Optimize the graphics engine (performance) in 2023 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pilAUTO, Feb 18, 2023.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My monitor is 144hz and there are 240hz monitors now. The moment you mention Vsync, there will be a substantial number of users who will never use vsync due to the introduction of controller lag. Some users will always push their hardware to it's limits. You have found a HAPPY place and should keep it there. I'm just saying you will never convince many users that 60fps is all we need.(especially since most VR users use 90fps as an absolute worst case minimum.)

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  2. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I have random micro freezes, and it's only in rF2, I guess Windows 11 or Nvidia driver issue, I'm out until few months I will try later if it changes

3. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Yup, except as I'm not super human there is no feedback I'll receive in 1/60th of 1 second that won't take 3 times longer for my brain to respond to then twice as long to signal a response to my hands back into a wheel, in car games, unless they introduce weapons fire from a button push, not much point, other to keep everyone tensed up that they need to buy the next fastest thing. ;)

4. stonec

stonec Registered

VSync introduces additional input lag above the 1/60th of a second frame rate lag. It double or triple buffers frames to prevent tearing. This means that in reality the input lag can be 2*(1/60) = 0.033 seconds. With G-Sync or FreeSync combined with a high refresh rate monitor, you pretty much eliminate the perceivable input lag though. Somebody made a comparison in CS:GO in this video. It's true that frame rate is quite a bit less relevant in sim racing than fast-paced shooters though.

I used to simply use frame limiter in iRacing and rF2 before I got a FreeSync compatible display as frame limiter doesn't seem to add any input lag above limiting the FPS. rF2 should bring this setting to the menu and perhaps remove the "software sync" option or better explain what it does. I see that GPU sync option is removed now, which did not work correctly.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    Emery likes this.
  5. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Agree with stonec... Vsync should be avoided as much as possible... espcially now we had 'Freesync' tech for so long...

Like said above... even those who don't have a freesync display... your better off limiting your fps... both nvidia and AMD have (many) options for that... you can also use something like RivaTuner...

For gaming in general... don't forget that 1% low are far more important than average... You'll always be better off with a cap fps at 120... that give headroom for the GPU... and thus tend to improve 'stutters'...

Rfactor in particular... is a different beast since your very often limited by other factor... CPU/RAM/GameEngine/windowsLackOffOptimisation... don't think it's worth buying a 4090 for example... until we get faster CPU's...

Emery likes this.
  6. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

VERY IMPORTANT FOR U OR VSYNC USERS

I used it for years
    There is also a functionality in the software which do something similar, I think it works too.
    Really the technique work.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....lay-while-maintaining-perfect-fluidity.61352/

CeeBee likes this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I think ultra or epic settings should really push current systems and lower settings should be there for lesser hardware. Atm even all maxed settings in rF2 I see loads of pop in, shimmering puddles and flickering fences (on s397 content). I don't have any issue with current performance, always over 100fps but certainly feel settings can be increased for the max settings.
    There needs to be more scaling between settings.

8. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

the mirror resolution are awfully low, and there are so many popping texture, and in the center real mirror, the cars have flashing issue

9. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Have you tried to modify the mirror draw distance for the popping issue... and clip plane for flashing issue.
    Been a long time I didn't bother tweaking rf2... but I remember fixing some issue by tuning the config file... a long time ago...

10. Travis

Travis Registered

It would be very beneficial to have detailed explanations for each graphical setting along with the likely percentage loss of performance vs the setting either turned off or at its minimum and an in-game picture of how the graphical option will appear at the selected level.

For example, a detailed overview of how SSR renders at at low, medium, high and ultra settings, an estimate performance hit for each level vs SSR being turned off & a photo of each setting indicating what the reflections will look like at the chosen setting.

One could use Content Manager for Assetto Corsa as a guide although other games can be referenced as many also include likely vram usage.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    elgagon likes this.
  11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

new test :
    With Radical SR3XX i have 20% more FPS vs BTCC
    with night at start, last, I have 120FPS, with BTCC I have only 100

rdc.jpg

The performance are worst with each new car/track or update, I regret the old time with Sebring 2017 quality and framerate

12. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

with the radical there is virtually no interior model to display? Im not sure what we are testing here, apples with apples hopefully?

13. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

what are you talking ? in I use bonnet cam or hood cam there is the same performance difference. And if a interior uses +20% the 3D engine is very bad

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

Of course Long Beach performance will be "lower" than Sebring, it has hundreds of 3D buildings and objects.

15. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

it's a difference with cars......

16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Free sync monitor in combination with Riva Tuner is good idea ?
    or no Riva tuner not needed cause of free sync monitor ?

17. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Freesync is independant from Riva tuner, this last is just monitoring with OC

18. Kahel

Kahel Registered

I'll give you an example... that might help you decide what best for you.

Let's say someone has a 120hz monitor... he's able with his setting to run the game at 133fps with sometimes hitting 155fps... but also hitting 66fps on the lower range...

Since he only need around 120fps... plus free sync only work below the refresh rate of the monitor... this guy should put a cap at around 115fps... this way he benefit form having no tearing... and having a cap will tend to leave overhead on the hardware side... to be more reactive... and thus it might improve the lower end of the performance...

Let's take our example back... He might only get 108fps on average... make sense now it's cap... but the lower range might be 80 instead of 66fps...

Now, let's had that... it's mostly true for game that tend to maxout hardware... so might not be the case in rf2... in every situation... it still the kind of setting I would use... if only for the power draw benefit...
    And also because I value more... very consistent frametime... instead of higher average... everyone that went inside this rabbit hole... have come to same conclusion... but the overall majority of the Tech youtuber out there... don't emphasize that enough... if at all.

PS: why 115fps instead of 120fps... since the display is able to do 120hz..?.. good question... if you are interested do a Youtube search... there is some good content about that.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    delapecs and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Kahel i used to cap my fps at 72hertz using riva tuner
    my monitor is 75 freesync

20. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

there is no proof or recent Nvidia stat that Gsync and Vsync should be use together (or maybe), and there is no proof or official Nvidia stat that at 120fps with 120hz and GSYNC ON and VSYNC ON input lag is higher than at 117fps with 120hz, only opinion and user experiences, it's probably an old false myth like " the eye human can't see over 30fps".