OT: Lotus 49 onboard!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mauro, Apr 6, 2013.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

ok, cheers :D

btw, Im not sure article is valid, or I dont know my engineering.

2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Is that you Spinelli?

Interesting vid, as despite how slippery the car seemed, it was primarily the ass end that was out of shape, unlike rf2's 60F1's which have ludicrous amounts of understeer, literally whole feets worth of movement even at 120kph etc.
    I'm thinking that the 60F2 is more of an indication of how the real 60F1 drove+ a boost in power.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

All f1s, 50s, 60s, 70s etc, were set to understeer, they were not cowboys cars, they were supposed to turn with minimum oversteer.
    Huge motor at the back, if they were oversteering you wouldnt go anywhere in them.

4. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Did you watch the vid, it's a ton of oversteer mainly, and nowhere near the crazy 2-3 feet worth we get with the 60F1.

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

of course I watced the vid, perhaps you didnt notice he made a bad downshift there.
    These cars have huge power at the back, they are really light, if you overdo it theyll certainly oversteer and badly (cold threaded tires there too), thats why they are set to understeer to compensate this.

(Im not making up this, just research a bit.)

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

To be more precice this must have happened at late 70s when rear engine F1s were upped to 3 ltrs, before that there should be no need, not much hp.

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

btw, glad you are back.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Tried it last Thursday, still junk. It feels like Need for Speed Shift mixed with some sort of good physics mod It's harder and less planted than before, but it's still total sim cade. I would consider it, at most, a competitor to stock GTR2, (not the mods, only stock because stock GTR2 was dumbed down). It can't compete with the top RFactor 1 mods or Game Stock Car 2012 or Netkar Pro, let alone true current/next gen sims like RFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, IRacing.

It's pretty bad if comparing it to a hardcore sim, but for a general game people would definitely consider it a more realistic title, but it's not a true sim, way too simplistic in it's vehicle dynamics. Way too many instances where car's are being driven hard close to their limits much too easily and straightforward, it's a good blend of casual fun and "realistic" physics, but it ain't no true sim.

Well, in my opinion that is.

Is what/who me?? The poster??

On a separate note, that vid had some of the most understeer I have seen in my life (not exaggerating). Definetely seems to be setup that way, on top of what some others have mentioned already.

You can just constantly corner after corner constantly see him holding the throttle at a specific position because he's at the edge of front grip, any more throttle would just cause him to understeer even more, and possibly off track. However, MAYBE, but NOT DEFINITELY, if he went beyond that point of more throttle = more understeer, he might have eventually reached a point where enough throttle would cause the rear to slip which would sort of get the car rotated in order to sort of get rid of or counter the understeer (or possibly put it in a 4 wheel slide) and I think that's how these cars are supposed to be driven.

He wasn't really doing that, yet us simmers, even ammeters or just plain bad drivers/players tend to do this within the first corner even with a new car. Just shows how different real life is.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  10. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

I'm with Spinelli here, look at the faster corners, he is turning in almost as much as in the hairpins. It's sliding over the front axis like hell and you can see him having trouble with the downshifts is all. Also it seems like he is eating the front tires in the fast corners.

On a personal note I would have cursed the understeer in this car(which I still love dearly).

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Sv: OT: Lotus 49 onboard!

Well..How much time did they spend on the setup? How slippery was the tarmac of that quite new track?

12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

in the game, the 60F1 has feets worth of understeer, but the 60F2/F3 do not.

13. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

No, the drunkard....LOL.

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

:)

15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yes but the 60F1 still understeers badly around corners at 120kph etc, and I don't think the F2 would be too far behind it, maybe only a few kph less.

16. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I rewatched the video and Christ does that car make a great sound.

17. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

Why should they? The very reason the F1s are set up for understeer is because of the large amount of hp(at least for the generated grip), that problem eliminates itself in the F2s and 3s and therefor the understeer isn't needed and the car can be set up more balanced.

18. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I doubt a single person on this forum can say with a straight face how those car were setup back in the day, its 100% speculation so please guys, dont try to pass it of as facts u surely know.

19. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

True, but at the same time we can make well founded speculations and/or theories. Their might even be mechanics still around to use as a source, if someone has somthing like that please link it. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one beeing grateful for that.

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Not really, forum Police is out to get you :D