Ogre

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Traveller, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Traveller

Traveller Member

Ogre is a faithful computer program recreation of a 40 year old microgame from Steve Jackson Games. Nostalgia for me, as "Ogre" and "Melee" were the first non-traditonal games I played as a kid. They were followed closely by Dungeons & Dragons.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

I don't remember Ogre, but do remember playing Melee in high school, enjoyed for its simplicity and quick pace. Oh, yes, Steve Jackson knew what he was up to with those microgames sold in baggies!

I was introduced to D&D back when Greyhawk was new and Chainmail had to be investigated for being the early version. Swords & Sorcery, Aftermath!, Traveller, Godsfire, Junta, Cosmic Encounter... oh, the list will grow too swiftly if I keep rattling them off! We always wondered if the successor to Advanced D&D was going to be Terminal D&D. Playing Robo Rally & Magic The Gathering when they were nothing more than cardboard with crayon drawings on blank index cards. Being friends with Richard Garfield led to being an initial investor in Wizards of the Coast, a crazy idea that I still can't believe evolved into the mega monster marketing behemoth it became.

Mons Johnson was my freshman roommate in college. "Mons Goblin Raiders" is named after him.

Wow, memories!