Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. gplayonline

gplayonline Registered

Hi all,
    I'm having problems with **window.dds, it works but the glasses are not trasparent any more, and the lights they are gray coloured too.
    Have anyone custom windows working fine?
    Thanx in advance! :)

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Check the alpha channel and save the windshield.dds in DXT5 format.

[​IMG]

3. gplayonline

gplayonline Registered

Thak you Tosch, I'll try.

4. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

5. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

6. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Basically as soon as you change the.mas file of a vehicle, you will break the digital signature and you cannot play online.

You can however, get your car in game and race other cars in All cars and tracks mode if you want, with AI using any custom skins you may have and NOT mess any online stuff up.

An example Using the EVE F2, but the principle is the same for All cars:

DISCLAIMER : This method has worked perfectly for me for the BT20, EVE, Clio, Megane, NGTR and 370z, but i haven't tried doing this for a while so i do not know whether any updates have changed this method from working correctly.

MAKE SURE that you call your skin is named something other than a current ISI Skin. You will also need your icon and sml icon for the vehicle select screens. You also need a .veh file, which can be edited if needed in notepad.

ie/ Our example files are going to be called : Skin = MS7_33.dds, VEH File = MS7_33.veh, MS7_33ICON.dds and MS7_33SMICON.dds

You can then COPY, that's COPY the "EVE.mas, EVE_F2TEAMS.mas and EVE_main.mas" files to a folder on your desktop.

Rename the files you just copied to your desktop: ie/

NEWMODEVE.mas, NEWMODEVE_F2TEAMS.mas and NEWMODEVE_MAIN.mas

Open the NEWMODEVE_F2TEAMS.mas file, click on any .veh file and export it to the folder containing your mods. Use notepad to edit things in the .veh file like Driver Name, Racing Team, Nationality etc. Give the .VEH file, the same name as one of your skins ( as i show above ).

Then, click "select all" and delete everything in the .mas file.

Select the MS7_33.dds, MS7,_33.veh, MS7_33ICON and MS7_33SMICON.dds files and drag them into the empty .mas file.

Repeat with as many custom skins as you have....then

Click the yellow create the mas file button. Quit the gMotor2 MAS file utility program.

Reopen the gMotor2 MAS file utility program, click on the "C" icon ( Create the component file ). A window pops up, hit the txt logo next to <add new component>, type a name for your car, doesn't matter what Now got to TYPE : and choose "Vehicle"

Then click the locker logo on the Submit Mas files box.
    Choose the 3 renamed .mas files in the folder on your destop. Click Package button. it will say something like " file doesn't exist, do you want to create it? " Click yes ( i had to do this twice ), Your file will be created.

Take the file you have created, place it in your packages folder, start rfactor2, click "manage mods", Go to "Options" untick show mods only. You will see your file in the list, right click it Choose install. go into game, got to all cars and tracks, your car should be there !

Finished Article :30 Cars - Custom Skins - No online or ISI content touched :

I'm sure there must be a simpler way to do it, but this worked for me without breaking any online functionality.

Good Luck !!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
  7. tjc

tjc Registered

Nice little run down there 4L...

You know your onions mate. :cool:

8. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Guys, I'm a beginner at skinning and using Photoshop, but I have a question.

I painted a chevy and the formula renault 3.5 and the way I did it was good for those skins. Now when I try to paint the Marussia it seems that it's different compared to the other templates, and I can't skin this way. Let me explain what I mean.

With the C6R and FR35 i selected/clicked backgroundcolor on the right (not select pixels), then I went to the template, made a selection and did layer via copy. Than I selected the new layer and filled it with a color. That way the correct colours always showed of every layer. I could always change the background color with no problems.

With the Marussia this does not work. First of al when I do what I discriped above it seems that the background color shows through the new layers colors. So if I fill a new layer it does not show up as the colour I want, but gets mixed with the background colour.
    Second of all if I change the background color again the layers dissapear. The only solution for me is to make the background white from the beginning, but that way I'm not able to see the framework.

