Online player count

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by green serpent, Dec 27, 2016.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I'm sure this has been said before, but as I'm new to the online experience I thought I'd mention it.

I'm getting a bit tired of looking for a server that has players, then entering the server and downloading the mods, only to find it's populated with AI and no actual people. I've done this at least half a dozen times in the past few days, and it's kind of ruining the experience for me.

Is there any way I can know if there are any actual players in the server before joining it?

2. bwana

bwana Registered

Agreed and has been bought up .. just hopped on 30 mins ago and wasted 20 mins joining dud servers.. kind of why l tried studio 397 but having issues my end l think with rfmod

3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

When I've entered a server with real people it's been absolutely awesome. I'm disappointing that theirs not too many people on, I can't really comprehend why. I don't really care if it's just one or two people, I'd prefer that then jumping into servers with only A.I.

Also one other thing, it's a pain how only the track comes up in the description and not the car.

Guimengo and Ho3n3r like this.
  4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah this sounds like it should be fixed if you cant differ between AI and people. Same with AC before where you didnt know if it was pre-booked (empty) cars or people, but Kunos fixed it by having real people on the servers show a different color to booked empty cars. Maybe they could do the same for rF2.

Many or most into simracing are adults with less time than kids so its always nice if you can cut time down fiddling. :)

5. Georg

Georg Registered

I`m pretty sure all those points will get fixed with the next update in Q1 2017 when we get the new UI and that stuff.

6. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Good point. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the online component.

7. bwana

bwana Registered

That's (AI)only known once you have entered the server though, in my time zone , zero in 397 servers..

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Server content descriptions vary , a good server includes cars and track but many don't show both or abbreviations which are not descriptive enough

9. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Yeah, but the point is that you only see that AFTER being able to join the server, which is the actual problem.

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

IMO AI should never count as a driver for matchmaker purpose. Someone looking at that column is clearly looking for real people.

If someone wants to race against AI, he would use single player mode which assures the required content is installed.

It would seem some leagues are using AI to attract people taking advantage from this misfunctionality.

In order to improve online activity, the old known problems need to be addressed:

- no information about the vehicle or tracks other that the being used one where there could be others in the vmod.
    - no filtering for servers where you can directly enter (unpassworded and where content is installed or downloadable)
    - downloading system is not working for cases where the mod is updating some of the components which is quite typical in leagues.
    - downloading system seems to fail under some server configurations (one day it works, the next it doesn't with no apparent reason)

Trying to improve online numbers only by providing free online access and not accounting the real problems is not the way. Quality vs quantity.

monsterZERO and bwana like this.
  11. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Facepalm. If you think this is the best way for the game to be, good for you - but it isn't.

monsterZERO likes this.