Oval race caution laps adding to total race distance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MetalMania, Mar 18, 2018.

1. MetalMania

MetalMania Registered

Hi - I set up a custom Race Event so I could make my own offline USF2000 championship (using the RF2 log analyzer to track results and points). When I set up a race, I just select the track and manually enter parameters for the sessions - the road races have all been timed events. However, I just ran my first oval race at Northside, and I set this one to be a distance of 60 laps rather than time.

During the race, every time there is a full course caution (the only kind on ovals), the number of laps run under caution is being added to the total number of race laps. Checkered flag didn't come out until lap 78. I don't want this to happen, I want the race to end at my scheduled number of laps regardless of caution periods. I can't seem to find a setting for this in the menus, unless I'm missing it or not understanding what something means. Do I have to go into a file somewhere and edit something?

2. Brent

Brent Registered

You will need to edit the line in the .rfm file (below) and select that .rfm file when creating your event with the MAS Utility. This is the line you want to change..

// Whether caution laps are counted towards the total number of laps; default=1, possible values 0 or 1.
    CountCautionLaps = 1

3. MetalMania

MetalMania Registered

Brent, thanks for your reply. Sorry but I'm going to have to go into total noob mode - I've got lots of hours driving in RF2 but not much in the way of modding content or editing files. I created my USF2000 series race event already, following a tutorial I found somewhere. I found the file, and it's an 'rfmod" file, but it doesn't appear that the MAS utility can actually open the file... I select it while in the utility and nothing happens. Do I have to re-create the event with a particular .rfm file?

This all makes me feel like I really, REALLY hope Studio 397 is going to include this kind of stuff in the updated UI.

4. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Wen you created the rfmod file at the very beginning of the process there were some files to be included. They are set as default but you can change them by ticking the box in the utility. If you tick the box you can then chose another rfm file instead of the default one.

So before creating the rfmod open the default rfm file in notepad edit the line as above and save as my.rfm or similar. Then when you go to create the rfmod file chose your rfm file which will change the rules in game. Sorry I’m away from the pc at the minute so this might not be perfect as off the top of my head.

5. Brent

Brent Registered

Yes, what Scoopscat is saying.

You want to click the "customize" check box in Step 3 of this tutorial
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554544322

You want to locate the path for the NCRS15.rfm from the "rFm File:" pulldown. The "AppData" folder is hidden so you need to turn on view hidden files option in windows explorer. Save a copy of that file to another location, I'd put it in a folder on your desktop to find it easy. Edit the file with notepad. Now when you create the mod, click customize, then click the B "browse" box to the right of the pulldown and browse for the .rfm you edited and click open. Hope this helps.

6. MetalMania

MetalMania Registered

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll have to re-build the Race Event / Series in order to find and edit the file and then recompile it using that file. Haven't had a chance to do so yet but I'll give it a shot, was hoping there would be a file I could edit after the Race Event / Series had already been created. Thanks again for the info!