Opinion /knowledge on 4GB GTX 960 triple screen setup

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by lukilord1, Nov 18, 2016.

1. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Hello fellow sim racers,

I am thinking about upgrading from a single full HD monitor to a triple monitor 5760x1080 setup.

My PC specs are the following :
    AMD FX 8320
    GTX 960 4GB (Palit)
    8GB RAM
    Windows 10 64-bit
    I am not sure about motherboard and stuff. If important I will have a look when back home.

I know that the graphics card is able to handle triple monitors in general.

So here is my question. Do you think that my PC could handle rFactor2 on triple monitors? I don't need the highest settings whatsoever. Medium details would be more than enough for me.
    Any help would be very much appreciated, maybe anyone got the same card or similar level card? Any information, opinion would be nice.
    Just for your information, I have no money for a new graphics card but at the same time I do have a cheap source for monitors.

Thanks in advance ;)
    Lukas

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Tho i don't have a 960 but a 970, i do think you should be good on tripple's when you turn of reflections and shadows. i have them on and running tripple's in multiview but sometimes when offline running against ai i'm not able to hold on to 60 fps.

But if i'm wellinformed once dx11 hits rF2 performance could get better.

3. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

My PC specs are similar.

i5 4570
    GTX 960 4GB (Gigabyte)
    8GB RAM
    Windows 10 64-bit

I play rFactor 2 on triple screen with good performance (with medium settings). I also play with iRacing, Automobilista and Assetto Corsa. The performance provided by rFactor 2 is as good than the other simulators, perhaps not in FPS but it is in softness.

Regards.

4. Hmatty

Hmatty Registered

make sure u check size and power supply

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Don't get your hopes up, 960 is too puny for that project IMHO, you won't be able to run proper MultiView at decent settings for sure.

Rui Santos likes this.
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

I had a 970 with triples... Now I have a 1080.

Expect you'll have to turn off AA with a 960 to get good framerates and possibly turning shadows off. With the 970, I had AA on Level 2 and shadows & reflections on Low.

7. Sucratzz

Sucratzz Registered

I have a GTX770 4GB (should be similar in power to the 960 4gb) and I run all the major sims perfectly at 5760*1080.
    I use 4xAA & 16x AF but I make sure the shadows are on medium and the reflections are on low and off for road reflections.

8. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Thanks to everyone, sorry for the rather late reply but I think I have a small overview whether I will be able to do triples or not.
    Thanks a lot.

9. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I run triples on a 960 with medium to high settings with no issues at all.

10. Georg

Georg Registered

I can`t help with triples but I can run AC on High settings and stable 90fps in VR with a GTX970.

11. floreacalin

floreacalin Registered

im on the 970 everything maxed out, 6000x1080, runs perfect. so im guessing with 960 a bit less than that? :) tho i have an i5 4690 and 20gb ram. those help a lot also. Definitely get more ram, for shure

12. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Sorry for OT but how's your performance now Emery. Was the gain worth the money invested?

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, I like the performance now, though I paid too much because I was in a hurry to get off the 970.

14. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Just to let you guys know.

I chose a rather different option in the end. I am now running two 19 inch 1280x1024 monitors on the side and my Full HD 27 inch monitor as centre. It was tons cheaper and does the job. it was a bit tricky to get everything correct, but it is looking rather good now. The performance is very good, haven't even noticed any siginificant frame drops at all, performance is almost equal to the single monitor one. I only adjusted some graphic options, shadows on low, details of everything on medium, some on high though.

Thanks for all the suggestions and stuff :)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1u7HsjMwCiKZU1oQ3F6MTU4NGM/view?usp=sharing
    [​IMG]

15. Dobbie

Dobbie Registered

Question to the guys with 960:

i´ve got an MSI 960 Gaming 4GB since a long time and at the beginning with good performance on triple screens. Last months my system went slower and slower especially after re-install of windows and rF2, low frames bad performance with lags and stuttering. But i´ve seen too, that my CPU maxed out.
    Now i´ve replaced my FX-6300 to an I8700K on an Asus Z370-E Gaming and 16GB. With that and as before the MSI960, Assetto works pretty better as before with similar grafic settings (for sure not high), but in rF2 i won´t see such an big gain of performance as in AC. Especially on new Sebring with the Studio-Endu´s it´s not good driveable, even with 50FPS it´s not smooth. Differently to that is the Nordschleife, where i see around 50FPS with 44 of same cars driven by KI and it´s good driveable.

Question now is, if you had same losses of performance with new builds and new content with your 960, or if it runs still good for you with triple screens? Maybe i did not found the right settings for rF2, because i will not accept, that AC runs so very smooth with my hardware :(
    I´ve deleted the player.json and installed the latest driver (completely new) and have set everything to low, no Multiview, posteffects on low, fullscreen, no AA because i can´t activate it!? After reinstall of drivers no further settings in nVidia or his Inspector!

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Check to see if you’re running on pcie 3.0, you can do this in your bios or with gpuz

With the lastest updates,even though there has been performance updates, the content has been more detailed along with dx11, so they are more hardware intensive.

Your cpu is top notch,but your gpu could be better, while playing press control + c, I think, that will bring up the bar that shows gpu and cpu usage,green bar is gpu and purple is cpu, if your green bar is maxed out, then either lower settings or get a stronger gpu.

I have a 4690k stock and gtx 1060 6gb, I run most tracks just fine with a mix of mid to high settings,with a few tracks I need to run mid to low setting ie Sebring

17. Dobbie

Dobbie Registered

Hi,

ok, thanks for that! Yes, PCIe 3.0 16x is used. But that with the updates the details become more weight, is an argument. Think good times for my old hardware was before latest builds. But as i said, the difference between rF2 and AC is right now very strange. That the 960 should be at the end with triple in lowest settings under rF2 is very sad. Okay, right now i diagnose it only on Sebring and should test very more older tracks, maybe the problem isn´t as big as it seems for now. But if Sebring would be standard for near future, it´s not good for medium old hardware...

18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

My suggestion would be to only test with official content,don’t use mods as they vary greatly.

Sebring has a lot of infield objects, more so than many other tracks, but as you say, if his is the quality to expect in the future, (I hope it is) my gtx 1060 6gb will need upgrading, which I don’t mind, progress requires us to update our hardware.

Regarding the comparison to ac, much more knowledgeable folks say that ac physics and tyre model aren’t as detailed as rf2s, so there’s less hardware recourses being used, but even so,rf2 is still in need of optimisation.

I think for today’s games, especially with triple screens 6gb vram gpus and 16gb ram is becoming minimum, well for the games I play anyway