[REL] [Open Beta v0.3] Classic Cars Mod

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Petros Mak, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

787 on final approach...
    [​IMG]

...aaaaannnnnnnd touchdown :p
    [​IMG]

The car is really well done but the physics need definitely some work.

2. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

See??? And people said car's can't fly. :p

Physics is something that will be fixed thanks to some help we'll be getting. So we're looking forward to that! :)

3. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Wich build Tosch?

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Build 0.2. The car is a bit more reflective because I pimped the mat properties in devmode, but I have also good results with a brighter alpha.

5. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Sorry, i was talking about rf2, but you asume right why i ask :)

6. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Hi tjc,

As mentioned previously the sounds are 'placeholder' only until we sort a couple of things out. Comments regarding the sound are totally understandable but bear in mind they are only temporary, the community would't have been happy if the release was delayed because of it, that's why we quickly substituted another sound set in so people could enjoy checking the beta out.

The steering is an issue, and will be addressed in the next upcoming update without fail.

The physics are at a base level right now, and anyone working on tyres will tell you it's difficult and it's behaviour in-game changing with the different builds we have had in rF2 doesnt help either. This area has priority right now and people can rest assured they will not stay like that for long and improvements are being made.

The external camera is clipping issue, but I have not changed the way/range the camera works at all, this will of course be looked into.

The whole reflectivity on the car is low at the moment because quite frankly environment wise, rF2 is still not working well enough particularly in direct sunlight. Changing you entire configuration for the car when a build breaks certain elements is painful when your dealing with the environment stuff, so they are set to offer a small amount until the situation improves. At least with build 300 it looks like ISI is beginning to gain momentum on sorting the hdr/environment and optimisation.

By far the biggest problem is moddev. Currently the moddev build, despite saying build 300 is miles away from the single player build 300, and a lot of the time you put something in single player it looks and behaves nothing like it did in moddev. The fact that shaders change every build as well, both in functionality and availability doesnt help either.

Due to the way the environment works the chrome wheels look like crazy chrome lol, currently getting a happy medium chrome wise is difficult, I just dont seem to have a lot of range between chrome working or not, it's either on or off nearly, could be me.

Locking that stuff down as a result is impossible so I am playing it safe for now. A lot of the visual problems will be rectified as and when rF2 will allow us to, maturity wise.

I am glad your enjoying the car mate, it is a beta so don't be too concerned because it wont be staying that and improvements are being made.

I will also state that it has taken time for the team to re-assemble itself, for various reasons which I wont go into but I can tell you Petros and the rest of us are all going in the right direction now, pushing hard to get things done, so expect to see content and updates appearing from us more regularly.

I know it's easy to say well yeah heard it all before, but I hope people can see that for themselves by our activity mod wise these last couple of months in race07 and rF2.

Really appreciate the feedback tjc and from everyone else as well, and once everyone picks themselves up off the floor from the shock at seeing something by us in rF2, the next update will be ready lol:)

7. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Server Open

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Hey Liquid4653...

Many thanks for the detailed reply and good to hear everything that`s been brought up by the community will be addressed.

I also appreciate that rf2 is still "growing" and therefor causing problems for mod teams etc.

It`ll all come good in the end I`m sure.

Good to hear that you guys are MC are heading in the right direction now (as you put it) and that updates will be more forthcoming from you.

lol... :p :D

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

After 100 laps sebring I can say wow insane :D
    More tomorrow must sleep now.

10. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Maybe you guys could have a chat with speedster. He did some excellent FFB, tyre & physics work on the 370z rs.

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi I would prefer to read more feedback from drivers before we talk about physic changes because:
    - I think nobody of us can compare the physics with the real car.
    - This is the first hi tech "modern classic car" in rF2 with a mid engine.
    - I've done yesterday around 100 laps in sebring my best laptime was 1.52,4 and at
    the moment I think I can catch a high 1.49.
    - I'm sure the physic artist has been thinking something during the design of the
    physics :)

I had so much fun and it was a amazing experience. Yesterday rF2 showed me the huge potential it has :)
    Testtrack Sebring well "rubbered" with own made hdr profile 6:00 pm (gives me the best visual). 15 AI's (787B, CLK, Nissan GTR, and a car from a private mode) AI strenght set to 95%. With this setting (will post my setup and some screenshots in the evening) I'd done my race.

My experience:
    This car allows huge corner speed and need a individuell driving style.
    I'm not a engineer but this is plausible for me because the car has a mid engine and some special aerodynamic feature in the front of the car. (you can read about in wikipedia).
    Due this aero effect combined with the mid engine it can produce a very high downforce on the front. With the right braking technique you can enlarge the traction (due the weight transfer I think).
    The default setup was to stiff for me and had not delivered a good feeling but after some tweaking the car had shown his real potential :)
    Due the small range between the track and downplate of the car the feedback is very
    short sharp and precise but is still there as I wrote it tooks me 30 or 40 laps to notice this but after I noticed that I changed my line and braking technique and was faster and faster. Keep attention in low speed corners and with curps!
    With this technique and my tweaked setup I had no problems with the steering (some people posted about problems with steering lock and angle during cornering)

What I noticed it is almost impossible to bring the front tires over 50 degrees on the rear I had between 70 and 90 degrees.

This is my personaly report I'm a ambitious racing sim driver and have the one or other knowledge about physics but maybe I'm completly wrong with my opinion.

I would love to hear the mind and expirience from other drivers.

I would say to Petros and all artists that are involved:
    Thank you for this mod :) I'm sure we will have many times fun with this car :)

IMHO this first release is a real good set and the phsics are on the same level as the
    car looks :) Nothing more to say.

PS: About my expirience with the cockpit and insight view with multiview on and track ir I will do a seperate post.

alex

12. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

driving 1-0-1. why does this happen in low speed corners?

13. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Congratulations on reaching this milestone with the car. Have not tested yet b/c I won't be able to assess whether to add a series for this if physics are going to be overhauled. If you just expect tweaks, then I will test but otherwise I will wait. If physics person is empowered to do complete overhaul if necessary, I hope popularity of the beta does not influence him more than realism. Regardless, best wishes with this mod and your business endeavors.

14. baked bean

baked bean Registered

This really put me off this car for now, the T5 mod suffers from it too, strange behavior. Looking forward to the progress though :)

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip I`ve come across this myself. I thought at first it was just me but it does seem to happen even when I`m trying extremely hard to avoid it...

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Same here! It happened 2-3 times with me and I thought that it was me!

17. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I'm thinking I could cure it with gear ratios and better skill.

I'd like to see some bigger diff range too, if it's realistic to have that for this car?

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

edit: sorry wrong post quoted :p

was more for GTClub_wajdi or tjc

:) maybe you can see more in a motec report (for example wheel speed or spin)
    Some tweaking in the differential settings has reduced it (for me).

Come on guys beat my 1.52,4 in Sebring and report your experience with the physics.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
  19. chrisdelta

chrisdelta Registered

20. After_Midnight

After_Midnight Registered

Have many problems with this car. First of all is the forcefeedback. I feel nothing in the corners. Only on the two straights. But there`s to much. And can`t find a good setting for this car. 1.57.xxx in Sebring.