Off-Ground/Lifted Physics Issue

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Guimengo, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There's one aspect of gameplay that just keeps on coming back in rF2. Simulated forces and effects work well when all four wheels are on the ground but it seems that as soon as that scenario changes the car has different properties. What seems to happen is the car obtains weightlessness, its inertia level seems low and it picks up rolling/lift momentum very easily.

Examples:

At 1:05, 2:20, 3:02

These two videos highlight the lift aspect, the first has the rear of the car suspended in the air instead of having the weight of the car and gravity pull it down. The second video with the karts present the kart as an object with little mass once the lift has exceeded a certain angle and the ensuing momentum of the roll, ending with great flair as it is sent to the skies (historic F1s in Spa anyone? :p) after a collision with an object with the same properties - yet the colliding kart behaves differently while the flying kart appears to have 10% of its actual mass. This is present throughout the game as is not car-specific.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's what we class as a solid part of the body (non-crushable) hitting something solid on the track, that causes the lift. If they ever do underbody crushing or handling of that I would be very surprised.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not on the "gravity is breaking!!!" bandwagon (is that first vid in slow motion? Makes judging physics a little difficult...), but maybe there could be the ability to give 'solid' parts of a car spring properties in order to reduce very harsh collision effects.

Also, and I realize this could be difficult to implement, when two objects end up inside each other I think the separation force needs to be capped or reduced. Objects should never actually be inside each other, so if that happens they shouldn't be flung apart in an attempt to restore normality. That just highlights that something weird has gone on.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Crashed just now on track, Kart when berserk but when it landed it landed on the front (wing?) with the rear pointing towards the sky and it started spinning around on a vertical axel. about 6 loops until it went down, it was hysterical :p

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net