[REL] Oregon Raceway Park by Alessio Contardi

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Slow Motion, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I think it is only right to give credit to those who merit and together we can do better things, isn't it?

2. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Here 2 videos for comparison of, both new, "green" and "yellow" versions:

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thanks for the videos! I absolutely love the dried out yellow version of the track. It's so distinct and recognizable. Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Although a combination of the two would probably be the most realistic! (See video in post 1)

5. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Having travelled through that beautifully forlorn area, I prefer the more naturally sun burnt flavour of the grass. Have to check out this track next time I'm by that way. Thank you so much Slow Motion & crew. Awesome fun with the Palatov :D

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I prefer yellow for two reasons:
    1- Distinguishable textures vs the green which is not lively and lacks distinction of texture sections
    2- Closer to the dried-out surroundings we see in the videos

Good luck with your welcomed work!

7. Justy

Justy Registered

Looks great! Like others have said, the yellow version, at least in these videos, seems more detailed and natural looking. It's worth bearing in mind though, that the video resolution is quite low, which in my opinion is masking a lot of the subtleties of the green version. :)

Both look brill, can't wait to try it out. :)

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I agree with you Marc, but at the moment what I can do is only using the current 3d vertex playing with textures and shader values... I hope Alessio in the future will have time to spend on track.

And I also agree with the Guimengo sentence that something still lacks in the green layout. Again, Alessio will can do much more than me in the future.

Anyway I'm waiting for the ORP owners choice, then I'll go ahead.
    Thank you for your suggestions and opinions!

9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Well, I think to have caught the best... not "pale" surround but also green areas like the video. We'll see comments of ORP owners.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sure looks like an improvement to me. Not just because of realism, but for ability to see the track. The monotone options (either one) tend to overwhelm the track visually (in my opinion).

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You have found a sweet spot with the mix of the terrain styles.

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Mr. Palatov said: Marco, i really like it! i think it's a great mix and does represent typical conditions well.
    I'm still waiting for an answer by ORP owners, hoping positive. This option is based on Tosch terrain, I worked changing one texture to a channel and changing drastically the RGB values, to have this effect.
    Thank you for positive comments.

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Well, after few more suggestions by real drivers of the ORP, here is a new version that I hope can add a little bit more realism (and less green, lol).

Can you please express your opinion? Thank you.

14. rhamm

rhamm Registered

ORP newterrain is my favorite but they all look pretty nice.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The colours will be more or less accurate to one season or another....I don't personally care as long as it looks accurate overall to at least one season.

To help with that, the next steps for the track would be to work on the track edging. Look at the non-random variations in the edge of the track and the landscape area adjacent to the edge of the track in the first post video. Replicating that--a difficult and tedious job--would help immensely.

The only other issue is the texturing on the main parts of the landscape. If you notice in the first video, the darker versus lighter, more green versus more brown, longer grass versus shorter grass, thicker grass versus more bare dirt, etc., are not random. They appear due to nature, or nature's reaction to cutting a track though the middle of an otherwise natural landscape. Again tedious, but those details are what makes tracks like those of feels3 look like real places.

ORP is already fun, but if you want to take the track to the next level, these two things are where I recommend paying attention. The overall colour scheme is fine! :)

16. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Yes, I agree and I had in mind same wish. I spoke to the author about it and maybe in the future he will work on it, after he will have made few more things that now are missing.

What I made is to work on shader values and textures of the terrain that is always the same original 3d. And, based on this concept, I'd like to know if this latest version is more realistic than the previous ones.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's great considering it is just working with the original textures.

And the track can be released with these simpler textures and always updated to more detail later. It doesn't affect the basic use of the track, just the immersion and realism.

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Color tone looks very familiar now :)

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The true test.

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Some test screens with reshade (morning, noon ,evening). Good job Alessio and Slow Motion!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Reshade settings.
    https://www.mediafire.com/?6oc6q0ka5b3sl3v
    Just extract all files to "C:\rFactor2CORE\Bin64". You can enable/disable Reshade ingame with the scroll lock key (Bildlauf, german keyboard). If you don't like it remove the files (especially the injector d3d9.dll).