Options and Capabilities

Discussion in 'Modding' started by claytonbrown, Feb 9, 2017.

1. claytonbrown

claytonbrown Registered

Looking at setting up my own dedicated server to run a series on. Someone shared with me the .rfm rule set file, and the .json files which have a lot of setting I can adjust. I'm curious about things OUTSIDE those settings, I'm curious if anyone has tried to get the same result. If how, how did you do it, or any thoughts in general. Fully understand you may only have thoughts / insight on one or two items - anything is appreciated.

1. Limited Practice Time: We'd have a list of steam ID's, and everyone would have, say 3 hrs to practice. When you join the server (with the password) your personal clock starts. So you might do all 3 hrs on Monday night, or split it up between several days. When the clock hits zero you can still join the server and check standings and stuff, you just can't leave the pits and hit the track. We're obviously trying to create a league that's fun / competitive but nullifies the aliens that do 3 full practice races a week in preparation for a race (true story!)

2. Realistic Track Acclimatization: We're trying to create a realistic feel, where the "race" starts in practice. You want to push the car harder and harder, but are forced to keep in mind the risk of damaging the car and thus putting you behind the race in "track acclimatization".
    * Clicking ESC to return to the pits invokes a time penalty (for example 7 mins). If you click ESC you auto-return to the pits like normal, but you'll see the 7 mins of your "time bank" has been reduced. The idea is that you should drive back to pits and only use this for "towing"
    * "Time Bank" penalty for damage - for example, body work = 2 mins, suspension 10 mins.

I have 2 more things we're trying to do, which we have half solutions for. I'll post those in 2 separate threads so as not to distract.

Be creative guys!

Thanks!

Ernie likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Game can't do it, a plugin can nearly do the first and potentially could do the second but for both we need more control over when cars can drive (plus force them to stop, which would be something else to add). Bearing in mind it's very hard to stop offline practice.

3. claytonbrown

claytonbrown Registered

I guess I hadn't thought about that. Joining the server downloads the packages - right? So after the race they'd still have the packages to use for offline mode.

Do you have a recommendation on where I can read more about creating plug-ins as they relate to rfactor 2?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You just need some C++ (or, for rudimentary stuff, C with a little learning) knowledge and the example plugin code available here.

Plugins are now able to control which cars can drive in a session, off the top of my head I'm not sure if that also applies to practice (I suspect so). The problem is you can't choose at any particular moment to allow a driver or not (or kick them off the track) - there are only specific times the plugin is asked who can drive, which would make it hit and miss. You could reduce that by having relatively short sessions, but then you get back to the online vs offline problem. There are threads regarding both these topics and no solutions because the game can't do it and although there might be 'hack' ways to do it there aren't any published tools.