Online Mode Improvements Suggetions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ebeninca, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

This suggestions don't depends of big implementations (in my point of view), or the existence of studio397 servers, just simple things that can help a lot on online mode gameplay:

* More possibilities of control on the rfactor2 server side:
    - Voice chat support, a very good thing to communicate when you don't have teamspeak or something similar (like race2play).
    - Keep driver laps register visible to everyone after he leaves the server, facilitating replay view.
    - Native option for the admin to do a grid inversion based on last race result.
    - Native option for the admin to set the climate based on wunderground or another weather site of choice.

* Better support for Team Racing
    - Support for 240+ people on the server, with the objective of making possible to spot the team mates during races or do a emergency driver swap.
    - Possibility of the server admin to register and maintain drivers and teams for the event. The data could be stored in a file on the server. The objective is for the server automatically identifies for which team the driver belongs, separating the voice chat and driver swap by team, and denying unregistered drivers entrance, etc.
    - A more easy and reliable driver swap mode (eliminating the spectator mode thing), where the driver press ESC in the pits, and the server automatically liberates de button "RACE" for the team mates.

* Tow implementation:
    - Simulation of tow when a driver exits the race using ESC key outside the pits or connection lost cases. Making it possible to continue the race later.

Not really online mode related (Bonus):

* Incorporation of some useful plugins, with the goal of they will never stop work when rf2 updates are realeased.
    - Motec (A must have to be a decent driver)
    - PedalOverlay (useful for know the ffb saturation, this plugin just don't work when you enter on spectate mode do to driver swap)
    - Spotter (essential when you don't have triple screen, automobilista has this native)
    - DeltaBest (useful to know if you are in good shape =))

* A real windscreen, where the rain/smoke really make dificult to see the track.

*** EDIT ***
    @Tim Wheatley , I saw that quickly the topic has gained new suggestions and discussions about what may be relevant to the future of rF2, I think it would be nice if you create a sticky topic to aggregate the most requested improvements that are possible to be implemented.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Motec support will never be part of the game, for licensing reasons.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

No point "reinventing the wheel" when there are programs, as you mentioned, that do a more than adequate job for voicechat.

Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Skype, Discord.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Isn't already possible to rejoin the race?

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Wow, how did anyone ever simrace before spotters or triple screens?

Seriously, though, if implemented this needs an obvious disable/enable that can be overridden at the server as not all series have spotters (nor should they if you're racing historic). The radar thingie and virtual mirrors already provide ways to see around you, so I would hardly call a spotter "essential"... not to mention hardware solutions like TrackIR and VR!

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

In modern racing a spotter IS essential!
    And most driven cars are modern. So....

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Ingame support for 2-race system with reverse grid rules would be nice

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Every real life race format should be in a ingame system. 3 race like V8SC where one of them is longer, mid race FCY (positions logged and points given) and race restart like Brazlian Formula Truck, pit stop window, etc.

9. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

Rf2 could be the best sim for endurance (best feature all sim) with an online "clé en main" like Iracing

-More easy for single racer
    -More easy for team
    -Very attractive for new players!
    -Global server and event management!!
    -Appearance of serious competition

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I would say a Race Engineer over Radio in modern racing is essential, a Spotter is only essential for Oval Racing. Personally I dislike Spotters in Road Racing full stop, one reason being it takes the skill of awareness away from the driver as they're not concentrating enough on what's around them. They don't have them in BTCC or Virgin Australia Supercars I know that much, other series may (DTM? WTCC? Endurance?)

Now if we're talking Racing Sims then it's a different story, sure we've survived for years without Spotters or On-screen "Aids" but the reality is people with Single screens have a tough time seeing everything around them. That's where a Spotter could come in handy for Road Racing as it's an extra aid that can prove helpful to maintain clean racing (to a degree).
    Even with VR your peripheral vision is limited by the device, I've found I have to turn my neck a lot more than I do in real life when driving, even to look at wing mirrors or simply out the side windows, so you could argue a Spotter could still prove useful in this regard.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

To me spotters can make online racing a lot more clean, that's all I care, I don't need it but way too many people should use it.
    If want a server option to turn this stuff off may as well force no HUD, no virtual mirrors, no different FFB levels and so many other things.

David Kolody likes this.
  12. Emery

Emery Registered

No, the DRIVER makes online racing clean. DRIVERS already ignore what is in their virtual mirrors, radar-thingies, the flashing flags, and often can't/won't hold their line.

Yes, a spotter will add immersion and might help, but until DRIVERS do their part, it's not a necessity. Race engineer would be cool.

Guimengo likes this.
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I had plenty of proper clean racing without Spotters so it is possible but you are right, the real essential fact is it's all down to the Drivers.

I've longed for a proper decent Race Engineer, ISI were working on one but it never materialised unfortunately.

14. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

As a community admin i can't agree more. About this could be nice to have an easy and fast way to change the chat/flags positions.

About online improvements i would like to have the possibility to force pit-stops, set ballast, force tyres compounds, penalities for cutting the pitlane line when exit it, all in the Dedi-tool UI.

15. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Is possible. I think there is no limit. But it depends on the server ISP, server machine, server admin, league, ...

Was possible +/- before. (Can't remember what build)
    ESC, leave the server, rejoin (with fresh car or with damage = server setting). So the time to rejoin and laps lost was tow time

But Marcel told me "Rejoin after an ESC" was considered a bug by ISI. I think it was requested by the VEC? (not sure)

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I don't disagree with you, but it does help, some people are just clueless as you said yourself, one more thing for them to maybe pay attention is always a good new chance of them getting better ;)
    I also had great clean races without spotter, it didn't exist in GTR2 and I raced online there for a long time.

17. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Guys, i really appreciate the criticism, i would like to keep updating this topic, refinning the suggestions, but i have no time. rf2 have so much to be polish, so i edited the post requesting Tim to keep a topic fixed for this. It would be nice if studio397 did this job.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You'll want the Wish List forum then, sub forum of this one :)

19. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

wow, this is almost hidden, if you don't tell me i would never know. But my intension is more than a wish list, is to studio397 select and organize the things that they really could do for the simulator.

MarcG likes this.