Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkz

gkz Registered

But u have to say there are still no vr support from other simrace titels. And even if they make a nativ support i doubt that it will be like lfs. LFS is for sure better with dk2 than a other setup but its just one game. Project cars is out of the list.
    what i don t understand is as a developer like ISI u must love simeracing and believe in ur product so how can u not want to try out ur on product with a oculus rift ? Because i read so much about its not mainstream ...
    but a real Simracestudio without a rift is fail in my opinion or just makes no sense. But for now we don t know when racing games get there vr support so i would not recommend to buy a dk 2 its for me 50/50.

2. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

DK2 is not for consumers, is to have a glimpse of what's coming. If you want a quality experience just wait for CV1

3. gkz

gkz Registered

yes its a developer version but the game must still support it. CV 1 don t mean that u can play every game in vr. The oculus team said that the cv1
    will based on the dk 2 sdk. So no dk 2 support = no cv 1 in the future.

4. GoesTo11

GoesTo11 Registered

Have we heard whether ISI has ordered a DK2? I really hope they aren't going to rely on third party support like with DK1. I found DK1 support in rF2 to be pretty bad. I wrote this about the DK2 on the AC board:
    DK2 is light years ahead of DK1. I really had no desire to drive in the DK1. The screen door effect got more prominent the more I drove as did the individual colour elements in the pixels. Cars ahead of you looked blocky and lacked all detail. It was hard to see the track ahead. I couldn't solve the drift issues which just led to more vr sickness. It was super annoying to lean forward to check a dial on the dash only to have it move away from you. With the DK2 the resolution is just enough for me. If you look, you can see the screen door and some of the individual colour elements but they disappear when driving instead of becoming more annoying. You can see the track ahead fairly clearly and cars have a little more detail and when they are too far ahead of you the look more blurred than blocky. The head tracking is amazing. You lean forward and you get closer to the dash. You naturally turn your head to look at the mirrors and into corners. There aren't any drift issues since the camera corrects your position. DK1 was cool to try out but was just a novelty for me. DK2 is enough of a step that I would choose it over triple monitors.

While LFS is very good, I'm really waiting for DK2 support from rF2, AC and iRacing. Whoever gets it first will get most of my playing time.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

"Have we heard whether ISI has ordered a DK2?" -I was wondering the same thing, again I'd be surprised if they don't have one already.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would bet some beers they didn't.

7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I was thinking of going down the projector route but I may change my mind now,very similar price....

8. Adrian

Adrian Registered

+1 The only people that got DK2's early were the devs that had their games working with DK1/had shown interest in VR.

ISI/Tim said, IIRC, that they will support the consumer version of the Rift and with their development philosophy of not releasing stuff till its (nearly) complete I doubt we'll see anything much before that. My hope remains in the hands of Tridef/Vorpx/Vittorio ;)

It's a shame they didn't get a share of all these sales that are being generated by VR hype. RF2's FFB in VR just clicks for me more than any other sim I've tried in the rift (Iracing/AC/LFS/R3E/PCARS/RF1)

9. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

So, Tridef does work ok with DK2. rFactor runs and looks ok with some issues of course. No chromatic correction, probably no low persistence.

Not sure if vittorio is still around but if it's possible to create a DK2 plugin to enable head tracking I think rFactor could be a very nice experience in DK2.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

...... rfactor2 official support with the dk2 :

[​IMG]

11. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Yeah, I doubt we will get official support before the consumer version. But rF1 and 2 where two of my favorite games with the DK1 and Tridef. Vittorio made a fantastic plugin that had great head tracking and even keybindings for common rift operations like resetting the view. I think he did order a DK2 so if he can do the same for that it would be pretty awesome. Tridef seems to work ok at the moment and I'm sure they will update at some point to fix the chromatic aberration.

12. gkz

gkz Registered

rfactor 2 works with tridef right now ? with positional tracking ?

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

no, we have to be like the big white bear for now

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Besides the Oculus Rift, what else do we have coming? Morfeus or something from Sony, right? I am really looking forward to that one. I would one day like to replace my television with a projector and have a proper setup I can use for racing. The VR set would at least help with a better screen "placement" and the additional benefit would be the wide view. Can't wait :).

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The huge advantage in development of oculus vs sony will be simply impossible to overcome by Christmas time.

Whoever who watched Sony's presentation at E3 will know that at that time what they had was an empty box of plastic in the prototype they showed. Some stupid retrospective overview; no ingame or technology showing videos; only the bad English speaking japo boring the audience. By Christmas time Oculus will have his CV1 ready to destroy the market.

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I find it hard to believe OR will have a consumer product by this Christmas. I'm guessing nothing until fall of 2015, anything before then would be incredible - especially Christmas!

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm guessing the same thing maybe pre-orders from march or June 2015 ....deliveries starting in August to November

total guess though, depends which way they are going on the screens
    everything else is pretty much sorted on the hardware just some more work on their SDK / drivers but bet that will be working to a decent standard this year

I like my dk2 so much I'm not fussed even if it's 2016
    I'll be pre-ordering on the first day again though

18. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Anyone who thinks Christmas 2014 is flat out delusional to how manufacturing works. And on the software side, they'll be lucky to have the SDK kinks of DK2 worked out by December 14.

If we're lucky, we'll get CV1 before Christmas 2015. And if you watch John Carmack's speech at SMU, you'll see the next great screen hope is flexible OLED. If they can find a way to curve the OLED in the same curvature as the optics lenses, it would mean a substantial jump in screen quality (I'm assuming its by not wasting so much screen and being able to focus on most of it). 1440p and curved OLED is what I think they're ideally hoping for. A 2014 release is fantasy and people need to accept it right now.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmwhjfVSbk

Carmack discusses it at length starting at 2:10:55. Keep in mind, he gave this speech on April 25th, and it was over three months old before it was finally posted on Youtube. So a lot happened between that period. Including the partnership they formed with Samsung (who has already shown 1440p curved OLED screens).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

curved oled screens wow, bet it will be super wide too

really happy with my dk2 ........but the future is bright (-:

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess that it all depends on the marketing strategy they use.

You can delay the release date until you have the curved screen - ultra high resolution - 1ms input lag response - 7.1 dolby surround - 3d webcam ultralight kit and leave no room for improvement.

Or you can release a CV1 with barely some minor upgrades in resolution and weight wrt to DK2. The revolution is so high that you will sell millions of them anyway. You can next year releaee an upgrade and us freaks will buy it too. Just need to see iphone phenomenum and think that Facebook is behind all these and will push OR for a quick Release. At least thats how I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.