What can I do to get it to work like all the other skins work that ISI released? Otherwise which techniques can I use to get around this issue (for me). probably I learned myself the wrong way of doing, please let me know.

Edit: I think I solved it for myself, I think it had to do with blending options of the background. changed it to normal and it works like the other skins now

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

For the wireframe, if you need to see it on different colors, you could always copy the wireframe layer, go to selection and choose by color and choose the wire. Invert the selection and delete, then do a color overlay on the wire to any color you wish to make it visible for what you are doing.

10. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Nice tip thank you very much!

11. scheeve3

scheeve3 Registered

I have a small problem with my skin (Clio). The black in my skin is more like grey, it lost its intensity. I tried a lot of things with the alpha layers, but that doesn't seem to work. But as you can see, the black of the front air sucker (or something like that) is actually black. But that's something that came stock with the template. So maybe it's the position of my layers thats wrong?
    View attachment 7134

12. Dennis May

Dennis May Registered

turn on HDR and look at your skin "on track". With build 198 all Colors are faded at the spinner and without HDR on track

13. Twista

Twista Registered

How easy is it to change the tire sidewall textures?

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There isn't a template for it, so I am guessing that they didn't intend users to mess with it, but if you find the location of the texture file it should be fairly easy to change and put back overwriting the original. The problem is likely to be that it will mess up your ability to race online or it will give the texture to every single car instead of just yours.

15. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

There is significant advise in the Build 198 change log regarding sharing of custom skins and a further discussion here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10257-So-what-does-this-download-custom-skins-do?p=160256&viewfull=1#post160256

This addresses the problem of supplementary skin files such as WINDOW.DDS and EXTRA0.DDS files not being transferred along with main skin files by creating a single.MAS archive file with MAS2.

After creating your .DDS files for a car...
    Create the path/folder for your custom alt skin (easily done in the Vehicle Tuning in game)
    Start MAS2.exe (normally in C:\Users\yourname\Documents\rFactor2\Support\Tools\ folder).
    Click Edit then Add Files ....
    Navigate to your .DDS files.
    Select all files that pertain to a particular car and click OK.
    Check that the desired files are listed in MAS2.
    Click File then Save as ....
    Name the file the same as your main skin .DDS file except the file extension will be .MAS
    Move this new .MAS file in the appropriate loose skin folder.
    You may delete the .DDS files that were used to create the .MAS (they should not coexist with the .MAS in the destination folder).

16. ifrans

ifrans Registered

thanks deadpedal, was already looking for that

17. ViSo

ViSo Registered

I am having troubles with an Formula Renault 3.5 skins, I canĀ“t find the textures for these 2 parts:
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/363/rfactor2201304081654064.png

1 - That little red part in Cockpit, one side is red and another one is white, so 2 ''zones'' needed in .DDS, 1 texture for every side.
    2 - That little red part, in rear wing, inside the ''3-way slots'', again one side is red and another one is white, so 2 textures again.

Where are them in the .DDS?

PD: I Already know about the wireframe is showed.

Found them!
    ISI Fails ... omg ...
    There is an image with the DDS used:
    http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9789/altteam.jpg

And there is how it is showed:
    http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3953/rfactor2201304091228323.png
    1 - The little part in Cockpit is totally RED.
    2 - The little part in rear wing, is practically all YELLOEW with a bit of RED.

I cant do nothing to fix this one ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Looks like ISI's UV mappers need to be a little more careful there.

19. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Hi mate, is there anyway around this?

If this is correct then it means it's impossible to skin the Open source Pescarolo Judd LM mod cars easily as their naming convention is :

LMP2_35ALT

That's the 10 character limit gone without the ability to add a "2" or "3" suffix to the skin name...........Which is a bit annoying as i have just made a skin for it ! lol

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The only requirement for the skin is the "alt" at the end. I have named a skin myskinalt.dds and it has worked fine.