Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miro

Miro Registered

"Un Zeppelin" :cool: , awesome. Do not understand a word but just awesome.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Good for you, this is RF2 forum btw and our first choice is Rf2 or we wouldnt be here ;)

3. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

@1959nikos.
    Would you ever go and :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  4. Rik

Rik Registered

+1000

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Does the Rift fully cover your horizontal FOV like in a triple screen setup, or do you see blackness/the device itself if you move your eyeballs left and right around 60 or 70 degress?

I tried playing rF2, GSC, and AC yesterday with visible and moving steering wheel and arms on, to say it's awful is an understatement, not to mention it feels very arcade as if I went back 15 years to using a gamepad on a console. Which is fine for fun, casual, "pick up" sim-racing, but not so much for serious sim-racing. It's also distracting and seems to mess with my head as I find myself almost subconsciously paying attention to the In-game arms/hands/wheel movement, Turning the wheel and arms/hands back off made me feel "on top" of and connected to the car again as if I was back inside the car, a machine wrapped around me, rather than playing a video game. The visible, moving wheel and especially arms/hands, also seemed to affect my driving and sense of the car negatively (again, fine for just casual, quick "pick-up" simracing).

The issue described above, and input lag, are my primary concerns with the Rift. Does anyone have any links to tested total input-lag tests of the Rift? Not head movement input lag but, you know, controller input lag that many review sites analyze/test these days for monitors...

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

To those telling people to go to other forums...
    This is a thread for Oculus. Virtual Reality is the most innovative and promising technology for gaming, simulation and part applications that will come out soon.

All other Racing platforms seem to have realized about that and will be supporting oculus soon.

That's the only reason we talk about the other sims. The only official response by ISI staff appears to be "no rush".

Therefore I would recommend to those people trolling in this thread to stop reading it and leave us alone commenting.

Some fanboys attitude is really childish and I will be back to leave them in a ridiculous contradiction when that happens. I will in any case add them to my ignore list since they have proved well enough that they never have an intelligent and useful comment.

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Not going to comment too much on it, other than to say I've never felt the need to blindly defend one sim to the death or confine myself to one. I can say really positive things about LFS, GSC:E, rF2, AC, and iracing. They're all special in their own unique ways. They also all have things that could use addressing (yesterday.) Taking that attitude, I don't think it's wrong to talk about other games. Because sim racing is better for having them all.

First you'd also need to get some tests showing the input lag results of those games running in 3D Vision (isn't that how you play your games)? I'd bet a truck full of donuts that the Rift has lower input lag than same game in 3D Vision.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Spinelli

seems like ZERO lag to me, 1:1, but I do run a fairly high end PC which is eating everything within the rift alive
    seamless fluid tracking ( no vsync no cap ) never experienced anything this 1:1 on any monitor setup I've owned
    I suspect users that are having problems are running on low to mid end PC and instantly turning all settings/options to max
    (something that dosnt make sense to me)

you need to really try one (connected to a decent PC) YouTube vids show you nothing.

will never ever go back to a conventional screen setup

p.s the non shutter 3d is very very nice too & natural looking

9. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Absolutely. The major thing I'd add: it needs to be native Rift support.

Added lag is the biggest reason I won't touch any of the third-party apps.

10. Rik

Rik Registered

..... when you not reach the goal, you use other things to attract people, for example oculus.
    this is a rF2 oculus thread. If other game have oculus, this change nothing.
    We want a simulation and not an amusement park. priorities are very different such as rain, tire physics, and more. I hope so.
    oculus or morpheus or xxxxx I hope they are the last things to think about.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes of course the rift has some latency but compared to everything else I've ever owned it feels zero

allowing my ffb wheel (turned up) to rock quickly & looking at half of it & the other half in the rift (slightly pulled up) there is complete sync (so half is virtual & half is real joined together pretty much perfectly)

eyes left & right can see the sides, I'm ok with it as I wear a ski mask all day-which has less fov than the rift) when I'm away snowboarding & I go pretty quick,
    remember in the rift one looks around naturally & the 3d image seems to wrap around your head

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That would be nice if the Rift had less input lag than my ASUS VG248QE which happens to be one of the lowest input lag monitors, period...I need to do some research if 3D Vision introduces any input lag or not; can anyone provide a link to some proper tests/data? I'm very curious. I remember reading once that it does indeed add a touch.

