Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Twista sets me straight in this in this recent post that concerned someone with a similar problem: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10454-skins?p=142934&viewfull=1#post142934

Consequently I see that the WINDOW and EXTRA0 files do NOT have the same naming length limits and it is actually be better to exceed the 10+3 name length for them.

EDIT 04/13: With build 198, these 3 files can be packed in a .MAS file named identically to the base skin's name and placed in the appropriate loose skins folder. In an MAS archive (and it seems to be unique to the Clio at this point) there is no need to exceed the 10+3 name length for the WINDOW and EXTRA0 DDS files. Of course this would have only been a concern to begin with if one created a base skin name of only 4 characters as in "alt" with a single defining character, e.g., Alt1.dds. It was only in such a case where the WINDOW and EXTRA0 files would end up being less than 11 characters (4+6=10) and consequently expressing themselves as unwanted skins in the Tuning skin selections. Packed in an MAS, it doesn't matter.

If I name my Deadpedal #99 skin DP99alt.dds, I can name the other files thusly: DP99altWINDOW.dds and DP99altEXTRA0.dds
    So long as I don't exceed the 10 character limit of the skin name, this works and the extra length (>10) keeps the WINDOW and EXTRA0 files from showing as unintentional skins in Tuning.

My mistake was to assume that the underscore leading the WINDOW and EXTRA0 files mattered as part of the defining string. They don't; they are just redundant, visual separators. They are, however, as valid as any other character if used in a file name so using them will limit your ability to be descriptive with a 10 character skin name. After I discovered that, I failed to revisit my original naming tests.

I apologize for complicating this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013
  2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Something that could be good to add in is links to some of the basic program tutorials; things like how to use the pen tool, working with layers, layer styles, etc.

Those techniques never change, and as such an individual game's tutorial usually doesn't cover them, so newbies are left in the dark when it comes to actually making the graphics because they don't have a background in graphics. No need to write your own on those, though, just some links to some basics should be enough :)

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Looks like there might be a few changes to how this paint sharing works (but not the functionality).

As always, keep in-mind that rF2 is an evolving product, always capable of change. :)

4. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Hi guys,

a friend told me that there is thread somewhere about how to create chrome effect on the paint for the in game?

Does anyone cand show me where ....I canĀ“t find it :(

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you want a portion of your skin to appear chrome, I suspect all you would have to do is edit the alpha channel and make those areas pure white RGB values of 255, 255, 255. In the event that I am backwards, which is highly likely at times, set the values to 0,0,0. :) Do this only for the portions of the skin you want to appear as chrome by using a selection tool to mark out the area. It is possible that it still won't turn out right depending on the base color and how the reflections work though. Chrome doesn't have a color, but in order for a number of programs to make it look real, the base layer usually has to be a mid to dark grey.

6. Radar

Radar Registered

Might be a good idea to sticky this Tim.. :)

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/livery-tutorial.37313/

These are based on V8Factor BUT! their all the same when it comes down to it no matter the car, no matter the rFactor version.

Personally never read a tutorial on anything. In the end it's just some one who "thinks" he knows what he's doing and some can be very misleading. I started with the painting program that's in NASCAR 2003. Went to Paintshop Pro 8 and now used Pro Xl. Photoshop is just a over sized DDS converter for the most part but does come in handy at times were it can do somethings Paintshop can't, and I know how to use it! Haha...

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well D.Painter, you knew this was coming :), you said it all when you said you don't know how to use Photoshop. Photoshop happens to be the most powerful photo editing suite on the market and is capable of doing things that no other program can. If you take time to learn how to use it, you will find that it becomes almost indispensible. The ability to work with graphics as vector objects alone makes life much easier and cleaner looking when it comes to skinning. More and more programs are adopting the layer workflow that Photoshop has and for good reason. It works out great and once you get used to it, is very easy to understand and work with.

As to tutorials being from "someone who thinks he knows what he is doing", perhaps that is true in some instances, but if you don't follow along with a tutorial to see, then how can you judge what is "someone who knows what he is doing" compared to "someone who thinks he knows"? There are people who have been working with Photoshop for years and actually do know what they are doing and may even have good tips on how to do things faster and easier than the way that you may currently be doing things.

It is always best to keep an open mind, because if you don't, good information is going to pass you by.

9. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Thank you for the info ;) ......I will let you know about the result.

10. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Some tutorials are better than others, but almost all of them have some good, solid information and little tips. Not one single person on the planet knows everything about Photoshop (or Paintshop Pro), everyone has space to learn. Also, there is no right or wrong way to 'skin' a car, there's just different ways. I've been using PS as a hobbyist and professionally for over 12 years, and I'm still learning new things and developing new techniques.

PS is a damn sight better than Paintshop, that's for sure. It may be far over-bloated if all you're doing is making skins, but it's still better than PSP. It is the standard for raster image editing, nothing else comes close.

11. tjc

tjc Registered

+1 :)

12. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Hi guys, after a try, nothing is like a chrome effect. Can one of you can put a pic of the template just before saving in the alpha channel? Should i leave the alpha channel "on" and the RGB "off" before saving ?

13. Twista

Twista Registered

You can't get a chrome effect in RF2 currently. The current shaders don't allow it, though they have in previous builds.

14. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Thanks for the information....I will wait ;)

15. squeech

squeech Registered

Hi there,

painting the PSDs provided by ISI works perfectly. I was able to bring it all into the game after converting it to *.dds files and name it correctly. BUT after a while Photoshop refuses to Save the files properly. When i click "Save As" the save button greys out and nothing happens. I can cancel and go on with painting which means that PS doesen't freeze.

When i delete the Plug-in File from the plug-ins folder i can save files again, but as you can guess not as dds. Putting the file back in i can choose the dds format, but saving doesn't work again.

First i tired CS5... after not being able to save i switched to CS6. It worked for a couple of saves. and then again the save button greyed out and I couldn't go on.

has somebody experienced something similar?

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Are you using a trial version of Photoshop?

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Sounds like something wrong with the plugin. Maybe he isn't using the latest version? If he is he should try an older version.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

That or he is using the 32bit on a 64bit system or vice versa?

19. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

FR:

Sa fait longtemps que j'utilise photoshop CS3 et CS5 pour faire des screenshot , du webdesign, et des skins...
    j'ai toujours installer le fameux plug-in DDS pour photoshop et sa na jamais marcher pour ma part.
    donc a chaque fois j'enregistre mes fichier en PSD et j'utilise "DDS converter" afin de convertir mon fichier en DDS.

ENG:

Its been a while since I used photoshop CS3 and CS5 to make screenshot, web design, and skins ...
    I always install the famous DDS plugin for photoshop and did not work for me.
    So every time I save my PSD file and I use "DDS converter" to convert my file DDS.

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The Nvidia DDS Plugin uses Java script for mip-map generation. Have you Java installed on your machine?