PAINT PROBLEM (skin painting)

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Ted Striker, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Registered

Hi all,
    I am just using Photoshop to paint a skin. I' ve done everything according to the instructions of Tim (Paint Guide). So far so good. Now I have two problems:

1. The windows are no longer transparent after saving. (Save with "Save As" >>> then DDs selected and then Photoshop tells me that I must first summarize the levels. however nowhere mentioned in the guide??? (I also activated the alpha channel in the layer control, and selected then DXT5 (8 Interpolated Alpha) .

2. I compared my skin with those of other racers online and my skin reflects too much!! Does anybody know why?

So, I hope someone can help me, I'm a beginner in painting, hope it is only a trifle, perhaps a little settings I forgot to set??

Cheers

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

1) DXT5 is correct.
    2) Examine your alpha channel if it is all white, that is why (missing alpha will do the same thing).

3. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Registered

Hi there,

thx for your answer. I`ve tried it. But I really don`t know if I did it right. Can you please explain to me where I can check the alpha channel in Photoshop CS2?

Thank you soo much!

4. tjc

tjc Registered

In the layers palette there are three tabs...

Layers - Channels - Paths.

Click the Channels tab, uncheck all the other channels (Red, Green, Blue and RGB) and check the Alpha channel (if it`s not already checked) then you know your working on the Alpha channel only. :)

5. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Registered

Hi, okay I ve tried it. unchecked all RGB Boxes and checked the alpha channel. after this the car turns into red color. Is that right? also I ve tried to save as DDS with checked Alpha box on and off. nothing works. :-((

When I finished the skin can I send it to someone to you that you check it in Photoshop or try to save as DDS? Thats the only chance right now I see for solving this issue.That would be great!

6. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Registered

when i save the dds, which channel have to be activated? RGB and alpha or only RGB???

7. lordpantsington

The fact that you have an alpha to select means that it will be looked to and exported, no box checking required.
    When you have the alpha showing, the reddish hue is only what photoshop uses to show you where transparency is. Alpha is greyscale, 8-bit IIRC. White=opaque, Black=transparent. In this case white=shiny, black= matte. My guess is that your alpha channel contains only a solid color (white). If you only have the alpha showing, take a screenshot and upload it and post back here. We will be able to help further thereafter. I have seen where an alpha is screwed up, and I needed to delete the channel, make a new channel (alpha) and paste back in what should be there to fix it.

8. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Registered

Hey there. i hope i understood u right, i made an screenshot with rgb unchecked:
    View attachment 6377

here is the link to the skin in pds.
    RenaultClioCup_ahornracing_TEDSTRIKER.psd

What I don`t understand that I have this error only at the clio. I ve changed nothing in alpha channel or something else!?

9. lordpantsington

When I tried to export I got an error
    With RGB Channels selected,
    Create a new layer at the very bottom of your layer stack,
    Create a new Background layer from that new layer,

This will fix the export error,
    FWIW my export looks just fine in game, I'm guessing yours will too.

Other thoughts:
    There is a box to check (checked by default) for Save options, to Save Alpha, when you save out as DDS. Perhaps you've unchecked this?

10. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Registered

AW: PAINT PROBLEM (skin painting)

U are great! That worked. And now everything is fine. Thank u sooooo much!!!

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

11. lordpantsington