Oh, the fun with AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Max Dralle, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Hi all.

Unfortunately, I'm just too busy for driving rF2 on a regular basis, so whenever I find some time, I usually setup a local LAN server, join it, choose my car, leave the pit and watch "my" AI for a couple of rounds, so that I can easier recall the venues and their respective driving lines, braking points etc. before taking over the driving wheel for myself.

So yesterday, I packaged an updated big mixed Gran Tourismo field, using S397s GT3 pack, their updated GTx cars (Nissan GT500/GTR, Corvette GT2, Camaro GT3 etc. formerly released by ISI), EnduRacers' Endurance Series, Apex' GT3 and Simtek's GT3 World Series.
    AI's strength was set to 90% and its aggression to 50%, amount of AI was 15 (resulting in a 16 cars field). Visible cars was set to 20.
    I have the real-time scaling factor always set 20x, so that I have a fair chance to experience a day/night/day circle, even though my free time is so limited.

I for myself chose the Callaway Vette (awesome car, btw.), left the pit and enabled the AI driver.

In my track rotation, the first entry was VLM's Sebring.
    Apparently, all AIs are doing quite well on this track and here is where the real fun started.

So, I watched "my" Vette doing some rounds and was blown away by it's intense driving style and speed.
    The courageous moves when overtaking just before a turn and its reactions when trying to recover from sudden over-/understeer were so spectacular to watch, that it sponaneously made me burst out in laughter and let me virtually doff my (non existing) hat for quite a few times.
    At one point, it even hit the inner curbs a bit too hard and came out of the curve on only two wheels, but recovered from that quite impressively as well and kept pushing, like there's no tomorrow.

Moreover, watching any AI from that field was very entertaining to observe, but the driving style of "my" Callaway was really unexpected and joyfull.

So ... if you never took the time to watch the AI "doing their job", I can really recommend doing so.
    At least in the GT version that I combined, it worked out exceptionally well.

The visuals from DX11 and those updated MODs were extaordinarily pleasant to watch.
    Especially at night with those new Endurance Lights, it was pure eye candy !

Who needs TV broadcasts, when there's rF2 ?

:D

Lastly, my PC's performance (see sig for details) was almost constantly nailed on 60fps, using "VSync Video" and tripple buffering. Only on some occasions, when I switch to the tracks side cams for having another look at some instant replays, it showed some drops below 60.
    In cockpit view, my GPU usage was hovering around 50-60% and CPU usage was always somewhere between 8-20% (both read out via MSI Afterburner's OSD).

Cheers!
    Max

buddhatree likes this.
  2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Interesting test and report !
    Do you remember which GT3 mod was faster and if possible in which order ?

3. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Sorry, I didn't have a closer look at the gaps other than the slowest was about 5-6 seconds behind me, while the 2nd fastest AI was about 2 seconds slower.

I guess the 2 seconds gap to place #2 comes from my own AI not running at 90%, but at 100% instead.

If I find some time, I'll have another look and will set AI strength to 100%, so that my own AI doesn't have an advantage over the others.

4. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I did a GT3 test a couple of weeks ago at Nola with the GT3 Pack, Simtek and Apex.
    In all cars of the GT3 pack I was within hundreds of a second of each other, except for the Bentley which I was almost two seconds behind. For the love of me I can't get fast enough on that boat.
    Funny enough, with the Apex Bentley I was doing the same lap times than the rest of the cars of the GT3 pack which worked out pretty well. I'm slowest with the Simtek mod, 3-4 secs behind the GT3 pack but here comes the best part.....
    It seems to me like the Simtek AI is faster than the GT3 pack and Apex mod, which means that if I set up a race using let's say the Callaway and set the AI level at 95 with GT3 pack/Simtek/Apex as opponents, they will all race around the same pace, meaning there's no one specific pack of cars dominating over the rest, they're all mixed together in the standings and I had great fun racing all of them together.
    Keep in mind I've only done this at Nola and different users might get different results.

PS: I didn't try the URD EGT mod this time around, but if I remember correctly, it's the slowest of them all.

5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the answers guys !
    Good to hear there are minimal speed mismatches and they can be combined :)