Oscillation issue with OSW and rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Curtis1, May 14, 2017.

1. Curtis1

Curtis1 Registered

Hi guys,

TLDR: Had osw setup perfectly for rF2, made changes for iRacing and now can't get even a decent setup for rF2. Oscillions make playing sim unbearable. Help me please.

I have the Simucube and small Mige OSW setup. When I first got my osw, I visited this forum http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/28926-Share-your-OSW-Settings/page2 and setup my osw with rF2 and it worked very well. I then tweaked a few setting using the tips found here http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/20549-rfactor2-osw-small-mige-json/ and I had what I considered the perfect ffb.

I then got a 3 month subscription to iRacing and wasn't playing rF2 at all. I was however not as happy with the ffb and thought it was something to do with my osw settings. I played around in Granity and got it setup quite nicely but still not as good as I had it for good rF2. I was happily enjoying iRacing but when my subscription expired and I returned back to rF2, the ffb was awful! The oscillation made driving unbearable. I went back to the forums linked above to see if I could recreate the settings I had before, but no matter what I did I could not get rid of the oscillation.

rF2 has just release a major update and I would like to get this sorted out ASAP. Can you help me? Post your OSW setting for rF2 or offer suggestion on how I can remedy the problem would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. bluet

bluet Registered

hi it looks like your ppr is 10000 in granity machine tab do you have a 10000 encoder in your midge if so 10000 is correct ..and your mmos encoder cpr is set to 20000 IT SHOULD BE SET TO 40000 ...........ie always multiply your ppr by 4 to get the correct encoder cpr....this WILL cause your ocillation problems..this is how you save the 40000 encoder settings...go to mmos device setup change your encoder cpr setting to 40000 then click SAVE another window will pop up click NO I REPEAT CLICK NO then click cancel ....... then go to mmos ffb 2014 now under configuration lower right corner left side box click there select default then click save then click left box again select eprom and save and all is done ...i noticed in mmosffb you have no centre steering saved ...put your wheel straight ahead and tick the small circle to save centre......also when your start any game that uses mmos and the wheel has done it calibration thing .. turn your wheel 90 deg to the left and right for it to work the correct way....hope this helps....regards denis PS am not home for the next 7 days so unable to post my settings

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Narrowbackwing and kimikaze like this.
  3. Curtis1

Curtis1 Registered

I really appreciate your assistance @bluet. Thanks for the detailed post. I made the suggested changes and it has help but has not totally eliminated the oscillations. I would say the improvement is about 50% better then it was before. If you could post your setting when you return home I would be grateful. Thanks again!

Anyone else have a suggestion?

4. bluet

bluet Registered

hi curtis where are you getting the oscillations ..in the pits when stationary or when you are driving...as you are a member of Iracing you should check out there forums under hardware as that is where the whole osw wheel system started and many knowledgeable people there to help you...i suggest you post your problems there.....just a thought in your jason player/ userdata/controller under the setting..steering effects strength if it has -1000 remove the minus sign - if it has no - add it as i seem to remember you have to do this with rf2 when you have a osw......so try with or without the minus sign and see if that helps PS this is just a thought although i am sure i did that...also set your steering torque capability to 20 if you have the small midge or 30 for the large midge otherwise you will not get 20nm or 30 nm from your wheel in the game .also in mmos ffb 2014 force settings set overall filter to 5% if that helps save to default and eprom

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  5. Curtis1

Curtis1 Registered

After loading the sim while sitting in the pits I turn the wheel from left to right. All seems well until I start to pick up speed down pit lane. I will turn the wheel slightly to either the left or right then let go of the wheel. At this point the wheel goes into an oscillation that increases with intensity until i grab the wheel again and force it to stop. After changes to the proper encoder setting it has settled down in its intensity somewhat but is definitely still there.

I have made all the changes is the various json files and even set the mmos filter to as high as 24 but the problem persists. I was hoping to try your settings to see if they would make a difference. I will post over at iRacing and see if some of the more knowledgeable member can assist also.

6. bluet

bluet Registered

curtis i just had a look at Iracing re your problem for osw i think your problem is in your jason user data /player/controller/steering effects strength....make sure it is set to -10000 that is minus sign 10000 YOU MUST HAVE THIS SETTING FOR OSW :) also as you have simcube the only thing for effects you use is overall filter you should not have to use more than 7%......all other settings are done in granity ..i use jason jordaski drc file for granity simcube you can download from the Iracing hardware forum....good luck

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. anista_eb1

anista_eb1 Registered

Hi Guys, I hope you don't mind if I jump in, or possibly gate crash your thread with a newb requestion for help.

I too have a small mige from the guys at Sim-Lab and have struggled from day one to get RF2 working in the same way as ACC, Raceroom and most recently AMS2.

Having tried a plethora of tips and tricks and all work with moderate success, I think the trick is the "Holy Trinity"

1. Simucube Fonfig Tool
    2. Controller jasn file
    3. builtin profile jasn file

Bluet, are you able to please help me :) ?

8. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

With regards to the .json file. There are a couple of other things that might cause oscillations besides the steering effects strength that bluet mentioned. There are two lines "Steering resistance coefficient" and "Steering resistance saturation"; you want both of these set to 0.1, or roughly around there. You can play around with them to your liking, but if you set them too high, you'll get very strong and sometimes plain weird forces which will cause oscillation.