Open track project Partaharju

Discussion in 'Locations' started by jtbo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have this kind of track project collecting dust, I'm not a track maker and can't really do much, but it is quite nice rally sprint kind of road that I would like to see in rF some day.

There is more details at race department thread, currently it is basically free to anyone do what they like, just need to remember that textures are from BTB Xpacks and trees are from Nokamov's (spelling?) shared textures.

Of course it is not anywhere near rF2 or even rF1 standards, actually pretty much raw GPS data with ditches and tarmac edge way I wanted it, some smoothing here and there might be needed, even road is rather rough at times, good texture work would be needed too. Partly real, partly fictional currently as making scenery to real is bit much for me.

Thanks to Spaskis and his tutorial, I got it to work in rF2, tree walls got messed up and ditch textures became very blurry, but it does work, sorry for choppy video, seem I over estimated abilities of my machine once again. Road is harsh and has lot of places to jump if going enough fast, also in reality height differences are greater than what came out from gps data, some corners are tighter etc, but I did edit road to match map so corners should be close to ok now, heights need adjusting then of course.

This is actual thread for track project.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/partaharju-public-road.38500/

If I have time, I might work on it more, but time is always bit of issue, car making and related stuff takes already lot of time, learning track making for not graphically talented is also very very time consuming.

edit: There is now repo link for anyone interested looking into track project:
    https://github.com/JTbo/FOTtracks
    There is also drivable rF2 track, but I don't think anyone should use that, it is mostly placeholder so it is easier to upload when file locations are already known.

Probably there are lot of things not working or I'm doing wrong, looking forward of fixing things as there I learn again :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

The trees have no mip maps, that's why they look like that.

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Hmm, trees, treewalls? I guess treewalls that look very weird, can't spot problems with trees ? (It is I who is confused, is normal)

Because I would like to have this as open track project where anyone can take part to, contribute and share their visions etc. I did set repository for this track, I still need to do some work to get it nicely up and usable so when I get to that, I will put up link here.

I think it is best that I put up BTB project for the track as that is kind of 'source' which from one can build track and using tutorial of Spaskis + 3d simed one can do changes to track, or then import track to max with some method I'm not familiar with.

Link to repo is here and I think I have something to learn from using repo and my tools, anyway it is now under Partaharju Branch, I might put up XPacks from folder later, those are just tad big to be uploaded with my connection, so might take quite many hours and countless retries:
    https://github.com/JTbo/FOTtracks

4. mianiak

mianiak Registered

If you look at the dds files in Windows Texture Viewer It will show you how many mip maps are saved with the dds. The 3 PL trees and pine forest have no mip maps. Infact most of the textures in that track have no mip maps and they all could be optimised quite a lot, the road signs have 7 materials being used there where it can all be put down to 1 with some uv tweaks, the ozlop has duplicated itself 7 times, the 4 evergreen trees can be put onto the one texture and the vehicle textures have a lot of wasted space, they could all be put into one single texture too which will save you another 2 materials, all up you can remove about 17 materials that are un-needed which will give you a big increase in performance.

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Ah, interesting stuff, which is almost above my head, but I just can understand.

Most of those are from XPacks that are contributions others have made for BTB community and while I can use those packs with BTB created track, I don't think that I can edit them, so all of those would need to be redone if wanted to make them proper.

That is then something to be added to task list, thanks, I did not have much of idea how those were done so this helps already bit forward :)

I think that I can create traffic signs at least relatively easily, also probably can create mipmaps too with gimp, need to test when I have time.

There are few thousand gmt objects, those trees mainly, I would imagine there being better way to create forest illusion, maybe treewall that goes bit like sawtooth in front of normal treewall and then individual trees at front of that. Must look up from the internet if I can find various ways of creating illusion of forest without the forest.

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Thats pretty similar what I have been doing with current Florida track. Plus I have 3-4 separate different height treewalls where the lowest are closest to player and then those behind it get higher. It creates good illusion of depth.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah, I think we talked sometimes about parallax scrolling, that is where I have had such idea stuck to my mind:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_scrolling

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Hmph, I can't load my track anymore, no error messages, track just don't show up. I think it did work in earlier build, but not sure.

9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

If your track is shown on rF2 venue list, then re-export all objects and generate new scn. Just make sure you have latest coreshaders and exporter installed in 3dsmax.

If it's not shown up, then you have few other possibilities. Have you edit any gdb entries? Have you renamed any folders? Track structure haven't changed between builds. Because track had worked before in dev mode, you probably have renamed/edited gdb and/or filenames (or folder names).

Cheers!

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I don't know.

I can't remember doing such, but I did such after it was not working, got rid of one error message, but nothing else. It works in single player, need to spy from that what is different then, quite odd that it does not work. Well, one day I will have more time to look this one again.