Oculus Rift Vr -price drops ( video interview )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Good news, Oculus "wants to flood the market"
    great they are promoting & working away hard

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It's PR speak. They're getting outsold and need to react before things get worse. HTC will do the same if sales start tilting Oculus' way or if LG releases this year and they start losing all their sales to LG.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the competition is good for us consumers, good for VR too
    next will be better VR hardware releases (2018) from oculus & HTC (+others)

good news all round

ps notice the 1080ti announced, hopefully price drops across current high end GPU's too

4. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I received an email saying they reduced the price of Oculus Touch by 50%! :eek:

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

my MSI gtx1080 gamer X now listed on ebay (£390 bid) I'll post link if anyone interested

6. AlanK

AlanK Registered

RaceNut likes this.
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Quote from that link:
    "There’s more too; the ridiculously powerful computers that VR headsets require today..."

This is incorrect and has been for a few months since the introduction of ASW for the Rift (I believe the Vive has something similar), it's about time this misinformation was more widely acknowledged as it's potentially harming sales.

Magus likes this.
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My 1080 just sold on eBay

Awaiting 1080ti release

Ps. Robo recall is a brill demo of vr with hand tracking ( touch controllers) the unreal 4 engine is almighty

RaceNut likes this.
  9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yeah, Robo Recall is very well done; I also spent some time flying in UltraWings using only the Touch controllers. Using the virtual control-stick and cockpit buttons/switches is quite interesting.

10. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Asynchronous preprojection for the Vive, and the difference with it on is like night and day, its off by default a lot of new vive users don't even know the setting is there.

vegaguy5555 and MarcG like this.
  11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Has anyone looked into open source VR (OSVR)?

I sounds pretty good and it's cheaper too. I see more games on Steam supporting it looks like. I haven't been keeping count though.

12. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

From my reading, the "open" part is something of a mis-nomer and can be a bit mis-leading; it has it's limitations and requirements but, remains to be seen if it can become the VR standard going forward. MS is bringing new VR tools and updates with more HMD's to follow from several manufacturers (new to market) so it's anybody's guess.

I haven't heard much on OSVR lately but, Oculus and Vive are known to be the most fleshed out options for consumer VR currently; there hasn't really been anything else that doesn't come with some significant trade-offs in one area or another. It's going to happen eventually but, may be a while.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

my gtx1080 went for £440 on ebay, cant complain at all
    will go for the MSI 1080ti gamer X which could be late this month/April

just putting the cooler back on my trusty GTX780titan to use in the meantime

tried google earth VR all I can say it was an experience that blew me away ( it works with oculus with a simple patch)

considering upgrading my mobo/cpu/mem for an intel i7 7700k

roll on rfactor 2 VR !

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  14. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

The only way I could drive in AC was with VR but now rF2 has spoiled that.

I seen the Lola T70 rip for AC so I got it to have a look at it in VR. Looks very nice. Can't wait to drive it in rF2 with VR.

It is quite shocking how empty the physics feel in AC with this car.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gtx 780 Titan back in whilst I await the MSI 1080ti gamer X
    (Should be released hopefully over next few weeks)

780titan works fine in VR some apps/titles have to have detail turned down but there's something seriously missing , the edges of objects are not as sharp (even at sane pixel settings) & motion not so fluid smooth

-a 980ti minimum , 10 series is the first VR (from nvidia) optimised card & it's well worth the upgrade , everything looks sooooo much better with my 1080

Can't wait to get my hands on the ti version

It will be mainly exploring our planet in google earth VR for me until I get the new card as I've been spoilt & a 780 just can not deliver the same experience

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I find my 980 Ti is over heating with VR. I have to run fans on 100% with everything else stock. If I try any overclocking it over heats in minutes. Even with everything stock I can see it's acting hot and there is red showing on the heat gauge.

I was thinking of geting a liquid cooler for the 1080 Ti when I get one.

17. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I'm thinking of adding LC when I upgrade as well but, there are many factors that can contribute to poor cooling performance; I have a monster air-cooler on the CPU and I think that helps the GPU run cooler but, there are times where I can feel the heat coming out of the PC and I know it's working hard.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

my 780titan has a liquid cooler on as that was always running hot,

my msi 1080 gamer X (twin fan ) didn't need it , it ran fine even with an over clock on it ,
    this is one of the reasons I'm waiting for the MSI 1080ti gamer X

I think the 10 series do run cooler anyhow so I don't think water cooling is needed,
    I could never even hear the fans on my 1080 ( I'm hoping the ti version will be same anyway ) & temps were never high

ps just been on google earth VR for 4 straight hours lol

RaceNut likes this.
  19. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not just about getting outsold by HTC, the price needs to go down even further for VR to become adopted by the masses. Currently VR headset is owned by 0.3% of Steam users which is pathetic, the number has barely increased from when I checked last autumn. The average user just doesn't care enough about it to invest $1000 in a headset + new graphics card.

20. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Good to know; I just read some horror stories related to Liquid-cooling; I'll have to do a lot more research before I upgrade later this year.