Even the fastest gaming monitors have input lag. I have a hard time believing the Rift somehow, magically, doesn't have any input lag. Read any review of any monitor in the last 10 years, every single one has some.

What about when you turn your eyes 60 or 70 degrees left or right, Adrian? Just how much of your full peripheral vision does the Rift show before you can see blackness/the device itself?

EDIT: Just saw your reply above, Adrian. So the fact that the Rift's vision/screen abruptly ends in your peripheral vision isn't a problem?

What is the correct 1:1 real-life vFOV used when using the rift?

If the total input lag of the Rift can be tested and shown to be at least amongst the top gaming monitors on the market (eg. ASUS VG248QE, PB278Q, BenQ XL2411T, XL2411Z, XL2720Z), and if the peripheral vision not fully covering your entire peripheral vision like in a triple monitor setup isn't too annoying or noticeable when looking left or right, then I will most likely jump onboard for the CV1 or CV2 (I wonder what the CV2 specs could be ;) ) . I would just have to figure a way around the in-game visible and moving arms/hands/steering wheel (which I find absolutely atrocious when trying to seriously drive in any sim).

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

see my post 1009

strange order mixup lol

14. PaulG

PaulG Registered

The thing is, there is literally not a bigger input lag Nazi on the planet than John Carmack. Carmack was obsessed with this subject long before he got involved with Rift. Not only is he obsessed with exploiting every bit of performance advantage that OLED has over LCD, but he's obsessed with working with the GPU vendors to implement rendering techniques under the hood too. And he's legendary at this type of stuff too. So it's not just idle speculation, he's always had practical solutions to them. And he's never been in a bigger position to shape GPU directions before.

If that all sounds fine in theory, I'm here to say it's working in practice too. Even with DK2. My brain is incredibly sensitive to input lag (to a degree I wish it wasn't). Rift is just plain better than 3D Vision in this regards.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You want simulation but dont want to actually feel to be in the car as well?

You are losing 50% of the realism. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I finally made my rift to work with demo and Tuscany apps and the sensation is unique. I now need to be able to configure LFS to see how does it feel within a car. I couldn't make the rift work with it yet. I hope someone can help me if I am still unable.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

spakis

I'm glad you got it going, hope my PM's were of some help, I know your using a laptop make sure your turning down details to maintain a high fps ( try uncapped fps & no vsync ) then everything should be seamless
    ( LFS seems to ceiling cap at 333.3fps for some reason)

17. crz

crz Registered

This works for me:

- Install the patch from the bottom of first post:

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86202

- Set Rift to extended mode in the config utility

- Start LFS --> Options --> View --> Choose 3d at the top --> Choose Oculus Rift

- Exit LFS and set the Rift as your primary monitor

- Rotate the display by 90°, this is a bit tricky because you can't see much through your Rift.

- Start LFS and you should be asked to calibrate your headtracking

- Options --> View --> Low persitence mode on/off (I need to switch it off and on again to make it work)

- Maybe adjust the HUD position in the options

- Done and enjoy :)

18. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

LFS is amazing in the rift. If rF2 had proper rift support it would sell thousands more copies and surely ISI are a business so it would be a missed opportunity :)

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for all your help. You indeed have helped me with your pms.

20. Rik

Rik Registered

Spakis, I understand you.
    I lose perhaps 20% or less of realism. I use the 3D and the TrackIR. Actually not always use the 3D. it fatigues my eyes.
    You talk of childish, it seems to me the opposite. you know the kid who tells to his mama: I want ice cream, I want ice cream and then he cries if the mother does not buy ice cream?
    I seem to see the same scene. instead of ice cream the oculus.
    Why ISI should develop now for a DK2? The important thing is that they are ready when there will be the CK1 .... and it still takes about 1 year.
    For now. how many users have the DK2?
    I do not have much money to spend, and will not buy a device that will be obsolete in less than a year.
    I wait for CK1 or Morpheus or xxxxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.