Official Oculus Rift Consumer version one announcement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 6, 2015.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

2. gkz

gkz Registered

good thing is there said dk 2 is enought to make it cv 1 ready. But yes this was sure that there will not make a dk 3 so it will work. But why should we get a oculus if htc vive is a step forward to oculus and comes 2015.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm throwing my money at the screen but it's not 2016 yet!

4. Miro

Miro Registered

This gonna sell like warm bread.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It looks as though valve is going to be first out of the gate ( with a consumer grade version )
    If they stick to their prior claims of high res-releasing 2015 etc

I'll prob pre-order a valve as well
    (Use my dk2 until Iracing supports the newer headsets )

Also I fear oculus could run late as their main focus seems to be mobile VR now due to facebook etc
    Valve might win in the deidicated pc market -who knows

I actually want integrated VR head phones now too ( less cables )
    Hope valve include these

Either way it's happening & I believe it will be big, I'm not to concerned which badge is on my headset

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

THIS.

Brand loyalty means nothing to me.

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered

More than anything, I'm hoping that because Oculus is taking pre-orders this fall, it'll put some pressure on HTC to not price the Vive too highly.

At this point, I think it's reasonable to assume there's going to be little/no differences in the viewing experience between the two. Carmack came out yesterday and stated there's no crazy resolutions coming in 2016. So to me I want a flawless motion control system that provides tactical feedback. It's not going to make any difference for race sims, but I'm a gamer too. And that excites me a ton. So I'm really hoping at least one of the major sims is there for the Vive launch. Because the Vive solution is a lot more appealing to me at this point.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

For my needs, only a system that allow to see my keyboard at will is what I'm looking for. I'm a flight simulators guy, but I don't like to use HOTAS sticks, so I rely on my tentacle fingers on the keyboard most of the time. This mean that I need a system that has a frontal camera and is able to let me see what I want at the press of a button. But this is an issue even for Rfactor2, just think about ingame chat.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

microphone available to speak?

We have to get out of the habit of using old control schemes with VR. You can't type in a real car, so why do it in a virtual one? Use the VOIP we already have for that and ditch the keyboard ;)

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Microsofts hololens I think will be big for flight sims ( when resolution high enough )
    ( for those that want to see & press actual real world controls as oppose to click a mouse onto virtual controls )

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

exactly, this isn't Sega vs Nintendo! If the Vive is good I may get that too, after all I'm rich and can afford both!

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Haven't used this myself with Elite: Dangerous yet but everyone raves about it, right now I don't require to use it but with a closed headset I'd imagine it sort of becomes mandatory, would certainly be handy for Racing Sims too...be more like talking to your Race Engineer.

13. Miro

Miro Registered

I bought ED and went straight into the game with the rift without trying it first on monitors. Never really played a space sim since wing comander?? I think, was on a 386.
    I had the impression I was half an hour in the game but spend like 4-5 hours. Was just doing the training and flying around in space and looking at the planets.
    I got such a lonely nostalgic melancholic feeling somehow in the space there, was really speechless. It was really a crazy experience since started playing it.
    Had no idea about the game really and what I should do. First time I was cought our of the "hyper drive"??, not sure if it is called like that, I nearly made myself wet. Had no idea what is going on man, all of sudden a maniac was shooting at me although I was just a poor man in the space. Of course got killed even without seeing him. I am really a noob in this game but it really has it's benefits being a noob in the space with a rift. Endless immersion. Ever since just managed to collect about 3000 credits lol.

14. coops

coops Banned

agree will be a couple to choose from on the market so it comes dwn to specs.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

agreed ED comes to life in VR -the hyper drive effects are brill,
    funny you mentioned that lonely feeling whilst in virtual space,
    I was watching interstellar & the film really gives the viewer the feeling that the crew is alone far far away

16. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Yeah. Voice Attack is pretty spectacular for this. And even vs button boxes, the majority of the things assigned to a button box are really things that would simply be communicated to the race engineer.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It would be even better when ISI (finally) get around to proper Spotter integration, remember they asked us on here ages ago about things the Race Engineer would say? Was a while back, but to have that with VoiceAttack and a Vive/Rift on.....#WetMyself :)

18. coops

coops Banned

19. 64r

64r Registered

And now the hardware requirements have also been announced, it's interesting to see what is required and the reason behind the requirements. Taken from Slashdot:

Oculus has selected the baseline hardware requirements for running their Rift virtual reality headset. To no one's surprise, they're fairly steep: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater, Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater, and 8GB+ RAM. It will also require at least two USB 3.0 ports and "HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture."

Oculus chief architect Atman Binstock explains: "On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift's rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering." He also points out that PC graphics can afford a fluctuating frame rate — it doesn't matter too much if it bounces between 30-60fps. The Rift has no such luxury, however.

Full article is available at: https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thanks for the info.

Whilst the dk2 resolution was an amazing improvement over the dk1, I was hoping for more than 2160x1200 for the cv1. It's only a 25% pixel density increase from the dk2, whereas the dk1 -> dk2 was a 103% increase.

Also, does anyone know what he meant by "At the default eye-target scale, the Rift's rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second"? Is that the "ideal" target to achieve presence or something?

400 million shaded pixels per second at 90Hz equals a resolution of 2828x1571. Which would equate to a 114% increase in pixel density over the dk2. Would give as much an improvement over the dk2 as the dk2 was to the dk1 (which was a lot).