Oh boy was i wrong about this....!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msportdan, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nope. Canned is where the sim artificially introduces forces in the wheel that have nothing to do with physics. For example reving the engine. The engine isn't connected to the steering in a car. You don't feel your wheel move in a real car when reving. In rF2 the forces on the steering rack are directly sent to the FFB. So if you want throttle in there it would have to be added as a faked effect on top of the physics based forces.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On top of that, you can have canned steering forces. rFactor 1 (I think) had a kerb vibration which worked at the time but was really just a wave at a given frequency based on car speed. So it was a real source of wheel feedback, sent to the user as FFB in the wheel, but it was canned.

rF2 will produce feedback from kerbs, but it's because of the tyre interacting with the shape of the kerb. Not canned :D

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah everything in rF1 was basically canned. The RealFeel plugin is what gave it realistic physics based FFB. I suspect that most people that think GSC is so much better than rF1 probably never used the RealFeel plugin in rF1. GSC comes with the RealFeel plugin preinstalled. That rumble strip canned effect was handy on older tracks that didn't have properly modeled 3D curbs though.

4. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Not only real feel. Leobodnar plugin parameters was added too. I remeamber using both plugins adjusting percentage off which on depend on vehicle.
    To me, Leobodnar plugin use to affect more on forces (dropping) when car slips. Leobodnar reads some tgm files i think (tire related to the mod). As i remember, techade was the guy behind that, adding bodnar parameters in only one plugin.
    At begging i still prefer my setting on realfeel/bodnar, but get used to rf2 and today i find it better.

So, as you are saying that kerbs are not canned, the rattling issue with g27 wheel on kerbs is caused by track moders? Because is perfect on track surface but sometimes exaggerated on kerbs at 0 ffb smothing.
    i know i can increase this value to get rid of excessive rattling but i think i miss i lot of details and prefer to keep at 0 ffb smothing (or ffb filter is called now) for better immersion (which is sometimes killed when i go over kerbs).

Is it possible to track moders decrease the kerbs forces so g27 owners don´t get rattling? That tool that shows when ffb is clipping, if set to close to clip when you are on track surface, goes crazy when driving over kerbs.

edi: in rf1 after using realfeel i was not able to back to default ffb and after using leobodnar´s plugin i was not able any more only realfeel because with bodnar´s plugin it was another level of immersion

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

RealFeel was purely based on the steering rack forces. Leo was more of a canned thing. But yes TechAde later added Leo's low speed logic so that a stationary car had some resistance. But that logic turned of once you were over 20mph or something like that.

As for rattling over curbs. Who really cares. It's just noisy because of the way the G27 works. I wouldn't want the track guys to flatten the curbs to make part of their user base happy at the expense of others. I have a G27 and run 0 smoothing too. I just ignore the noise over curbs. These wheels (G25/G27) are bullet proof.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

I can only agree with that. I dunno how many years I've had my G25, gotta be 7-8 years or more. The hardest work it ever had was in Richard Burns Rally, sit down for a whole evening of rallying and boy the wheel gets hot after a few hours. Plus all it's doing the whole time is rattling around and being snapped left and right real quickly. Still is tight with no slop, still goes well.

7. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Well, with only realfeel i was never able to feel grip decreasing forces and using with leobodnar plugins, i do. So not only under 20km/h for sure.
    Could not say about about what Techade did when he mixed the 2 plugins in one. But front grip effect(tires) doesnt belongs to original realfeel. It comes from Techade (i dont think he collected only leobodnar parameters to under 20km/h. As i said, grip effect only could be feel by me mixing both and adjusting percentage of which one (i think i use 10% to 20%, depending on vehicle of one of the 2 plugins that i cant remember now :p )

I care. But not to much. I only ask for a fix for that if do not interfere with ffb on track surface. If is not possible to moders to decrease the signal that is release to g27 wheel which resulting in rattling withou decrease overall feeling, i could live with that. Less happy, but could live...
    I remember the original rf ffb that we could change the signal on controller.ini i think it was 3 optionds: in curve, like this square or triangle but DO NOT take this for sure causing i´m speaking from memory

edit: and i agree too about g27 being reliable. I had mine for almost 4/5 years.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

TechAde and Kangaloosh made RealFeel the original RealFeel. TechAde also made an updated version for GSC which he later released publicly for rF1 users. It adds a bunch of new parameters for the Leo logic he added. I haven't messed with it in several years but I remembered there being a threshold for when the Leo effects turned on and off. I ran with all this stuff turned off because it required a lot more work to make it feel right. But you say you couldn't feel forces drop as grip went away but that is highly mod dependent. I always preferred the raw physics approach over the canned stuff. So if a car didn't produce realistic steering rack forces then I didn't drive it.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That is incorrect, well, at least regarding every single racecar I've ever been in.

