Online Public Racing in a Nutshell.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deathofmarat, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

+1

I wish there was a North/South Ameriican old F1 league.

2. Miro

Miro Registered

Honestly, I am getting desperate.

I am trying hard the last few days to find a pub serve to turn laps on and I fail. I fail hard.
    I had maybe quick 3-4 races on the "fun2race" servers with Megans and Skippies. This server is set up propperly with 10 min Q and 10 lap races, real road and a nice time of the day. But the server changes very often the combo and I am only lucky when I see it being up. Sometimes the server is not there. However it is not about that server it is about pub racing generally.

I am well aware that there have been dozens of disscussions about the topic. I am well aware that people have done a lot to improve it with plugins and tools and what not. But nothing seems to help. I have set up a server myself where a few of my racing buddies joined. We were 4 or 5 people and nobody else never joined. Camaro @ Mills, Meganne @ Portugal etc. Drivable combos until a friend of mine told me it shows 0 player on the rf2 matchmaker bc we are joining from steam.

The ISI servers are awfull for europeans, they perform badly and have tons of lag and warping and the combos on them are just not somehting people play at all. They are as they are now useless.

From my experience the last few days and from what I have heard people want to have some pub racing desperately and are trying just as I am but there seems to be no way to get some propper racing together. rF2 cars for the most part are simply not very suited for jump in and drive situations as they need tweaking and setups and what not. They are simply hard to drive for most people. But there are cars like the Megane or the Clio which are easy to race and have fun with and most folks can keep it on track with those cars even on a green track. But ther is no server, nothing organised , nothing well known to be running wihtout any hassle to get online. If there would be such servers I bet they would get stormed every evening.
    You don't even need to change the combo for months just keep it running. Meganne with the race event from steam (official conntent) 10 min Q 7 lap race for exapmle and leave it on.

Not blaming anybody here for anything but just wanted to get this of my chest.

If ISI is not able to provide propper setup servers with propper pub racing combos maybe people interessted in it can get together to start something.
    I am well aware of the problems that can pop up and what is going on that most people think sucks in rf2 online and am not interessted to chew over this again. I'd just like to get something together, that's all. Dunno maybe I just got fed up with it today. It's just nuts.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

sarcastic bs

lol ;)

It is typical, you get people come to my room but have no gonads to say anything.

It is like a driver asked me " wtf why is the race rs !! :mad: "

Mind you this is some rookie blow in after 4 years of training.

My answer " because I can .....any obs ? :D"

sheesh lol

400 rooms they still find a way to whine.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You're replying to someone who posted that 2 and a half years ago. someone necro'd this thread big time.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

DD's Logic behind F3-Rookies

I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do and if anyone can give me a better formula for training historic rookies here is your chance........

Speak now, rather then off handed comments in my room before you quickly disappear and offer no right of reply.

lol

1. I was not interested in modern cars what so ever.

2. I was not interested in huge combos of cars and tracks.

3. CONTENT: I wanted base ISI content so there was no hassle for newcomers to join.

4. CAR: I wanted a single training car and after testing everything available it quickly become apparent to me
    for what I wanted the F3 Eve was the most alive, driveable and neutral feeling you could have.

5. ROAD:, I saw no value to letting rookies slide around a green track.

I knew then from my location and bandwidth my rooms would be small in fact I think I have closest to the smallest room on the server.

So with a small room you do not get the rubberizing done quick enough and increasing the wear will just give a slightly different feel every lap.

I start with Good rubber so rookies can lift in turns without under steering into nirvana at every turn and make the wear rate 0.2x
    That way the rubber stays constant,

No of course this is not the best for a pro race obviously, I do understand that, you all know that right. lol

6. DAMAGE: what person in their right minds wants to run damage training rookies

It is fine for all the other people lapping but what about me ?
    Returning to pits 4/5 times a lap for a rookie to replace the front suspension and then wait to crash at Les Combe again. No thanks.

I would have ESC key on speed dial. lol

Damage would just make them too cautious and they won't explore closer to limits.

7. AIDS:
    Only aids I wanted was to facilitate "no wheel" newcomers
    Auto Gears and Clutch
    Blip and Lift enforced.

BLACK ONLY: This gives the opportunity to go forward or back anywhere in pack I like and tow rookies along for miles. You keep them just in and out of tow without incurring a penalty.

8. TYRES & FUEL: I mostly run 1x but have been known on many occasions to run up to 7x and force pit stops.

Actually for a rookie a F3 with a full tank is probably more stable just harder to lap faster esp with 7x tyres.

9. PLAYING: One of the best things you can do is make people understand rF2 physics take them off road exploring Belgium. ;)

I like a dollar for every rookie I taken up on train track and we sat with mouse view and watched a few minutes of cars lapping in the distance and they went...... " wow" :)

10. WEATHER: Big no for rookies and a car has no rain tyres, they can do that offline.
    When F3s are updated and rain affects improved I will train wet sessions with bells on.

