Official ISI servers being halted for the timebeing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 25, 2016.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We are shutting off the Official ISI rFactor 2 race servers within the next few days. Our intention is to re-introduce them in the future when they can be used more effectively and their usage encouraged/rewarded.

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Care to explain more or you will keep on teasing as always? ;> I still have memories of your responses to my questions on twitter! :rolleyes: ;) I'm mega interested to see what it brings. I hope it's a start (maybe even placeholder) for iRacing rating system which is why many of my friends keep on coming back there. Sort of "dude, I have better rating than you do now, sucker!" "Oh hell no. Wait few more days and then you will see."

Wishful thinking? Too soon? At least I have a dream. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

One server for each car class, and fitting track(s) would be nice.

mel1c likes this.
  4. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I think you're reading too much into his post. To me it's basically a nice way of saying they're removing them because it's pointless at the moment, and it will stay that way unless a real reason for them pops up in the future.

Mibrandt likes this.
  5. Depco

Depco Registered

What he said. But that being said It would be nice to get another update and some news as to a release date for the first Studio 397 update. I for one am very excited to see what a larger studio with dedicated developers can do with this already fantastic sim.

6. Tom Lebeuf

Tom Lebeuf Registered

Honestly I hardly ever used them. It would be great if there was a "purpose" to it where there was an official series or something.
    A lot of leagues open their servers during non race periods and that is probably the best place to find others to race with. I personally only ever race on my league server. part of it is so that anyone looking for a league can see that there is actiin on it. The other reason being that the guys in my league are just cool dudes.

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

The constant download of tracks (bad ones aswell) is my problem with non ISI Servers and pick up racing... In AC you get a single track with specific cars for years. U know that server XY always runs the same config. To me, this is the only solution for rf2. People fill those servers because it is consistent.

Just my 2 cents from years of racing.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just do like iracing

rotate a few tracks (best quality ones, 3 on rotation would be fine) rotate once per week, keep same car

patrickkluiters likes this.
  9. Tom Lebeuf

Tom Lebeuf Registered

Totally agree. Downloading 5 tracks is annoying. I also don't understand why anyone would password their server during non-race times. At the absolute peak of multiplayer, there are maybe 500 people online so why not try to get traffic to your server? I'm on PST and weeknights are a ghosttown online at 8-10pm.
    Another thing I wish people would do is list the cars in the name of the server. It is dissapointing when you select a server based on the track, then get in to find it is a terrible mod that is being run.

I have found a lot of leagues in Rf2 rotate their content too much and it is really offputting. They'll go from GT3 to Formula 1 ...or worse, everyone goes crazy for any new mod and you get saturated with servers running poor content, just because it is the shiny new toy.

10. Depco

Depco Registered

I couldn't agree more. I, just a few minutes ago, got done downloading half a dozen tracks slowly I might add) only to find that the server contained nothing but AI racers in the 116th minute of a 120 minute race. I mean seriously, what admin sets up a server with 120 minute races as a practice server with 6 tracks. I understand having 120 minute races... but when your league races once a week, a 5-10 lap practice race is good enough. and adding 19 AI? leave the long races for the actual race weekend.

Not to mention some of the tracks were not installed in my computer due to their poor content. Now I have to go back and delete them again.

That hurts Tom. But I see the point you are trying to make. When I was with VSCR we did that very thing. Had a successful GT Cup, then switched to several other non GT related mods with little to no drivers showing for our races. Once we came back to GT (our original roots) drivers fell over themselves to sign up for the Sunday races. Our latest min-series, ER_P2 mod on 4 tracks, has been moderately popular but even that change has caused some drivers to sit out until we return back to the next GT Cup.

Saabjock likes this.
  11. Tom Lebeuf

Tom Lebeuf Registered

HAHA! What you are doing is TOTALLY different man. The Enduracer series is an offseason thing. Way different. The VRC is the best league out there. period. Switching not only mods, but SIMS as well is just bananas to me. It must have drove you crazy. I was in one that went from DW12, to gt3 to classic formula 1. That is pretty extreme and seldom works in my opinion.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

I reckon this problem with reporting AI drivers in player count came when rF2 multiplayer moved to using Steam matchmaker, it's something that annoys me as well. I had a quick look at Automobilista and it doesn't seem to suffer from this issue, at least when I checked Steam matchmaker now I saw no servers reporting fake drivers. Maybe @Marcel Offermans can shed some light on why this is different in rF2 than AMS when both are using the same Steam matchmaker implementation.

13. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Official S397-server disconnects freqently! It´s NOT stable!
    Happened several times now. (last time 2 minutes ago)

Other suggestions:
    Number of rotating tracks is waaaay too many. It´s annoying when you don´t like a track or want a specific one.