"Fake" effect but still connected to the physics engine, therefore it's still relaying real physics info. These, and other "fake" forces are important to many drivers, including myself, in-terms of making up for a general lack of feel from sitting behind a desk, and therefore actually make overall driving experience even more realistic, even though technically, "on-paper", it's less realistic.

RF2 still allows this ask any track-modder / track-mod creator.

10. msportdan

msportdan Banned

totally..... slightly funny when people mention realism , when they are essentially playing video games at a computer desk, with a plastic wheel. :)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, and 99% haven't even raced a car a single day at a racing school, let alone compete in an actual season/championship, but everyone knows everything when it comes to simracing. Read a few books about handling & technique, watch videos which relay nothing about vehicle dynamics besides showing the moments which become large and obvious (and therefore visible from the spectator's POV), and you're practically an expert :)

12. yusupov

yusupov Registered

the ISI tintops, to me, feel significantly more alive than any other simcars...including modded cars in ISI engine. tbh while i find them a lot of fun, i definitely wonder if theyre a little too slippery. very controllable, but the GT cars are very, very different from iR/AC/R3E. ISI engine road cars i find to be excellent, but while i enjoy them, i definitely wonder about the hardtop racers. but more for the opposite reason you mention.

13. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Agree with that. Mostly big block engines from muscle car located on front of vehicle. when acceleranting on neutral, the car have torsion and you can feel on steering wheel. Not to mention the vibration too.

14. Comante

Comante Registered

The old Alfa33 had not a big block engine, but having a flat boxer engine, you could definitely feel the torsion of the whole chassis and suspensions while revving up aggressively in neutral.

15. TechAde

TechAde Registered

This used to happen in rF1 with RealFeel so presumably it still happens in rF2. You might have to look at telemetry or crank the FFB multiplier up to confirm.

Unfortunately we still can't 'write' to the ForceFeedback() API call otherwise this would be very easy to add via a plugin (along with all the other effects Spinelli is after).

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Om... what planet are you on that the engine is connected to the steering? The engine is connected to the drive shaft which is connected to the rear wheels. I figured people would twist my words. I never said that loading up the rear end of the car wouldn't have some impact on the front suspension which then loads the steering rack and then into the wheel. My point was, the engine isn't directly connected to the wheel so your not going to get these silly faked rumbling effects in the wheel that people always ask for.

Also, the uneven torque when accelerating which makes the car rotate can already be felt in rF2 because it would end up loading the steering rack. That is the beauty of attaching the FFB directly to the steering rack..... just like a real car. Basically if a force is missing in the FFB then it's because that force isn't being applied to the steering rack. Locking one wheel when breaking should theoretically be felt too because that would also load the rack. The vibration caused be ABS would not be felt in the wheel unless it cause one wheel to pull harder then the other. Go out into your road car and cram the brakes... you feel the brake pedal vibrate as ABS kicks in... but not the damn wheel. Come on guys. Your slipping into a fantasy world.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Once again, you aren't the only simracer with real world experience. There are TONS of them. Real racing is what draws a lot of them to simracing. It's what brought me to simracing.

Every thread turns into you trying to prove to the world that you have real life experience and everyone else is just a book reader that is completely beneath him. It gets old.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Still allows what? Canned ruble strips? The TDF still has this info, but as far as I know it's ignored by the sim (ignored as in, doesn't trigger canned vibrations). If a curb isn't 3D it will not be felt in the game.

Let me get more wordy though before you twist. Even flat curbs in rF2 could be felt do to grip loss. But that still isn't canned.

19. msportdan

msportdan Banned

dont miss the egos on here lol

20. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

It´s called a simulation software for a reason. I don´t think real f1 drivers (and many more from other series that uses this kind of softwares to practice) on static simulators could be considered that they are "gaming".
    But i do find also little bit strange the concept of "canned" effects. Google translator doesn´t help much on this.

If i was blind sitting on a chair i would say that the software is only "saying" to my wheel how to behave in different periods of time. I still can´t see much difference between "canned" to "bad simulated" or "simulated with less virtual data".