OT: V8Supercars at Austin this weekend.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FatCity, May 16, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I should've flown from the UK last week to be there this weekend but cash strapped :( Crowds looked better than Bahrain which is'nt hard, although the clash with NASCAR All Star Race and Indy500 Pole Weekend means the attendance will be low anyway. TV audiences might be high in the states though, just found out last night its on Premier Sports (two races) & MotorsTV (all 4 races) Live this weekend :cool:

If they want to seriously attract bigger crowds to the track they'd have to have it on a non-NASCAR weekend from now on if at all possible, although converting the Left Turners will be almost impossible and I know that first hand from trying to convert them myself :(

EDIT: the track looks awesome, that run upto T1 is immense and the twisty S bends section looked like fun, need this track (and layout) in RF2!

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Same can be said about leftright turners. Good thing about NASCAR however is that they race on both type of tracks, so maybe they are little more open minded.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

viewing figures drop dramatically for the two road course events, there was a poll of NASCAR fans a couple years back and they voted massively in favour of dropping both races! if anything v8supercars need to target the Indy and sports car crowds, anything from NASCAR would be a bonus.

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I don't know where you get your stats, but viewing rates in Cup series for Watkins Glen and Sonoma are very good: http://www.jayski.com/pages/tvratings2012.htm

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Commentators at last years Sonoma mentioned it, obviously wrong about the figures! Besides the road racing fans probably tuned into watch those races ;)
    They also mentioned the poll and showed it on screen, cant remember the exact vote count but there was a massive interest in dropping them.

Anyway it's still gonna be hard for the V8s to get big crowds, if its true about the 5 year deal then hopefully time will help them get more noticed over the years....and gives me more time to go see them!!

6. Radar

Radar Registered

5 year deal.. Nice :)

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

most boring, processional racing on the planet...raced by boys with rich daddys

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Watching re-play now on youtube!

Edit. Holy crap I'm only four laps in and already so much has happened!

Race 13 was good race. Now who's bringing this incredible track (yes and cars) to rf2?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
  9. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

2 nights in a row I couldnt make it to 5 am :(

1 hour highlights on Sunday what a crock!

10. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

track hmmmmmmmmmm

I know someone who knows some one who knows someone that has the track ;p

11. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Agree Although having the rich daddies is not the only reason these boys are racing ... sure it helps.

12. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

if they went to lime rock I would take the drive to see them, it would be epic!

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I'm re-installing rf1 and osrm now after watching this!

14. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Watkins Glen and Sonoma are the only two Cup races I make sure to tune in for. The Nationwide Road America, Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen races should be good as well.

The ticket prices for the Aussie V8 races weren't bad considering the $70 included the entire weekend. I'll see if I can talk some of my friends into going next year.

15. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

same prices we pay in aus good to here

16. FatCity

FatCity Registered

According to an article in todays Herald Sun newspaper ( largest Melbourne paper) by James Phelps, V8Supercars are looking at a 2nd event in America, talks are underway. They have approached some tracks and have been approached by tracks looking at holding a 2nd race over there.
    They say it doesnt mean specifically USA but could be also in Canada or Mexico.
    California and New York were also mentioned.
    I would love to see these at Laguna Seca, I think it would be an ideal track for them and logistically it would be good too.

Also my son, who is a walking motorsport encyclopedia, read that there were around 68,000 spectators at Austin over the whole weekend. I think thats pretty good for a 1st up event considering the Grand Am series event a week or so ago didnt look that much more populated when I watched it.
    V8Supercars have said they have no interest in an oval track, they know there is no possibility of drawing Nascar fans away from them.
    With how big Nascar is , not only in the US as it has a good following here although not many like to say it, it would be a good opportunity to learn from them event wise.

I loved the track, watching them bounce over those kerbs was some fantastic footage so yes I hope it is done for RF2 as well.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah on tv they said 68,000. another US race would be great although I can see the aussies getting upset with that...they already hate overseas races hehe

18. coops

coops Banned

if its viable and we can also get a repeat coverage later that night for those who did not get up early to watch it. as this was a big complaint by some.

19. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Hey better than what we get, potluck coverage. Sometimes weeks later, sometimes over a month from what I've seen. Hell, the thing was in Texas and I STILL didn't see it live on tv.

20. Nachaso

Nachaso Registered