Official Oculus Rift Consumer version one announcement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 6, 2015.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I can't wait to see if I get nauseated! Actually, I'm sure I will. I suppose a quick re-sale market will develop soon after the consumer versions are released. Might be wise to wait and see on that. Then take one's chances with a used one before possibly selling it in the second wave of re-sellers. I wonder if it will be possible to eventually overcome the nausea affect through conditioning. Hmm.. my doctor wrote me a script for Dramamine a few weeks ago. I still have a few of those left...

I also wonder if the investors are nervous. This whole idea could go down in flames.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  2. gkz

gkz Registered

what the hell are u guys talking about :D waiting for cv2 lol. what about htc vive ? Do u really think they would release something as big as consumer vr and not having a finish Product ? Both oculus and vive will be the future of simracing and no one will miss this. And i dissagree with triple screen plus 3d vision beats dk 2 no way. if u play dk 2 with downsampling and make the best image quality it allready beat anythingelse. But if the vive have higher resolution than cv1 would be stupid to wait for oculus....

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

E3 2015 next week ( 16th to 18th June )

hopefully new batch of VR news & updates

hopefully :

-month of valve hive VR release this year ( if this doesn't happen then good chance they'll be running late too) & preorder?
    -oculus CV1 updates & again stating Q1 2016 release
    -nvidia / AMD : VR support updates
    -maybe more surprises ?

also hoping advancements in those small walking platforms,
    I only use my PC for sim racing (100% Iracing at the mo)
    but would like to get back into arma (now 3 )
    on a simplistic level only as a relaxing diversion

http://youtu.be/tT5figLo8aI

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Adrian i wish you all the best with the walking platforms but for me that will always remain such a terrible object to have in the house which makes humans look so degraded when using it that i will never ever even consider such monstrosity :)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I see your point, I live alone with a deadicated room just for PC hobby stuff so I can hide away in there on a dark rainy day
    walking around in a virtual world ( & shoot people of course )

:cool:

6. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

The consumer versions "avalache" have been starte by Oculus Rift annoucing theirs, so yes i expect a lot of E3 annoucements, and Oculus Rift only annouced theirs because they have been working on it so hard for so long, currently the company is surerly in big big red numbers and the owners of the company, in this case Facebook altho it would be any company, is pushing them into starting making cash, so im pretty sure that OR people would love to hold on longer to tweak it even more, but since they got sold to an income monster company, they wont have the chance. So the unit could easily be less "finished" than you think, i predict especially on the API and UI side of things. But sadly, if Valve, HTC, Sony and whoever lese is now making their VR dont want to loose a massive chunk of market by not having their product out when their comptetitors do, they have to rush out their consumers versions out asap too, that will reduce how polished the first VR sets will be, the second wave of these versions, which i think will be in like a year or two, will be much much better product. That is atleast how i see it

7. gkz

gkz Registered

Valve will not release unfinsihed products. i bet money for it. And i don t know why ppl bring sony in the mix. sony is for ps4 only so has nothing to do with rf 2.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

A reminder:

11 am EST (16:00 UK Time)
    I believe it may be live streamed on Oculus' Youtube/Twitch channel.

9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Noone said anything about "unfinished", more like less finished than ideal. BUt i just read article that Valve will not be on E3, so no annoucements from them to hear about there.

Sony is not stupid enought to keep their VR only for PS, if they will release it exclusively to PS4, not for long or they will provide a way how to use it on PC too. THey would simply say no to too much money by doing that

10. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Agreed. It's hilarious, IMO, how far behind Oculus has fallen behind Valve. Valve and Oculus have basically been developing these things on the same timeline. And everything about Valve's solution is looking superior at the moment: IE no restriction on the drivers supporting DX9 (and don't go expecting extended to work with CV1, because it's not), and an amazing tracking solution. Basically finally delivering on the lies that Nintendo promised with the Wii controller.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

That Special Countdown better be leading to something spectacular. Because as of this moment, they're a massive distance behind Valve. In every category that counts. It's great that Lucky and company made off like bandits selling to Facebook, buy my allegiance is to the best VR solution for consumers. And right now Oculus is a bit of a joke compared to the rest (although they're tearing it up in the mobile space... which I guess is what's important. Ironically enough, the guy you quoted seems to ignore the fact that's a REALLY lousy experience compared to DK2 (resolution aside). Terrible tracking. 60hz. Oculus certainly has no qualms about releasing terribly compromised products. So before we start crying wolf about others ruining the market, let's focus on the gimped products Oculus IS already releasing.)

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

12. Depco

Depco Registered

Care to elaborate on what, exactly, oculus is behind valve on? I am genuinly curious. The best solution for gaming will get my money upon release.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

4pm this Thursday .....perfect !

I'm pre-ordering , I'll be refreshing their website from 3.55pm , want to be first in lol

14. Depco

Depco Registered

Does this mean that pre-orders are going to start on Thursday? Or is this an assumption you're making.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just an assumption

....could be wrong as the dk2's are still available for order, but here to hoping!

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Wondering if anyone actually reads.... countdown to THIS which I posted a while ago?! ^^^^

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

"Proof is in the pudding" so they say.

Apart from "Crescent Bay", Oculus have been developing behind closed doors for AGES. I seriously doubt they would compromise on their version of VR. In every interview they have said they want to get it RIGHT this time so that VR is not relegated to the bargain bin of history again!

I look forward to what everyone brings, but it seems (as always) some people feel the need to get militant when their choice doesn't match others. Your allegiances mean nothing in the scheme of things, just remember that.

If you like a certain product for your own reasons, more power to you. If you feel the need to talk **** about someone else's choice that doesn't match your own? Then you sir.... are a dick :)

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No need for that, Woodee, even though it's not in your nature to be serious when saying it.

Anyway, it is easier to follow in the wake, as many did. Oculus had to break through the metaphorical ice sheet, prove the concept, IMHO. Much harder, takes longer.

It happens all the time where someone has a great idea, builds on it, someone copies them and gets there first.
    http://kotaku.com/5976878/dayz-creator-i-am-angry-about-the-war-z

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

we might have a surprise on this thurs , oculus have been ( frustratingly ) quiet
    even during the time valve were not being.

I want both (oculus & valve ) to be great

I'm happy to get in quick for both ( I expect they'll be pre-ordering & some waiting involved etc ) & simply use the one I prefer
    ( don't really care who made it )

fingers crossed Iracing will support quickly again & of course other titles / sims follow suit

in the meantime I continue to enjoy my trusty dk2
    ( in dk2 I get no tracking problems, + seamless track & motion, guess I'm really just after higher res )

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

My good ol' english dry wit ;)