Online Racing Conduct

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegaguy5555, Jul 23, 2017.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Hi guys!

Thank you all for the great welcoming response to my thread 'Online Racing'. I hope we continue to get updates on what's going on for races. Very sorry for not showing up for any races yet, like I said on the other thread I've started midnight/shuffle hours soon after I posted online racing.
    There were days I didn't touch my computer and when I did I couldn't do anything right and was thinking something was wrong with rF2 but Pcars and AC were the same.
    Did some practice AI races yesterday and my attitude was still not that good. I could drive better but it felt like the AI were out to get me which is just silly. I guess one good nights sleep is not enough!

This got me thinking about what is expected of me when on the track with you guys. As much as I like bumps in the corners because I believe rubbing is racing. What is too much. I had a zero tolerance when sleep deprived I've discovered but how about you guys? Is this something that is discussed before hand? Is there a 'anything goes' type of races? Which sounds kind of interesting to try or even watch if everyone is on the same frame of mind that is.
    I know even in VR it's hard to see side to side when you're concentrating on a corner. Now that I think of it I think I have more peripheral vision with my triple screens then I do with the CV1 Oculus.

Are the races labelled. What should I expect? Is there policing? I suppose vegaguy is a "A" hole threads would pop up here so I guess there is policing of a sorts!:p

Thanks again guys! Look forward to doing some laps soon!!:)

2. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

i race mainly open wheelers and at first i blamed everyone for my mistakes (and theirs obviously) sometimes i wasnt very nice in my comments towards others when discussing incidents. as ive got more experience and got older i take things with a pinch of salt, im much more mellowed in my approach and understand accidents will happen. ive only once come across someone that did mean to cause an incident in the whole time ive been sim racing (11 years now) and the other times it has either been completely accidental or just some poor driving or choice making.

in open wheelers i think nobody sets out to rub or cause incidents as its going to most likely ruin their own race and car so its a definate no no, but like i said accidents do happen, its how you deal with it after is what defines us as racers.

sometimes you can be angry, sometimes frustrated, some times completley disenchanted by sim racing but as long as you get it into your brain that nobody means to cause such an incident that it puts fellow racers out of a race then you'll be fine.

p.s i dont mean public servers obviously, where you do get some that are intent on wrecking, but in league racing or racing between friends it should be alot diffrent :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I can only imagine real racing when it's not just the car getting wrecked.
    I'm sure I would be going quit a bit slower!
    Of course there is so much more detail in real life. Even with vr we are still faily blind.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Something to keep in mind when online racing is the 0.1-0.2 second lag of the internet, so leave extra room in the braking zone if you're tailing someone.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In touring and gt cars which is what we race in our league, side contacts and small bumps in braking occur frequently. However, most of us have been racing together for several years and we know each other perfectly. You need to know what to expect from the other driver before trying to pass him. Study your rival and try to show him you respect his spot. When someone feels pushed too hard he usually reacts in a more aggressive way.

vegaguy5555, David Kolody and bwana like this.
  6. bwana

bwana Registered

Night rotating shifter here as well and if l can squeeze a race in l find it hard to concentrate and keep consistent lap times ,in those races if a get knocked around my enthusiasm quickly wanes and bed becomes a priority unfortunately .. Any sort of racing that sees guys not redressing after gaining spots after contact has me exiting as quick as possible . Those days in rf1. On the Bros server in the meganes where entertaing but also taught many that etiqutte didn't matter. Not a good thing for serious sim racing