Okay, we're not asking for a release date again but can you tell us this...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PRLamers, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Slothman

Slothman Registered

OOOrrrrr...we could find out who the Closed Testers are......and lynch them :)

Hehehe.

Of course most of them are probably those working on it, whcih kind of defeats the purpose...LOL

I am still confident of 2011 BETA......until of course Jan 1st...than I lose all confidence :)

2. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

It is kind of starting to feel like DOOM3...what I have learned from my 20+ years in software development is that technology changes so fast in this industry that if you don't ship something within 6-12 months then by the time you do deploy something it is old and behind the times. It is very important to set a target date and stick to it - it just builds trust and confidence.

3. schuee

schuee Registered

F: It will be out when ready
    So in the meantime,play some more rFactor,iRacing,Project C.A.R.S,Live For Speed,Racer,NetKarPro,or just do the lawn mowing or gardening.

4. PvtStash

PvtStash Registered

Maybe some knitting or needle point? It will be ready when it's ready, as far as I know ISI have never worked to " target dates " and probably never will. Makes sense to me as then there is no why isn't it here problems when said date comes and goes. ;)

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's interesting that people interpret "no specific date" as "we don't want to tell you" rather than "we really don't know". And I do mean just that - interesting. It shows how much people are hanging out for it, which can't be bad :)

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Or they are just not reading things as they are written. But yes, great to see so many people here already before the open beta. :)

7. 88mphTim

If you've been in software development, you're probably aware of the fact that the technology doesn't stay the same after first developed though, and is infact updated and usually completely up-to-date by the time it's finally released. I've seen that with every dev I've tested or worked for, maybe I just got lucky...

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I completely agree with you. There are of course areas advancing slower than other. I think highest progress is noticed in gfx engines. Slowest ones in sound programming I think

iRacing is still not up-to-date regarding for example gfx-engine. But it must be an exception proving the rule ;) But to be honest I have mixed feelings which way is correct and for who. Constant developing until some subjective (and still changing) goal is reached, or releasing something done at point and after that working on further updates or even next products. It is hard to judge, because both way may... fail the same way. yes, ironically. Usually both products will be more or less successful. We may only watch it from the side and looking forward for results.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  9. 88mphTim

Good response. :) Thanks.

Just to give an example, Spa is - I believe - on it's 6th or 7th version. This is why WIPs aren't representative of end products usually. I've tested for 12 devs (back when testing was pretty hard to get into), and worked in some form for 3. Only the gaming products seemed to update their content during the development to keep up with tech, but you only have to look at how Microsoft changed Vista between the 'Longhorn' stage and it's eventual release to see how different it became.

10. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

...or maybe I just have been unlucky :) I don't disagree with you Tim all I am saying from my experience is that eventually people give up or turn away from playing the waiting game. Personally I have been waiting in anticipation since rF2 was announced, followed every single headline at the time that mentioned it, but over time I have started to ignore the headlines even if it was mentioning a release date , basically just skipping over it. That is why I compared it with DOOM3 because it took so many years to complete and the expectations was so great but when they finally delivered it was kind of a disappointment for many...I sure hope that rF2 is going to be different.

I do not often respond in forums and this is not an attack on you guys..just plainly voicing my concerns...hope you understand.

11. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Are you kidding? It was a great game.
    From the graphics point of view there was no contention, only HL2 later could be comparable.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

To compare rF2 with Doom3 is somewhat like... ridiculous- was is a joke?
    This simulation that we are talking about is a little bit more complex than this shooter!!!!!
    So it will take more time. And I can´t understand why people are pushing and whining about late release date.
    Do you want an unready product? Did you read at least a few threads in here and posts that Tim and other ISI-people
    sent?? I assume not, otherwise you would understand how many single subjects for this awaiting program has to be
    discussed- and well be considered and finally implemented.
    Nothing will be out of date at the release date or even years later I guess!
    With actual and forthcoming games we enter (slowly) but surely the stage of photorealistic graphics, if thats the
    thing that is most important for you and rF2 will be no exception I think.
    So what do you want more???? If you can´t wait, take BF3 and mod a racecar in there!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

--- agitate modus off -----

13. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

and whats now with the beta? what say the closed beta testers? on what are you working now?

14. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

I do not think the ISI is ever happy the dialogue on "Release 2011" have taken on and it does not matter whether beta or full game. For me it is a fact that you are with such topics as here, far away from an open beta, for otherwise we can throw even the hungry people a few bones with better videos - for example over the course of a pit stop or a start-up procedure of a race.
    Instead, you feed the community with payment testing and images from Monaco and hopes to continue that one takes pleasure it page by page and homage.
    One can only hope that you learn at ISI of it - sorry Tim, but to no one envies you your job - so good you do it too.

15. cammel

cammel Registered

Well since Thursday is a holiday in the U.S., I would not look for it this week.

16. frankwer

frankwer Registered

rF2 beta = Xmas gift.

17. 88mphTim

The current status is closed beta. When it's open beta you will be able to buy it as an open beta version. There are a number of things which MUST be in place for the open beta to happen, and that's what is being worked towards and tested. :)

18. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

We can help you ;)

19. 88mphTim

Indeed. :) If Gjon (or anyone from ISI) asks for further assistance please do. :)

20. Martin Keets

Martin Keets Registered

I think we are close now, especially as they are looking at test purchases.
    Crossing the T's and dotting the I's as it were.
    If the beta is only as good as rF1 with some of the new features I will be a happy customer. Can't wait to part with my money.