Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. dandar

dandar Registered

Mmm ... not quite right :)
    1) Copy an existing .veh file (because contains several propertys and values)
    2) Change DefaultLivery="XXX.dds" to match the name of your DDS file
    3) Name the new .VEH file with the same name of the DDS file (without his extention of course)

Example:
    -----------
    C6_Livery_Folder
    |_ Altpjd1.dds
    |_ Altpjd1.veh

Edit 1:
    -------
    The .veh file also has extra info that could be changed, like the Driver's name, Engine, Manufacturer, Description, etc etc... but just make sure not to edit Category or Classes.

2. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Oups... ok sorry :eek:... Thank you for the clarification

There a no problem to play online with it after put a new .veh file, the other player could see it too.

3. dandar

dandar Registered

Good, just to know who have hosted the sesion ? it was you / the other player or both of you connected to a server ?

4. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Both connected to a server.

5. dandar

dandar Registered

Cool ... and thank you for the info :D

6. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Re oups, it's was not an information, I've just forget the '?' to finish my sentence. That was an interrogation :p

There a no problem to play online with it after put a new .veh file, the other player could see it too ?

Sorry for the confusion :eek:

7. dandar

dandar Registered

Alright, let's go back then ...

If I recall correctly:
    - You will not be able to select the new livery for a multiplayer race if the server or a player hosting a session does not have the livery properly installed. You must choose and use one wich is installed on the server. You could trick the server and edit an existing livery but in this case every player sees his own (local installed) version of the livery, in rf1 liverys where not validated if they were exactly the same across multiplayer sessions. I've not tested this in rf2 yet.

8. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Ok thank I will test when one of my teammates will be able to test with me, and give you a PM (but not soon, all are much occupied :p )

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

According to the design of the system, if you are on a server where others are using custom skins, you will have an option to automatically download them. If there is another person that is using the same car as a base, for example, the #5 corvette and has named the skin file the same, it is likely that things might get messed up, so be careful.

As to creating the .veh file, you have not had to do that in the past, so not sure why you would need to do that now for rF2. I have created custom skins for my vehicles without creating a .veh file and they have shown in game no problem. The naming convention is that you can not exceed 10 or 11 characters before the period and there must be the word Alt in the skin name, other than that, anything goes. If you create a name that doesn't show, try something else with the name to see what you can come up with. Make sure you are placing the skin in the correct folder, which can be created through the UI when you are viewing the car. There is a button to create the folder.

10. dandar

dandar Registered

Gearjammer is right, you could follow his steps to add an extra livery for an existing car/driver, the .veh file is only needed in case you want to add a (new) non existing car number with a new livery. I've undestood that GaetanL was looking for the second choice.

11. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Ok now it's good, I've just forgot to include 'alt' in the name of dds file :eek:
    Work fine now, thank for helps ;)

12. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

10+3 Character file name length does not apply to received custom skins. If you see something like _-22350_JoeBloAlt.DDS in your custom skins folder or the Tuning screen, don't sweat it; it's one that's been shared with you. I gather that those characters leading the original file name are generated in the process, so that may answer your question about possible identical skin name conflicts. If someone joins a server with an identical skin name to yours, it would get prefixed with a unique sequence of characters, so yes, essentially renamed.

I don't think that a dedicated server needs to have the skins installed. Players with custom skins that are joining the server need to have this line enabled in their multiplayer.ini files: Download Custom Skins="1" // whether to automatically download skins from when clients join server with custom skins (grammar is a bit confusing). It appears that the game is facilitating the exchange of skin files between clients when they join a server. Players that do not have this enabled will not see custom liveries of other players, only default skins or blank-canvas cars.

Note: The skin upload-download sharing process happens when players are in the garage. If you are on track when others with custom skins join, you'll not see their liveries until you drive or Esc back to the garage and allow enough time for the file exchange (red box to the left of the player name turns green).

13. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Thank a lot for explanations ;)

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Just a note, it appears that the new skins need the "ALT" to be all caps in order for them to work. Further testing needs to be done, but that is the case with the current build and the current 'Vette.

15. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I have experienced some problems with file names not working despite following the usual naming conventions. I'm not sure I should blame rF2 though. I think I re-created the .dds file from the .psd and it worked again. Not sure what when wrong. Anyway, of the 6 'Vette skins I have, there are names with ALT, alt and Alt and all work just fine.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Deadpedal, have you made sure they are with the latest version of the vette? I ask because I had the original vette installed and it worked fine with any version of the world alt in it, but with the latest version of the vette, I had to capitalize the word ALT.

17. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

C:\...\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles\ISI_Corvette_C6RGT2_2009\1.42
    and 6 skins in C:\...\My Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Corvette_C6RGT2_2009\C6R_03\
    Definitely v1.42 of 27-June.
    Of the 6, 4 use "alt" in lowercase, one uses "Alt" and one uses "ALT"
    I don't know what to tell you otherwise. Character case in a file name should make no difference. Queer stuff, eh?

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Without a doubt queer stuff. Makes you wonder how sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

19. Rob Berry

Rob Berry Registered

So I have Gimp and the plugin installed, producing psd files with Paint Shop Pro 6. What steps do I take to convert the psd file to dds? Any help is appreciated.

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/custom-car-skins/ for the settings you have to use

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10281-Help!-Gimp-2-8-on-win7-fails-to-compress-my-DDS-exports for problem with Gimp and solution

and one final maybe not valid anymore info fromnogrip forum:

"Sorry for bumping this thread, but I might have some usefull information;

The DDS-exporter in GIMP isn't working properly, especially for DXT5 (window) files. If you want to export them, you should save your GIMP-skin as .psd, download a .psd-plugin for Paint.NET and then you can use Paint.NET for exporting the .dds files. Works fine DDS Convertor2 doesn't work on Windows 7. "