11. Ai : Last few weeks I been running Ai for trials see how they improved and starting rookies at back and trying to catch the tow.

You be surprised it was the slower drivers ended up finishing races on the whole and the Pros crashed out.
    blaming the ai as they did.

If you do enough laps with them at the track in question you get to know their every eccentricity and just adjust accordingly ?

So please lets not have Pros blaming the Ai.......... it is embarrassing. lol ;)

12. RACE RESTARTS: I will do as many as needed till people can get around a SINGLE lap together !@! lool
    ( this usually starts to sink into their heads after about 5 trys .........hehehe it works )

==================

For over 6 months I ran a fixed setup F3 Eve- Belgium only room, used to have 8 max drivers ( slower con then ) in every day

The lap times over 300+ drivers I listed where spot on consistent and I could tell at a glance who was improving or needed more help.

The racing was probably the best it ever was too.

I think if anyone can put as much thought into a certain format they not not deserve to be lectured what is better..........

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sometimes Jamie I reply to a person, like now, others it is general info to any newcomer may pick up on it.

Like I said if you do not agree with me or want to bag my room settings, feel free. :)

No skin off my nose I can assure you mate ;)

P.S. If anyone likes and takes a single idea from my post to implement in their " Public " room makes me happy.

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  7. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

I'm coming across a lot of servers that have very little action. Usually the same group of people that literally burn their front tires to beat the clock in a 2 hour practice session. I mentioned how about starting a race since everyone has similar times, etc. and I got hounded for it? Went to another server and the same thing, except I didn't say anything, I just called for a vote, but not enough people voted.

I really would like to see a bit more action in online racing, but it seems some folks just want to run laps by themselves and not be bothered. Why not just stay off-line then? You can practice off-line you know.

Even a 2 hour practice session could have some fun if people would go at it for a couple of laps but most don't want anyone near them. I really get annoyed having to register to multiple forums, leagues, etc. Even the leagues can get boring. One race a week is too little. Why not have races everyday? I left a league because it was always practice sessions with no friendly racing.

I attend track days in real life and the guys on the track will even go at it for a part of the day.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I agree when so many 1-2 cars rooms

Like I said my specific aim is to help train rookies so I don't care if there are only 2.

With 400 rooms to choose from yet people come in and still question and complain about my settings and method, after 4 years ? lol Need to get a life.

All I am saying.

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Here's online racing in a nutshell:

- People only drive fastest car
    - Terrible arbitrary realistic combos vs superior fictional combos for sim racing
    - Small grids
    - No one uses clutch
    - Unrealistic setups
    - Meaningless without global ranking
    - People either don't practice or practice 40 hours per week
    - Everyone gone by the time you download 15 tracks and 5 cars for one race

I could go on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You will find most of those people are probably practicing for a league or something. I come across that very often and it's unfortunate, but it's their mentality, nothing can be done about it.

11. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

I know! It's so frustrating. They really are ruining the online experience. What is their problem. Less and less I venture online because of them, yet I'm getting bored racing the AI all the time. :(

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You'll find me a lot in PhoenixRacingClub.net's Indycar server. I'll gladly drop whatever testing for a fun race :D.

(ps: GetMod works)

13. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

rF2 Asia Hourly Race
    Server is 24/7

http://rf2asia.liveracers.com/Live?server=rF2 Asia STEAM

Join our STEAM group
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rF2Asia

14. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

I totally agree with DD. I was Tuesday on his F3 server. I very good the lern online racing. Its just a pity, that only a few people use this opportunity.

The only thing I disagree is the track / car combo. F3 in Monza 1966 or Spa 1966 is not ok. Its a little bit boring driving these long straights with the "slow little F3". I prefer F3 at Lime, Mills inner loop.

Public server are in general not bad. Its just hard to find a good combo. A lot of servers are password protected or using a different
    rf2 version or some mods which I dont have. Getmod works not very often.

My current personal number one car/track combo is: Toyota Celica GTO at Spa 1966: Thats pure racing and if you start the race at 6:30 PM is just beautiful.

+1 for an update of the F2 and F3 rf2 cars. Come on Tim W. you promised that

15. stonec

stonec Registered

There are the occasional nicely set up servers and servers with admins, the problem is that they get lost in the mass of "bad" servers, making random pickup racing online mostly a bad experience. It's still a mystery to me, as it was in day one, why ISI doesn't develop the online matchmaker interface further. The interface of rF1 was better: you could favourite servers, chat with other people, filter by ping, etc. It makes no sense that the free interface of rF1 is better than the one you have to pay yearly for in rF2.

16. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

Agree. Some kind of filter would be helpful. At least filter out different server version.

Look at:
    http://servers.proracing.club/