Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think motion sickness can be reduced even eliminated if you have a frame of reference, in this case the cockpit. If you ran on the bumper cam that would be puke city I think :) "Head bob" in games can cause people to feel queezy as it is movement that is happening without you moving your head.

3. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

Sim Sickness.... http://www.twentymilliseconds.com/post/all-about-motion-sickness/

For me (with DK2) I get it with FirstPersonShooters almost instantaneously inside the DK2. It is supposed to reduce or completely go away for most people with repeated use, but I'm not really into the current batch of FPS for VR so I can't say whether it's going away in them.

However in LFS the first time it was amazing (obviously) but when I went through the chicane (the default track) I would get that motion sickness feeling each time. I have been though it now about 25 times and am no longer getting that feeling so thank goodness I'm not one of those small % that will never shake the sickness.

I still get a small amount of sickness (momentarily and it does not linger) if I crash & spin the car and then quickly look out the left/right or rear windows. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  4. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdsymKrovA&sns=em

this should give a better option for spectator events as oppose to watching on tv
    multiple trackside VR cams placed around the track would be great
    (high quality high res cams & a high pixel count VR -CV1 will hopefully be enough )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  6. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Both Assetto Corsa and RaceRoom posted on their FB pages today about having DK2's and working on support :)

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for letting us know Steve -that's fantastic news

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

found it, shame I'm not a big fan of AC, but nice to see their enthusiasm ....let's roll!

[​IMG]

9. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Agree , nice to see other sim get on board -- oh and mine is --- Status:pROCESSING --- ordered it June 10th

10. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Oooo Samsung, nice! Only issue there is latency.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

this to house a mobile phone, maybe great for movies etc
    i'll not be ordering

hope an upgrade kit comes for the dk2 using the same screen though

this technology is moving quickly, good for us + more compatibility coming!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well the DK2 is basically the same hardware only not modular. At least with this rig you're getting a device that does a lot more than just VR. If I understand correctly the goggles are more than just a housing. It has it's own sensors which are interfaced to the phone via USB. So basically the phone is really only used for the screen. If you already own a Note 4 and the goggles are reasonably priced, it may not be a bad deal. Hopefully the retail Oculus will have comparable resolution. I'm really concerned that 960x1080 per eye isn't enough.

BTW, Oculus partnered on this project.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It also has a passthrough button which uses the camera on the phone to let you see outside the goggles without taking them off. That would help solve the problems of seeing your controls.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

noel, yes that's as I know it, will be good for films/media & shopping etc, nice it has a higher res screen but agreed a higher one would be better, is they use that screen for a dk2 v2 I'll order ( or an upgrade kit ) , saying that the dk2 in movie mode looks better than you'd think so a 1440 screen might be (just) enough

this version could become very popular & I think it will be very cheap ( 99 US ) so it's a good buy especially for those with that phone or willing to opt for that phone for their next contract

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Said to be just below $200 USD.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/6770/gear-vr-release-window-pricing-range-revealed/

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks for info woodee ( was thinking of getting one for my mum if she upgrades her mobile, she'll love it )
    of course samsung have priced it not oculus

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  19. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

It's pretty exciting stuff. I'm not sure I can throw around £650+ on this (£500+ for Note 4 and maybe £150 for Game VR)
    It could be awesome for movies but with no positional tracking I think gaming will be very limited.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

There is positional tracking, using the gyro and accelerometer built into the phone. But it's not great for VR and hence why dk2 moved to a 6 dof infra red camera positional tracking solution. You can expect dk1 type tracking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.