 downloads over all off them with no complaints about them not working due to naming. Faults that have come through (about 3 in total) have been user end issues.

As for setting up series for alt style skins could be as simple as adding a entry to the rcd.
    Example of a stanard rcd entry.
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2016 ]] [[ ]]
    GTE
    {
    Trackeside
    {
    Team = Test Pilot
    Component = BMW_M8_GTE_2018
    Skin = alt.dds
    VehFile = BMW174DAF0F1.VEH
    Description = BMW GTE
    Number = 00
    }

We could add a entry to the series prfix. In this case GTE, add something like
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2016 ]] [[ ]]
    GTE_IMSA2018 which would show up in the opponents list giving the option to add only cars that carry this prefix.
    So only cars that are set for this series and year will load.

Off cause the end user still has the same option to add liveries from other series or years as they choose.

The obvious issue is making sure all painters follow a strike determent naming preset..

Luck with that.

McFlex likes this.
  4. SRGP

SRGP Registered

When using the .RCD files, the "alt" is not required and the .MAS file name can be longer than 12 caracters, no ?
    It is only for SkinTranfer / Alternative skins (which is the recommanded method, imo) there are these restrictions, or i got it wrong again :oops:

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I've never been able to get a skin to work that hasn't got alt in it's name. If others have, luck to them.
    Has been limited to 12 characters sins the first release off rF2 7 years ago.

McFlex and Highlandwalker like this.
  6. Godwind Racing

Godwind Racing Registered

When I tried to add the Camaros into it's virtual folder, I converted the EEC/Ultimate GT3 skins for it to work, I then changed the class prefix to "GT3". Why do I get a "Camaro_2013" prefix during a session, not a GT3?

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

yes, there are many many possibilities for series classes etc. That is why you guys need to get together and hash out a STANDARD FORMAT. (easy for me to say ain't it?) Just seeing how MANY skins have already been painted, we are going to have nothing but conflicts if some sort of order isn't imposed.

8. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Agreed, I never have either. Position of alt in the name sometimes makes a difference, I have found alt needs to before window in the new updates. Eg. Name_altwindow.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Because the car is still using the original cars veh file.
    It will answer to the GT3 if you select that prefix in the opponents list. This is the only thing that will change from the rcd file, we have no control over the veh when using virtual rides.

Godwind Racing likes this.