[REL] Oregon Raceway Park by Alessio Contardi

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Slow Motion, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

UPDATE OF SEPTEMBER 15TH, 2015: VERSION 0.80
    ==========================================

few fixes to the previous version and credits update

This version (unfinished) will be the latest one for time, depending of the wishes of Alessio Contardi, the main author.

LINK to Mega: https://mega.nz/#!SwASBYoY!oZY_QyZkd27r5gv33MIUUKEL0MUQX_Xkb6NzUMZbw4g

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TRACK IS AVAILABLE ALSO INTO THE RFACTOR2 LAUNCHER under REMOTE CONTENT label

UPDATE OF SEPTEMBER 08TH, 2015: second PUBLIC BETA 0.79
    ========================================================

Link removed

The new beta mainly focuses on:
    - new terrain approved by ORP owners
    - reflections working
    - shadows, etc... fixed
    - day/night overall environment fixed

Thank you Tosch for useful inputs!

UPDATE OF JULY 17TH, 2015: first PUBLIC BETA 0.72
    =============================================

Link removed

Here is the list of todo:

- silos (left side of circuit after turn #2 CW)
    - gasoline machine (next to parking area)
    - terrain around parking areas and overall
    - check for searching if missing vehicle shadows in few parts of the track (depending of Satellite background height?)
    - reflections (at all)
    - AI warmup formation lap to be improved in the future if new code will be added into rF2(?)
    - CAM to be improved (?)
    - little building at the gate of the circuit and gravel road to it (access road to the circuit)
    - new animated flags (?)
    - new suits for workers (?)
    - north layout for training (and fictional pits, garages, etc... due to rF2 limits)
    - new incoming buildings (looking at the new facilities that will be built this year)

Alessio currently has zero time to dedicate to his hobby, but I'll report to him all your comments.
    Thank you and enjoy the track: remember to drive SLOWLY the first laps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

===============================================================================

During the development of the Palatov D4 we needed some reference circuits to compare real-world performances and behaviors for different D4 configurations (engines, rear wings, different compounds, etc.).

For this reason Alessio Contardi started developing a draft of ORP for internal use only, following accurately a large quantity of real gps data provided by Mr. Palatov, in addition to the official ones for the surface cambers of each turn provided by the ORP staff.

Later we received many pictures under our specific request for a better idea of the environment.
    The circuit (the real one) is still under construction for facilities and many other details, so it will change in the future and we hope to have time and wish to follow these enhancements. In the meantime, Alessio is adding original 3d parts made by scratch just to reproduce the essence of the circuit itself.

The track surface is at a very good level and driving fast is a challenge, due to the particular configuration and ups and downs of the area; it is also very tiring, but getting on well with different layouts, you will hate or love this track: no half measures!

Uhmmm I have to add, sincerely, you will hate the track at first, thinking which were the reasons to build a layout similar to a kart track with such large areas available: nothing more wrong to think. Once you perceive the brake distance for each turn, how to retain few throttle in braking, you will feel to fly, dancing over the surface how no other circuit can provide!

Here you can see one of the videos that shows a D4 at ORP, just to have an idea of the terrain, etc... and for comparing it with the video made by Racefrak1976 that he will post down.

We are thinking to release, at a certain stage of the development, an open beta, but if right now someone wants to try it and give us his feedback can request it by PM to me.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Oregon Raceway Park for rFactor2 [Video]

Here is the track in rFactor2:

Fullscreen and 1080p is recommended. :cool:

Full lap with two different cameras:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

These are exactly the characteristics that are typically used for race school tracks for Skippys and so on. This track will be good for many cars besides the Palatov.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

> The circuit (the real one) is still under construction for facilities and many other details, so it will change in the
    > future and we hope to have time and wish to follow these enhancements.

It is way out in the middle of nowhere, on the high desert of eastern Oregon. It is probably more remote than the Reno-Fernly track. Like Reno-Fernly, it was laid down by motorcycle enthusiasts and their friends. Opened in 2008. Thin brown grass, dirt, big vistas. The green grass you see in the real-life video only occurs in spring. The rest of the year it is yellow brown, brown, and more brown.

5. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

And? What is your advice for us? Do you like to help us in making a better job? Thank you.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I would vote to show the track at its best (in the Spring), but all that matters is to pick the date and then do it according to reality. 10 months+ of the year brown, or 1 - 2 months of the year with a splash of green.

7. SRosswick

SRosswick Registered

I admit I will probably only hate the track for the first few days... :D this fits the 'template' of my favorite kind of race track. Very natural roller coaster sort of track with a balance on speed and handling... the kind of track a real racer enjoys to drive and not the utter trash Herman Tilke passes off as race tracks these days.

...and I was thinking during the ride-along that this track seems like it's literally in the middle of nowhere, thank you for clarifying Emery. Looking forward to this track (and the Palatov!)

[​IMG]

8. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

the track does look beautiful in the spring (and most of surrounding fields are crops so they are green several times a year). my vote is for the current presentation. the track is very accurate and i'm very impressed with the quality even at this beta stage. we provided the real-world elevation data and actually measured the surface cambers along the track with an inclinometer. we're already using the mod beta (along with the D4) for testing and customer practice.

i've driven many west coast tracks (laguna, sears, willow springs, thunderhill, pacific raceways, portland, the ridge and ORP). among them, ORP is my personal favorite because of how it flows and how technical it is. granted, i'm a casual track driver and not a racer, so i look at it from this perspective.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Guess what percentage of us fit that description, too ;)

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

some flowers would be nice, just to get the chance to pick some, if my wife is complaining about to much Simracing :D

11. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I live about 3- 4hrs from this place , I'm on the WA side in the PNW ..

glad to see it being possibly added in the rf2 line up!

Looks like it's off to a great start ! surface's look great in the vids ,thanks for those !

one thing to add realism for this track location/area is to have lots of RAIN ...lol or not as that part of the region is desert kind of <jk>

good work guys!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  12. Emery

Emery Registered

I wish I had the time to help! Mainly remember to keep crowds at a minimum because it's not a spectator track and the all-green grass looked out of place. I liked the touch of Mt. Hood on the west horizon, very accurate in scale. Take a look at the Google Earth pictures from past years and it will help with the color palette.

(for those wondering how remote this track is, the nearest hospital is an hour away)

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Many thanks for suggestions. We are really open to any help of any kind... descriptions, personal pictures, ideas... and also technical help in making the terrain closest to the real one (of course choosing one of the possible scenarios). We'd like to build a good track with the best compromise between the look and the physic. In the next days we'll be ready for the first round of external test and I'll link the track to the persons that want to help in the development with their precious suggestions.

Thank you.

One recommendation: please use easy terms describing the "needs" of the track.

OPS. forgot: new home page at ORP web site: http://oregonraceway.com/

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Artists will be needed the most. We can see that technically the track is already in good shape and in good hands. But making it a top track will require the track equivalent of Juergen's skins for the Palatov D4 :) Hopefully we can generate some interest for those who have talents. We have some ISI assets from "similar" topography already that could be used or repurposed--Mores and Lost Valley.

15. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Sure Marc. I used the wrong terms, "technical help in making the terrain closest to the real one". I was thinking to the action to recreate different appropriate areas of the terrain that can look like the real ones, not the 3d. Alessio already created the terrain close to the real one, wide like the real area to the mountains. I forgot "...to look like..."

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am always happy to translate :)

I wish instead I could help directly! This track is like a smaller, Western version of VIR. We need a good version of VIR for the Palatov as well!!

17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Alessio MUST NOT read the post of VIR, otherwise he will start working on it instead of going ahead with ORP. But I think and hope we already have "somebody" working on the version for rF2.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, I will be quiet. There are many tracks that would be perfect for the D4, but we will leave them all unnamed ;)

19. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Full lap at Oregon Raceway Park in the Palatov D4

20. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered