OK windows10 gurus. Help fix my update problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by davehenrie, Jul 24, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

A year or two back, Microsoft began releasing Creator's content patches to win10. For some reason these updates played havoc with the way rF2 read USB ports. So that after the update, many users(myself included) found our wheels and pedals were not being detected by windows10 and thus not by rF2.
    The fixes included downloading and installing new drivers for your motherboard, usb ports etc. AND there was at least one thread detailing how to prevent windows from updating again. I followed one of those threads and ran the utility to block win updates. BUT NOW....Windows again wants to update, it downloads the update, installs the update, at about 98% complete is says it cannot complete the update and will revert back to the previous version. This include at least 2 system reboots. The entire process takes about 20 minutes to verify the downloaded update, the attempt the install the update and the removal of the update.
    Everything works correctly after this process EXCEPT win10 keeps trying to complete the process. Every other day it cranks up the entire process again. I even used win10 settings to delay the last attempt for a week and it still popped off just now when I attempted to boot my system.
    So my question is: Is there a way to stop win10 from attempting this failed update 3 or 4 times a week?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think your best option is to actually update. Do you get an error message when the update fails?

2nd option, if you've had your windows going for 2+ years, is to do a clean reinstall of it. Obviously that involves a fair amount of backing up depending on your programs, exporting settings/data etc, but if you purchase a new drive at the same time you can at least spare yourself the extra hassle of sorting and backing up your personal files. At least until after the install. If ever. :p

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

1st question, yes the update occurs whether I want it to or not. The error message only comes after 100% of the download and 92% of the update is completed. Followed by rolling everything back which takes just as long. Today windows will leave me alone. Tomorrow, it will try again.

4. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

Have you got plenty of free disk space on your windows drive? the updates need to download a lot of stuff and will fail if here is insufficient space (although in good old windows style, it probably won't tell you this) - it also leaves behind some huge files after an update which can be got rid of.

Maybe one (or more) of your Win10 files are corrupted...
    you can try Verifying the Win10 Files with the system file checker - sfc /scannow - in command prompt.
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I ran the scannow command and it stopped at 20% saying it could not complete the requested operation(done under admin privledges)
    The hard drive is about 1/2 full. a terrabyte drive I think.

6. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

In Control Panel under Troubleshooting there is a backup command on the l/h side. Below this there is a recovery command with an option to reset the PC and reinstall Windows*. It says there are options to keep your personal files.
    *i have never tried this so don't know what happens once you press the "Get Started" button.

might be worth doing a Disk Cleanup & defragging the HD first..

or call the experts - http://www.247techies.co.uk/Microso...NIlTeg56vnqSyluewdDZUCUEg5HZLUHhoCGxcQAvD_BwE

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I used a different option, the verifyonly and that completed the full scan, it logged a bunch of errors. Mostly they were joint ownership of a System32 folder. Which adds to the confusion since my version of windows is x64bit. The log would print out to be several dozen pages by the look of it. I then went back to the scannow to see if the verify log would override the scannow errors. Nope. Stopped at 20%, just like before. Sounds like a re-install will be my best option. (thanks for the location of that Steve)

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

System32 is still used in x64. But it sounds like your windows does have issues, so export/backup whatever you need, grab a fresh install package from MS (which will be the latest version, so no updates needed) and start again. It's often the easier option than fixing an existing install. The data backup (anything embedded in programs, registry, etc) is usually the worst part.