[OT] Anyone believe that pCars will become a real sim racing game when its released?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Jerry Luis, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

If not, just take look of wasted graphics capabilities:

Sry for opening a thread just for doing a question that i probably already know the answer, but these graphics simply amazes me.

ps1: The formula cars it was the best of all i think
    ps2: Forza is another title that impress me a lot from their Silvertone screenshots i see other day

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

First of all -- what a classy video :)

In short, yes I do believe it will be a sim from that conventional use. There is still a fair way to go for the product which won't be released for another year but I'm very encouraged by the work in the tyre department in particular (FFB needs to match it though generally).

I did some tyre temperature tests with the McLaren GT3 at Northampton -- sunny day in spring. After talking to a GT3 driver about tyre temps generally, the figures we have for the default tyre appear spot on for the time it takes to get up to temperature, the temperature the tyres reach and the expected overheating temperature during an errant spin.

[​IMG]

Below is the transition from Lap 1 (white/grey line) to lap 4 (colours) - note the spin in lap 1:

[​IMG]

Did some further testing too in the GT3 McLaren with the slick v hard compound GT tyres, looking at their temperature variations. As expected, the soft tyres run a little bit warmer as this simplified graph shows below (FL and RL ... slick(colour) hard (grey). This was lap 3.

[​IMG]

And here is soft slick (colour) v default (grey) for the corresponding lap (4):

[​IMG]

Looking pretty good I'd say.

3. jrg_carrion94

jrg_carrion94 Registered

I think it'll be a good sim, they still have a full year to improve physics

4. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Why are the tire temperatures a indicator for a good sim?
    I think all these games, that are also developed for consoles (even the Wii! in this case), will never be able to simulate as much in the physics department, as the PC-sims do.
    But i sure hope this title will at least be drivable nicely someday, because the graphics and licenses are great!

5. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I think it will drive well enough that sim racers will call it a simulator to give themselves the right to play a pretty game that's a bit off in the physics department.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That last scene.....car waiting on track for his opponent and as he passes by music is playing to raise the tension....and then he go's for pursuit....
    Yeah, its going to be targeted at real simdrivers :p

(don't really have an opinion btw)

7. tjc

tjc Registered

My answer... no.

I`m not knocking it so don`t jump on me but no... I don`t think any game that`s a console cash cow (even going to the Wii :rolleyes:) can be classed a real simulation of driving.

It`s not possible imo.

I`ll be interested to see where this is in a year or so but sim...

No. :)

8. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Because they are the most important factor determining tyre behaviour, and the tyres are the most important factor determining car behaviour. If you look closely at the graphs, they will tell you a good deal about the way the physics operates on this particular car.

I thought as you do about PC only sims about a year ago, but this product is PC-based in the first instance, and the consoles will be variations of the full monty physics / graphics engines.

So in short built for PC, but available also in other versions, perhaps with some recalibration of fidelity (although the new consoles' computing power may mean that is not really necessary). Also remember it's a pretty big team working on pCARS.

Yes some great licenses -- just need to nail some great official tracks now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. C3PO

C3PO Registered

But if it didn't, it automatically would?

10. ViSo

ViSo Registered

my answer = No.

It will be the next GT/Forza, like Asseto Corsa, they are developed to have impresive graphics, and not impresive physics, they are simarcades, they arent simulators, there are only one simulator: rFactor 2.

11. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I think part of the problem is the perception that great graphics and visuals can only be achieved at the expense of fidelity in the physics department. Entirely reasonable as this is how it has been in the past. pCARS started off from a bit of a dodgy base physics-wise even though the visuals were already very impressive.

I'm sure many here are pCARS members but I am also pretty sure not everyone keeps a close tabs on the physics and most importantly the tyre development that constantly pushes on. My tests using telemetry often make me smile with their results. The focus is delivering more of that goodness through to the wheel through tweaking the massive number of FFB variables I am sure is most of the issue.

Hopefully there will come a point fairly soon when the developers will start shouting about the physics more -- such as analysis pieces posted and advertised on the front page of the pCARS site to allow people to see that it's not just good visuals.

Remember too, the plurality of the racing sim market is the key to its longevity and future success. And just for clarity, I'm just a bog standard senior member, so have no interest in talking up the product for financial returns. I say say it as I see it (as they sometimes see at pCARS, hehe).

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Not with you there C3PO...

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

No, I don't believe so, it's to far down the line now, it's pretty much found its market ....for those it appeals too

14. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Lets face it with Videos like that, It'll sell piles and piles on all formats regardless if its a sim, a simcade or whatever.

15. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Pre Scriptum (does that exist?): Sorry for my English, hard to express those kind of stuff not in your native language, hope I didn't write below nonsense or contrary of what I'm thinking. And yeah, that's just my opinion off course ;)

First, JonZ is a Master God trailer maker, period. This guy rules and will be able to make an amazing trailer just showing a phone book, and phone companies will run out of stock.

Second, I hope they will be able to reach what they want to reach. They know they have a past which don't serve them to make believe to the mass they can do a real simulator ala rF2. They are fighting to prove they can go further than what was due to publishers they worked for. They get rid of any publisher to be able to do what they wanted to do. I have big hope as in one year I saw so many improvement on physic department. They had to first go to graphics to bring people into the project, and they sure know how to appeal on graphic side. Now from past months they focus a lot on physics and FFB and make amazing progress, even if lot of work still need to be done. Possibly Project Cars 1 will not go enough further for our current taste, possibly only a Chapter Two or Chapter Three will reach that, anyway I have lot of respect due to the wishes of this team and the work they do to reach them.

Third, it's a really smart and nice team, real professionals and really good technicians with open minds. I enjoy to share, discuss, participate when I can with those Guys. Releasing a nearly daily build for mass people is an huge and difficult work, and that imply a perfect method and organisation which impress me (as a dev, and a game dev in my previous life).

And I don't think the fact they also plan consoles mean the PC version will be lowered. Consoles version will be lowered if needed due to possible technical caveats, but the computer version will be as far as they can go. Yeah, I'm respectful of those guys. ISI don't have to prove anything IMHO coming from rFactor and so much really good Sims. rF2 is IMO the most amazing Sim currently running on my computer. SMS will have lot of work to reach such level, and AFAIK they don't want to just reach a level to appeal mass market. They want to reach a certain reputation, a certain level in Sim department. Hat Off for the strength they put on that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I don´t think so:
    They want to go online. They want to do it on PS4, Xbox one, PC and WiiU!
    The versions have to be compatible/ equal in terms of driving experience.
    So there is no other way as lowering the computations down to a level which the weakest part (machine,
    in this case WiiU) can handle.
    So it´s logical that the hole physics model will be way way more simple than what for example rF2 has.

Greets
    Pete

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

So that means that the physics will be good? Just like Race Pro's physics were?

18. pas74

pas74 Registered

quote +10000!!!!

19. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

pCARS is horrible, when I tried newest build few weeks ago I had to completely disable FFB as it felt so bad.

20. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Don't agree at all. They don't really know for now how they will handle this part between Consoles and PC on multiplayer side, no final decision made. And I can ensure 100 % reading devs discussions on WMD forum that they will not lower all Sims just because WIIU is in the loop ;) that will be more than stupid on all sides including sales ones and they are not stupid at all ;)