Old but new again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Smith, May 9, 2020.

1. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith Registered

Hello gents,
    I haven't played any sim racing in a long while. Like I stopped around the time RF2 started on steam was the last time I played any sim. Of course I haven't had a steering will either for a long time. Also include I have been playing other games mostly War Thunder and other war games so I'm getting the bug to drive again.
    I have re-installed RF2 and was wondering where does steam put the game mods at? I was trying to see if steam put mods I had subscribed to from the past on my PC or not.
    I also need a new wheel. But I don't want to kill the bank account and what would be a good mid priced wheel for right now. Any suggestions?

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

To see what you have subscribed to, go the rFactor 2 page in your Steam Library and select Workshop, then steps 1 & 2 in the picture.
    wshop.png

Have a look in here if you have subscribed content.....\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960
    If there are folders in the 365960 folder than they will get installed.
    Just unsubscribe from content you don't want.

3. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

You can have a wheel that is 200 euro's, you can have a wheel which costs 2000 euro's. What is your budget?

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Steam only provides what is considered default cars and tracks. If you had mods, they may still be in your rF2 folder but Steam may not recognize them. Also, rF2 has undergone a large dx11 update so much of your older content may, may, be overly bright. If the mod maker has uploaded his mod to Steam, then you can grab it again via Steam. Pay close attention to version numbers, Old versions of carskins or tracks won't be compatible with newer versions. You might see error messages similar to looking for v1.40 unknown mod due to the mod or DLC being updated past v1.40 and no longer recognized. Once you get everything sorted out, rF2 will behave pretty much the same as before.

5. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith Registered

It's a complete re-install as the pc has been re-built sense that time long ago so it's not on the hard drive.

6. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith Registered

If there is a recent update to a mod will it say so if I click on it or will it be a separate mod all together?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Anything you had subscribed to then (and still exists on the workshop) will download again and you'll have it. But as above, if anything hasn't been updated since 2016 it won't look great in dx11 so your results may vary.

8. vitto

vitto Registered

if you don't want to spend a lot, at the beginning a good steering wheel could be a thrustmaster t300 or a thrustmasterTX, forget the logitechs, they are weak both as ffb force and as mechanical structure, they have an exaggerated center vacuum

9. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

The Thrustmaster TMX and the T150 are good options if you do not want to spend too much money on a steering wheel. Both are available for around 200 €.
    I myself have been using the T150 for some time and so far I am very satisfied.
    By the way: If you download mods outside of Steam, they will go into the rFfactor2 packages folder. But you have to install them manually.

10. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith Registered

Well, finally got around to getting a Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel. But, it will not get to til June 5. At least shipping was free.

11. vitto

vitto Registered

which model did you choose exactly?

12. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith Registered

Don't order stuff from states that are shut down...............