[REL] Oregon Raceway Park by Alessio Contardi

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Slow Motion, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Hmm the issue with evening is the brightness of the sky, it should be the darker hue of blue. Morning doesn't look like morning BUT the grass look for those are nicely done.

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

In my opinion it's pretty close to the original in terms of colors. The sky depends on the weather system. Maybe we see an an improvement (more variation) in the future.

3. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thank you Tosch, but I already presented the external terrain with more "green" and ORP owners preferred the latest version (the latest video I posted above). It is not a problem of "color". On my side I preferred and considered the "mixed" version I presented the best one and closest to the real environment, but if the owners prefer the latest one, I'll go ahead with the latest one. Obviously the real life deserves different seasons and different conditions for the fields around the circuit, but if rFactor2 doesn't allow the "live environment", we are forced to prefer one or another one. I can only hope that the feature will be coded by ISI to be a step ahead in the realism.

One thing only the ORP owners would like for the external terrain: some few little areas in green, not too many like the mixed version. It means to rework the 3d vertex of the external terrain to assign the "green" to smaller areas... and when the author will take his decision about the future of the track, we'll see.

Thank you.

4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

First post updated for info and link to the second public beta 0.79

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow, that's a big step forward in terms of the environment looking like a real place. It's so much easier to "see/feel" the track.

A bit more variation in the grass (some longer and clumpier grass) to make it look like the natural environment that it is rather than mowed grass would be a great addition.

And not sure if it was there before, but seeing Mount Hood was very nice :) The land surrounding the track has a bit of a table-top effect right now, with the horizon image very much in the background. I think that the small hills nearby need a bit more variation in height and land form. This is tough, I know, to do realistically, but if Alessio is up for the challenge... :)

6. m0ck

m0ck Registered

Wow... it looks awesome now ;)

7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I opted out of the earlier version, but having tried todays update, wow, great work ! I enjoyed the warm up lap with the AI warming tyres, I wish AI was this good in other circuits, really immersive to see them doing that.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Visuals are great, love it! I feel like I'm out in that part of Oregon now.

Tried the CCW full track with the Clio Cup cars (something nice & slow to familiarize myself with the track, LOL) and noted:
    0) Loading screen says "Grass Walley" instead of "Grass Valley"
    1) some cones float after being hit
    2) Going off-track should be 25% dustier, 25% bouncier, and have definite gravel noise [jump to 2:15 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI2M422ibl8]
    3) A default .WET file would be a nice finishing touch so the temperature & clouds vary
    4) AI probably shouldn't try using the curbs that cause rollovers (narrow corridors to restrict their attempts)
    5) AI probably should use some curbing going into the half-pipe and maybe somewhere else that I can't remember
    6) Giving the AI a touch more grip might be sensible since there are a lot of slow turns [never mind... just remembered the Clio AI has a larger spread of talent]
    7) That blind hard left somewhere past the half-pipe is a killer when you get it wrong!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thank you Emery for the list. About the .wet file: it is already into each layout, but sincerely I didn't look at the content with attention. More grip to AIs depends of the mod, I don't want to alter the default values into the AIW file.

Don't forget guys: this is only the second public beta and there is a great room for improvements. I hope the author will have time in the future (maybe during the winter?) to finish the track. At the moment, in any case, I think we have already a great track.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Those are all excellent points; I noticed most of that too when I did my first race on the updated track, albeit in the Palatov.

I don't remember the name of the layout (first one on the track list), but the AI takes the fast right hand T1 going slightly over one hell of a nasty white inside curb.
    This causes them to bounce and go off track to the left, often provoking a safety car.

I also noticed a few spots where the AI take a bit of a weird line and lose time because of it.
    A good example would be the extreme camber left/right that is also featured on the loading screen.
    The AI kind of avoids the apexes here almost staying in the middle of the track.

The formation lap looks STUNNING with the AI warming up their tires. Great job on that!
    It looks so realistic, so organic and alive. Love it. :cool:

The terrain looks amazing too, you have struck such a nice, natural looking balance.
    This track will become one of the classics of rF2, I'm sure. Great work so far! :)

11. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Emery, I double checked the WET file and it is okay. If you think not can you please pm to me a sample of the wet you look at?

And can you provide more details or a shot about the cone(s) that is(are) floating? I could add a coefficient into the GDB file, in case; currently it is the default one.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Sure will when I'm back home.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

WET file is my fault. Totally forgot I was on scripted rather than default. Yes, you have chosen well!

The cone doesn't hover in the replay (in live play, I saw it horizontal to the ground, about a foot up in the air), but it doesn't exactly sit on the ground, either. Using the CCW main circuit, it is located at the south circuit cutoff on the early part of the lap. Here is a screenshot of the cone from the replay:

View attachment 17907

14. matf1

matf1 Registered

Many thanks for the update.
    I've tried lot's of cars around this track but for some reason could not get the flow going. Last night after trying the M1, it occurred to me the Skippy might be a bit of fun.
    It turns out that for me at least it is the best car ever to learn the track and quite possibly some of the best AI racing around.
    Love the update and can't wait to get back out on track.

15. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thank you, I'll review it. I have an idea about it, but I have to do some tests

16. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Not able to reproduce the cone's issue... I can only retype the ISI known issue about Collision:-Loose objects (cones, haybales, etc.) "fall asleep" inappropriately, sometimes up in the air, and essentially turn into solid objects.

17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

First post updated with link to the latest version 0.80

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TRACK CAN BE DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED ALSO IN THE RFACTOR2 LAUNCHER, under REMOTE CONTENT label.

Thank you

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Cool! My first time I downloaded a track this way. :D

Many thanks Slow Motion and Alessio.

19. yusupov

yusupov Registered

that remote content thing is nifty...is it curated by ISI?

20. Emery

Emery Registered

Thank you for spoiling us! I like the little touches added in this update and the trackside camera is better.