Option to auto save setup

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by datanode, May 30, 2014.

1. datanode

datanode Registered

An option to enable auto save setup (opt in question provided to user) when returning to pit screen.

This would provide an immediate way to get setups saved in a format named with; car name, track name, date and lap time.

Using notes for some of the above like lap time could work as well, whatever really.

Really good if it only asks if the fastest session time is faster than any other fastest saved setup time so it is less invasive (not that I think it would be and you could always override it via an option)

The complexity would be if it has to update the fastest time of the existing setup if it is the same but faster. But I wouldn't bother just save another, let the user decide!

But I would rather be given the option and have more setups and compare how they differ than what I do now using other tools.

Plus the comparison to how they are changing and improving is easier to see and recorded.

It is like how without thinking I can watch a replay, I have it already as by default it is saving everything. So the engine does have features to do this. :-(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Actually rF2 already does this... well sort of. Every time you click the race button the game saves a file called tempGarage.svm. You could write a plugin that takes this file and saves it with a name name like <carname>-<trackname>-<sessionname>-<datetime>.svm. I guess you would need to add some logic to see if the file actually changed. Otherwise you would have a ton of saved setups.

I will look into this sometime this week.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The first thing you do when you go to a new track with a new car is to save a named setup before you even do a lap.

Being forgetful should be part of a pro drivers career.

We get enough help as it is.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Drivers career or crew's career? ;P

5. datanode

datanode Registered

Hehe :) I get what you mean DD, but I find the interface a little bit of a battle. I think this is a useful feature.

It is not about being lazy or not bothering. This is one of those things as a RL driver I would write down on a setup sheet or make physical notes.

But here I am using a computer, so why wouldn't I utilise it to record that data for me. I want to focus on setting the car up and analysing the setups vs times.

Not sit there writing it all down and fighting the system :)

I am more interested in setup evolution and having more setups available.

I can think about it Noel, if there is a sensible setup flow to this. But I think when thinking it through it might be better to have more and let the user deal with it.

An option to turn it on or off or when you set a fastest lap only maybe.

You enable motec with a hot key, so presumably you can make a setup, press a hot key. That if you set the fastest lap, it saves that setup automatically. True you would possibly get several on one run. But I am sure there are ways to ensure only one file per run. As there is a hot lap replay that uses this feature?

Wish I coded in this language ;) maybe I should look into it :)

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Great ideas! All easily possible too. When I get a little time this week I will write something.

7. datanode

datanode Registered

Awesome, if I can possibly help with ideas let me know.

8. rer8

rer8 Registered

In the real world, after the mechanics have made adjustments, the mechanical setups remain relatively constant, until changed. What if, once the changes are completed and before entering the track for testing, race or just lapping, a momentary stop "invited" the driver to give the set up a name.